All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
constant pain and depression, need help
      #17809 - 08/19/03 10:24 PM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

HI, I haven't posted much since I joined, I feel so isolated and alone. It seems most of you have pain related to different foods but my pain is constant and seems unrelated to anything. From the time I get up until the time I go to bed, my stomach hurts. It literally feels as though someone ripped my intestines to shreds and stuck them back in, putting an anchor in them for good measure! I also have nauseau on and off all day and I belch constantly. I have been very strict following the ibs diet for about three weeks now. Gave up everything I was supposed to, I excercise every day. The only thing I;m not very good at is taking enough fiber, I only take one fibercon tablet a day. PLEASE help if you can, let me know if there are others like this, I feel alone and scared. I don't want to live the rest of my life like this, it's not worth it. Is the fiber the key? Is time the key? Is it just like this in some people forever? I feel desperate and appreciate any input. Thanks so much for listening. Marla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: constant pain and depression, need help new
      #17821 - 08/20/03 05:42 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Marla,
It does get better! Hang in there! When I first started this eating plan of Heather's, I was depressed too. I felt so horrible every day. I would wake up in the morning with stomach pain and go to bed every night with it hurting. I remember waking up crying because I did not feel like I could make it through another day. I could not imagine my life like that forever!
I will tell you that it takes time for your body to adjust to eating differently. I have followed Heather's guidelines for about 3 months now, and I can tell a noticeable difference now. I have more good days than bad ones.
I don't know whether you have IBS-C or IBS-D (or both), but I have IBS-C and I know now that I was making my situation a lot worse by avoiding insoluble fiber and eating only soluble fiber. Once I started faithfully taking the fiber supplements and eating insoluble fiber too, I saw a big improvement. (I tried all the fiber supplements and have finally settled on Citrucel. The Fibercon tablets and Metamucil gave me horrible gas pains.) Everyone is different. If the fiber supplement is not working for you, try another one----and try upping the dosage. I have to take mine 3 times a day (with meals) for it to help.
Also, it is trial and error as to what you can eat. I was eating oatmeal every day for breakfast and was doing so poorly, that I decided to stop that. Once I switched to Rice Chex cereal with rice milk, I saw a big improvement. Just keep trying different things until you feel better.
Let us know what you are eating and how much fiber supplement you are taking, and maybe some of us could make some suggestions as to what could help you. We are here for you!

#17831 - 08/20/03 08:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

So sorry you feel so bad, I do understand. I have had IBS C for about 17 years now. The last couple of years it has been really bad. For the last 3 months I have also had pain eveyday, and nausau and bloating. Some days are better than others, some days I can't stand to put clothes on because the slightest pressure hurts so much. I have not be able to figure out exactly what is causing mine either. Like Beaglelover said, I too was not eating enough insoluable fiber when I first started Heathers diet, my constipation is a little better since adding more insoluable fiber. I find that the heating pad helps the most and I did get my doctor to write a prescription for Vicidon, its a pretty strong pain pill and I only take it occasionally. I also take Mira-Lax everyday and 8 fibercon a day. I think you really need to increase your fiber supplement. Just try to remember, you are not alone and it won't stay this bad forever! Make sure you are drinking a ton of water!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17833 - 08/20/03 08:39 AM
ArynMagoo

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: California

I do also agree with them. I have gone through some really bad days but then have some great ones.
If you hang in there i promise you can get through it. I was crying everyday until i found this wonderful website. Everyone on here helps so much and you don't feel alone anymore.
also what insoluble fibers are you guys talking about that you eat that you can tolerate the most because i have too basically cut all of them out of my diet?
And you just take the pills right before you eat and it helps?

