All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Reversing IBS?
      #173733 - 04/26/05 05:55 AM
inusrat

Reged: 04/25/05

Hi,

Following different techinques and diets mentioned on this forum and else where, I was wondering if someone was able to cure IBS? for good. Meaning bring your colon timing back on track that even if you eat normal(not following IBS diet) it does not cause any problem.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Reversing IBS? new
      #173754 - 04/26/05 06:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

There is no cure for IBS. And if anyone tells you there is, quite frankly, they're full of it. It's a lifelong diagnosis and curse. Heather's diet is really the best way to manage it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I agree with Alicia new
      #173762 - 04/26/05 07:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If anyone says they've been cured of IBS, then they never really had it. Sometimes docs do tell people they have post-infectious IBS that's curable when what they mean is that they have a temporaily sensitive tum - b/c IBS isn't fully understood some docs use it as a cover-all diagnosis, but that's incorrect. If you have proper IBS then you will never be cured of it. The best you can hope for is that by taking triggers (inc. stuff like stress) out of your life, it won't cause you any problems at all.

Yep yep yep... new
      #173833 - 04/26/05 10:34 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

to everything Alicia and Linz said. You can't cure it - but you can do lots of things that will manage it such that you can forget you even have it (what gets called "being stable around"). As Alicia said, this diet and the lifestyle changes outilned on this website are what works for most people, though it does take lots and lots of time (months to years).

And unfortunately it doesn't mean you might not have a flare-up again at some point in your life, and managing it is a lifelong project - BUT it DOES get easier. And things do get better

Re: I agree with Alicia new
      #173910 - 04/26/05 12:39 PM
inusrat

Reged: 04/25/05

I believe I have IBS but very mild. Because I don't have any dirrhea or constipation. I just have once a day soft/weak/sticky stools,not well formed hard stools that i used to have. and not same level of appetitie. I remmber my doc using the term "post-infectious IBS". But it has been over 2 years, thingss never got back to normal.

Re: I agree with Alicia new
      #173918 - 04/26/05 12:44 PM
MomOfBoyz

Reged: 04/21/05

Mine started from a huge insurgince of postpartum hormones and stress. I had it in remission for over two years, but it came raging back with the second baby. I've been to the ER three times in the last year and a half, and was told I had gastroenteritis and too much stress. I hope Heather's plan can get me back to normal, too.

For Momof Boyz new
      #173950 - 04/26/05 01:50 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Funny, the same thing happened to me. The day after I had my baby, I began to experience IBS symptoms (diarrhea, ab pain) and it just became worse over the next weeks and months. I went to every doc in town telling them that it HAD to be a hormonal connection, as hormones practically run your GI motility. They all thought it was just a coincidence but I don't think so. Pre-baby I could eat ANYTHING I wanted - gallons of ice cram, spicy burritos with everything on it, I went out for Italian dinners 3 times a week etc... Now, If I even stray a little from my "safe " foods, I am sick for a week. And it all happened the day after I had her. I finaly found a doc who took me seriously and told me that during pregnancy, all of your hormones shift, go into over drive or under drive. When you have the baby, your hormones attempt to fall back into place, but sometimes, it just does not happen that way and you are left with a dysfunctional body due to the hormonal shifts. He told me that there were sooo many hormones out there that pinpointing the exact one that caused the symtoms would be like finding a needle in a haystack. All you can do is hope that one day, they decide to go back to the way they were pre-pregnancy, but it's not very likely

Just an interesting side note.

--------------------
Dana

Fyi... new
      #174206 - 04/27/05 02:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...I have post-infectious (proper) IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review