All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Can Pure Honey and Other Foods Cause Bloating?
      #173800 - 04/26/05 08:58 AM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I feel I had an excellent breakfast this morning.
I had a banana, potatoe bread with non dairy butter, bowl of Rice cereal, and scrambled egg whites.
With the scrambled egg whites I had pure honey, which did not list high fructose corn syrup or for that matter any ingredients on the container.
I feel bloated, similar to how I get when I had maple syrup, which I can't have because it contains high fructose corn syrup in it.
The question I pose is, could my bloating be from the pure honey, are people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome not supposed to have pure or any honey due to this?

For that matter, why don't I make a chart below of all the foods I am not sure I can have, all on one topic, and you answer me this way it is organized, consolidated, and we all can refer to this too.

Lamb
Light mayonnaise

I am knowledgable that Irritable Bowel Syndrome prevents eating red meat, but some person told me that lamb is not considered red meat. I always thought lamb was red meat, so maybe somebody here can clarify, I figure better to ask then eat and get bloated. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can Pure Honey and Other Foods Cause Bloating? new
      #173815 - 04/26/05 10:00 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think there could be two problems with your breakfast.
1. It seems like it was too much food at one time. Most IBS people do better with little meals, eating more often.

2. Honey IS a natural form of fructose. So it doesn't need to list fructose as an ingredient. It would be like sugar listing sugar as an ingredient. Fructose Intolerance is very common with many IBS people. I would skip it for a day or two and see if it helps. Perhaps you are intolerant to high amounts of fructose.

Also, no, lamb in not allowed. And low fat or fat free mayo is fine as long as the brand does not contain dairy. I know Kraft Miracle whip (and maybe even the mayo, not sure) contains dairy, I think in the form of cream.

I suggest you use the search button and type in the name of the food you are questioning (with no time limits) to see past posts on individual foods. And please read Heathers Intro posts at the top of the Eating Board. They are filled with great info for the new posters. They provide safe foods, brand names, trigger foods, and a great "cheat sheet". They also help explain how to best use the board and the search button before posting.

Welcome, btw!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Welcome! new
      #173869 - 04/26/05 11:50 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi and welcome to the boards!

That *does* sound like a really good breakfast! It seems like an ok amount of food to me, but everyone's different. With food amounts you just want to avoid that really over-full feeling after a meal. It's usually pretty obvious to me if I've eaten too much but it may take some getting used to as to how much is too much if you're just starting out.

Re: honey - yup, Beth is right. The problem with honey is the same problem with fruit juices and with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup): fructose. HFCS contains more fructose than sugar and this fructose is more immediately available because it is not bound up in sucrose. Same goes for fruit juices and honey. I'm ok with small amounts of honey but some people can't tolerate it at all. Generally fructose in whole fruit is ok though it is fairly common for some people to have fructose intollerance along with IBS. Not that I'm suggesting you might have this though! Just IBS

And yes, lamb is a red meat so it's a definite no no. Anything that was a mammal is a red meat. Pork is red, for that matter too, no matter what the farmers say. Light mayo is ok just watch the fat content and make sure you hae it with lots of SF and low fat foods. What's important is the fat content of your whole meal, so just have a little bit and make sure at each meal that 20% or LESS (especially if you're just starting out 10-15% is a much safer range) of the calories come from fat. I think you can also find fat free mayo too.

Hope that helps

#173872 - 04/26/05 11:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Pure honey is also a natural laxative. Thus it can cause more than just bloating for the IBSer.

Just a thought...

Feel better

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

SO familiar ---- all the same questions........ Here are some answers. new
      #173944 - 04/26/05 01:34 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Let me ask you -- are you taking a soluble fiber supplement yet? Are you taking a probiotic? How about food enzymes to help you digest your food?

I had gas & bloating that hung on until the probiotics -- and then it took 3 - 4 weeks after taking them for it to stop. Now I have no gas & bloating at all. Some people just need the enzymes. A good one is made by Natrol -- it has special anti-gas ingredients in it.

#173945 - 04/26/05 01:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The easiest way for me to think about meat is to remember what I can have: white meat chicken, white meat turkey, seafood.

As for light mayonnaise, check for egg yolks. I've found light and even non-fat mayonnaise with egg yolks in them. I tolerate this fine, but if you're super-sensitive this might be a problem. Also, if you're just starting on Heather's diet, you may need to be extra careful while you stabilize, then find you can add back in some iffier foods (like light mayonnaise) once you're doing well.

One last thing - don't you love this, watching your whole menu go right out the window - for the first few months I was on Heather's diet, I found that any fat other than olive oil and canola oil bothered me, whether it was dairy-free or not and regardless of how little of it I ate. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm trying a little IBS-safe margarine and branching out into light mayonnaise.

Last but not least, welcome. As you can see, you've come to the right place for advice.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#174010 - 04/26/05 04:24 PM
notadocter

I'm not going to attempt to eat extra safe, I'm just going to be carfeul with what I eat now. I've been tracking Heather's suggested diet, and I have followed it about 75% which I figure should be solid.
I have noticed that my bloating is mildly lower, but last night I couldn't resist, I had chocolate cake, and I wonder if my bloating today which has been back and fourth is from the cake.

Re: SO familiar ---- all the same questions........ Here are some answers. new
      #174012 - 04/26/05 04:35 PM
notadocter

Are you kidding me, you were able to eliminate the bloating?
As a matter of fact I am taking Digestive Advantage Irritable Bowel Syndrome tablets, which take 7 to 14 day to work.
I don't know if this is a prebiotic or probiotic, but I was told this stuff really works, and it better, because I am going insane with the bloating.

I don't understand why I get bloated, but it is severely damaging my ability to be a normal person. I can't participate in regular fitness activites that all the other children can because of the bloating, and I have had it with ignorant doctors who are less useful each time.

Re: Welcome! new
      #174013 - 04/26/05 04:38 PM
notadocter

Thanks for the advice, I thought I had read that honey was ok to eat, are there any types of maple syrup or honey that are safe?

As for mayo, is miracle whip safe?

#174014 - 04/26/05 04:40 PM
notadocter

Thanks, the reason I ate that amount of food is because I am trying to gain muscle and I have a big appetite. I have to eat a lot.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1913 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review