#17835 - 08/20/03 08:51 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

When I say I have added insoluble fiber, I'm talking about eating things like a peeled diced peach with my Rice Chex cereal in the morning, having canned green beans with my dinner, or having the small canned diced fruit for lunch. (I have IBS-C so I think this fiber helps me. I can't have a banana, but this may be different for those with IBS-D.) I still stay shy of salads, but I will fix a grilled chicken fajita wrap and include grilled (or sauteed) green bell peppers, red peppers, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. I would never eat these things RAW or even undercooked because they would upset my tummy if I did. But cooked very well(almost charred on the grill) they taste great and this has helped me to normalize my BM's.
Never eat these things on an empty stomach. Add them to your meals as long as you are eating some soluble fiber such as potato, rice, and bread.
As for the fiber supplements, I drink a tablespoon of Citrucel in water before each meal. This way you have some soluble fiber in your stomach before you eat any of this insoluble fiber. I found that the regular orange flavor of Citrucel, not the clear mix, tastes and mixes better and is working great for me.
I know everyone is different, but I hope these suggestions help you. It's worth a try if you are still having problems.

#17845 - 08/20/03 10:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I can tolerate a lot more insoluable fiber than most. I do eat salads (with bread of course) I put rice cheese, grilled chicken or tuna, chick peas and pickles or peas on my salads with non fat dressing. Hummus is usually tolerated well and taste great on pita or lavash. I also do a lot of canned fruits and veggies. I also eat a bowl of raisin bran with rice mile a couple times a week. Just try one or two of these at first and see how you feel, keep gradually adding things and eliminate what upsets you. Brown rice is usually tolerated well also. I take 4 fibercon in the am and pm, I think thats the maxium dosage.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17848 - 08/20/03 11:04 AM
tinam

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Florida

Marla,

Please know that I am praying for you. I too am new to the board but I know you are not alone. Just look at all the friendly faces on this board. And they have great advice too.

I have been hurting daily for over a month now but I finally found some foods that make things easier and just drink water, water, water........

Blessings,
Tina

--------------------
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; Psalm 55:22

Insoluble fiber... new
      #17851 - 08/20/03 11:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - It's really, really important that you don't eliminate insoluble fiber foods from your diet. The only time you'd do this is if you're following the "breaking the cycle" info here web page, and that's just for a few days to stop the constant muscle spasms and start stabilizing. After that, and on a daily basis, you need to eat as much insoluble fiber foods as you can handle (see here - scroll down the page web page ). If you cook, peel, dice, puree these foods and combine with soluble fiber, they should be very tolerable. This means blending fresh fruits with soy/rice milk into smoothies, cooking and blending veggies/beans into soups or pasta sauces or dips, making fruit breads (pumpkin, banana, zucchini, etc.). You can also try adding in brown rice and oatmeal, the two most generally tolerable whole grains for IBS.

Also, do make sure you're increasing your fiber supplement as everyone says, and drinking LOTS of water. Info about the supplements is here web page.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17879 - 08/20/03 04:42 PM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

First, let me say thanks to all who wrote back. Tonight, the pain is unbearable since dinner. I think it was too fatty. Fat seems to be the worst for me. Just to clarify a few things so maybe you guys can help me make better decisions. I am IBS-D. I don't know what difference this makes but I have Addison's disease and take steroids for it. I can not tolerate any insoluble fiber at this point except cooked carrots, peas and bananas. I'm only taking one Fibercon a day, before dinner. My worst time of day is after dinner. I start each day with Rice Chex and Lactaid milk, usually have a fruit yogurt for lunch and then dinner. Sometimes I think I have something else, not IBS, but I guess lots of people think that at first. Any other suggestions would be truly appreciated and thanks so much for listening and caring... Marla

#17881 - 08/20/03 05:00 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Marla, don't know if you're using peppermint tea or not, but when I first started the diet I added more and more peppermint tea and peppermint Altoids as well. I thought it was helping, but also noticed that my symptoms were gradually getting worse and worse until every day was spent just like you describe. My daughter suggested it might be all the peppermint that was making things worse, so I quit the peppermint and switched to chamomile tea. Dropping all the peppermint made a huge and immediate difference. Is there anything that others may be able to tolerate well, but which you've added to your diet and have seen your symptoms get worse and worse? It may be something that is supposed to be okay, but for you just isn't.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review