All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HOw to get in the amounts of water we need and not empty the stomach
      #178560 - 05/12/05 02:37 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

I am getting alot of flack from my Dr for not drinking enough water, but when I try to explain that I am eating 4-5 times a day, allowing for 7 hrs of sleep. And trying not to empty the stomach, it's hard for me to get all the water I need. So does anyone have a trick or plan that helps you get a good dose of water to flush the kidneys and bladder and still stay stable?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HOw to get in the amounts of water we need and not empty the stomach new
      #178562 - 05/12/05 03:02 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

The best way I find is to sip some throughout the day. Always have a water going by your side. Don't drink large quantities of water with your meals - it can interfere with digestion. With that said, practically everything else goes.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#178569 - 05/12/05 03:29 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I drink at least a half a pint of water when I get up in the morning. I keep a water bottle (750 ml with a sports-cap) on my desk and try to empty it by lunchtime, by sipping intermittently, and then refill it at lunch. If the water is in your face you will drink it. I used to be so bad at drinking water and now I am a champion!

A word of caution though, stay away from ice cold water, it can start a spasm very quickly.

I don't really understand the link between you not being able to drink water due to not emptying your stomach.. can you (or anyone else) fill me in on this?

Thanks

--------------------
S.

#178573 - 05/12/05 03:43 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Others have given you good hints on sipping throughout the day - I do that too. Also, if you exercise it reminds your body to drink water to stay hydrated. Drink your water from a bottle or a glass, not through a straw, as they can cause gass. Also, I sometimes add a squeeze of lemon to make the water a bit more appealing.
Good luck!

#178588 - 05/12/05 04:39 PM
Harmony

One of the imporant first line of defense in Heathers diet and balance of soluble and insoluble is to not let the stomach get empty. I, for some reason, believe that if I am drinking a load of water, I am emptying my stomach of digestive enzymes and food being digested. That I am then rushing to fill the stomach with soluble right away so I will not spasm. Perhaps I have over thunk this one:)

#178589 - 05/12/05 04:43 PM
Harmony

Thanks Mindy..I have just started to add lemon into the water and a pinch of sugar. I just learned I have cystitis of the bladder, which I hope to get into remission with treatments. So the push for water is to help detox and keep the acid levels low. But sadly one thing can trigger the IBS if I don't keep my wits about me...:)

#178600 - 05/12/05 04:58 PM
jhoffa1986

Reged: 05/09/05

Another good question is if tap water with chlorine is something which we should not consume.

#178602 - 05/12/05 05:04 PM
Harmony

Great Question, I am using Spring water to avoid the flouride. I have test strips to be sure the water is at a neutral 7 not above that, but not below a 6. I just have to start getting more water in my system, but what causes the IBS to flair, is that we wash everything out of the stomach and sometimes causes the spasms. I put fiber in my water to try and help to prevent the stomach from feeling empty.

#178644 - 05/12/05 07:49 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I have heard that distilled water or water that has been filtered with reverse osmosis is the best. I usually buy distilled water in the big jugs at the supermarket.

--------------------
Dana

#178651 - 05/12/05 08:58 PM
jhoffa1986

Reged: 05/09/05

I read that tonight as well, do most grocery places sell this filter?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2595 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2977

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review