All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Question for IBS-C folks: relief w/o fiber or probiotics? new
      #180162 - 05/19/05 03:27 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

I don't really expect to go the day after an enema. But the second or third day, things start to get really uncomfortable. Energy drops, malaise sets in, appetite plummets, can't concentrate... I know the signs by now.

I left a rather strong message on the GI clinic voicemail at Cedars-Sinai today. Still no return call. Sigh.

I'm eating "mush" only, strong peppermint tea, and I decided to do small doses of probiotics and fiber. I'll try the Natural Calm (magnesium) and, if necessary, Miralax. I've also ordered the "Fruit-eze" and will start that this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone.
Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I assume from this ... new
      #180288 - 05/20/05 07:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

that the green apple juice didn't work. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope one of the other suggestions people have made here - or one of the other items from your cabinet of retired treatments - will help.

I also hope you'll consider seriously Linz' suggestion that you may have had both SIBO and IBS and that curing the SIBO has still left you with IBS. It sounds logical to me.

One question, if I may. What tests did Cedar-Sinai use to diagnose you with SIBO?

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I assume from this ... new
      #180290 - 05/20/05 08:07 AM
badlydrawnboy

I haven't tried the green apple juice yet. Had to borrow a juicer from a friend. Admittedly I'm a bit skeptical when more "extreme" measures, like strong senna tea, huge doses of magnesium and stool softeners have failed. But I suppose it's worth a try.

Tomorrow I receive the "Fruit-Eze" product which I'll try as well.

Cedars uses a hydrogen breath test to determine the presence of bacterial overgrowth. You can learn more about it at: "http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/2636.html"

Chris

Fruit-eze new
      #180298 - 05/20/05 08:26 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

That stuff looks wicked! Prunes, raisins, dates, prune juice! Yikes, tummy ache. Let us know if it helps. Maybe I'm just assuming this would be "painful" on the bowels.

Please let us know how it "goes down" will you?

Also, senna, aloe, and cascara cause permanent cathartic colon. so, if you've been taking these for a while, it could have caused you some of the lazy colon syndrome your experiencing now.

Check out the research library. web page and web page

Re: Fruit-eze new
      #180314 - 05/20/05 08:59 AM
badlydrawnboy

For me, dates, raisins and prunes don't cause any problems. So I'm optimistic about this formula.

I don't take senna or any of the cathartic laxatives regularly. Only when things get really stuck. Which, before this antibiotic treatment, wasn't all that often as long as I was doing my regular daily routine.

The aloe product I've been on for quite a while is called Atri-aloe. There seems to be some disagreement amongst my various docs and health care practitioners and this board as to whether it is habit-forming and damaging to the colon. Perhaps my recent experience is the proof that it is. Or maybe it's just that my colon is "paralyzed" after such an intense drug treatment. Who knows.

I had to do antother enema yesterday. It's always a trade-off, because allthough it alleviates the constipation, my gut is always super traumatized for at least a day or two afterwards. Lots of bloating, cramps, gas and pain.

Sheesh, it's a lose-lose battle right now. Hoping for a change. I'll keep you all posted on the Fruit-Eze and if I can ever reach my doctors again at Cedars.

Chris

I just really symphathize with you Chris new
      #180321 - 05/20/05 09:14 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I know how awful chronic constipation is on our quality of life. I haven't gone all week and I am so desperate for relief.

And very discouraged and confused over all the differing answers/opinions on what is safe and what is not. One internal med doc told me Aloe was okay, another 2 told me it was not. And Heather's health reports in the Library go against aloe too.

So many differing views. How are we non-medical people suppose to know if what we are doing to our bodies is causing irreversible damage. We are talking serious consequences for our bodies and the future functioning ability of our organs. This is serious stuff not to be taken lightly or screwed around with. Certainly worth being taken seriously.

What is wrong with doctors. Their oath says to first do no harm. So how can they be doing us harm so nonchalantly? And if it were them in this pain and agony, you bet they'd be working harder to find some relief and some answers so that the quality of their life was bearably.

Re: I assume from this ... new
      #180368 - 05/20/05 11:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Ah, well, in the unlikely event you do try the green apple juice, I'd like to hear your results: good, bad, or indifferent. Sheer curiosity on my part.

Good luck with the "Fruit-Eze".

Thanks for the info on the breath test.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I just really symphathize with you Chris new
      #180422 - 05/20/05 03:52 PM
badlydrawnboy

Cyndy,

I was really moved reading your post because I can relate to all of it so deeply. It is incredibly frustrating and confusing when there's so much disagreement out there about what is and isn't good for us. And when we're talking about something as fundamental as our health and well-being, it can be truly discouraging.

It's so hard to know who to trust and who to believe about all of this. In the past my own intuition has been my guide. But after six years of following "my gut" (sorry, just came out this way!) and not getting anywhere, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm lucky in that I've had extremely caring doctors (except the most recent Cedars clinic), many of whom have been through some kind of chronic illness. But even then, they're only human and they do the best they can based on their experience and knowledge.

Ultimately I guess it just comes down to the fact that we know very little about the gut and why it gets sick and what to do about it. It seems like the more we learn, the more we have to learn. It is, after all, a second brain and therefore has all of the complexity and mystery that comes along with that.

The other issue seems to be that what works for one person doesn't work for another. That is abundantly clear to me anytime I visit a message board like this one. This creates a lot of confusion as well.

I wish the medical community had more accurate and sophisticated methods of diagnosing "IBS". I really believe that IBS is actually several different conditions that haven't been named or discovered yet, and that is why there is no single treatment that works for everyone. In the meantime, people like you and me suffer a lot because we just have to stumble around and try everything. We're the guinea pigs in a really painful experiment.

I really hope you are able to find something that works for you Cyndy. I'll continue to share my experiences in the hopes that anything I learn may be of value to you, and others here.

Chris

Re: Question for IBS-C folks: relief w/o fiber or probiotics? new
      #180436 - 05/20/05 09:59 PM
ibsfm

Reged: 05/20/05

This stuff is amazing, especially if you suffer from constipation! IT DOES have fiber... but you should check this site and click on product, then ORGANIC CLEANSER. I do not sell this product (so I'm not pulling a fast one)... I just use it with good results.. plus it's all natural.

http://www.greenlineorganic.com

Good luck!

I personally would NOT try that product.
      #180458 - 05/21/05 05:55 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Some of the ingredients in it are known to cause gas, cramping & pain in people with IBS. One of the cautions is also:
Quote:

Do not use this product if there is abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, rectal bleeding, or if one is pregnant or nursing an infant.

Who with IBS does NOT have abdominal pain or nausea??

It doesn't look like a safe product to me.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1753 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20864

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review