All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
New...Help w/ diet questions for conflicting illnesses?
      #173005 - 04/23/05 05:43 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

Hi,
I have severe IBS-C or colonic inertia. The nerves in my intenstines are shot and there is likely some paralysis there. I'm currently on zelnorm twice a day and miralax 3 times a day and I still don't go much and have really bad bloating. This diet is my last chance before having a marker test and considering surgery.

This is my predicament:
I have diabetes so should go low glycemic but I have gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) so I can't tolerate insoluable fiber. I'm hypothyroid so I can't eat soy in any form except soy sauce (it affects the medication). I have Addison's disease so I need protien.

The IBS diet matches up with the gastroparesis diet which is great. I don't digest meat, so after the two weeks I need to have protein (60-90g a day). I've been taking whey protein and milk. Sometimes I can only tolerate a liquid diet or I vomit. But... still have problems. Maybe that was all the milk plus the whey protein.

Where would I get rice protein and what sweetners are ok? How do they get protein out of rice when it doesn't have hardly any?

Any ideas on if I need a sweet fix? I've got $10 worth of Splenda in my cabinet. Anyone here use stevia?

I hope I can make it on solid food for 2 weeks. I'm really, really hoping this will work for me. I appreciate any suggestions.

Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Wendy! new
      #173010 - 04/23/05 06:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome to the boards!

I don't have any specific diet advice for you, since I'm not dealing with any of those other conditions, but I wanted to weigh in on the two specific questions you have.

I'm not sure how they make rice protein powder, but it does definitely exist. I've seen some in my local health food store. If yours doesn't carry it, ask - a lot of times, they'll special order things if they know you'll definitely be buying it. I forget the brand name of the one I've seen, but it's completely vegan and IBS-safe.

Second, stevia is the only safe non-caloric sweetener for IBS. (Other safe sweeteners in general are sugar, honey, and maple syrup.) I use stevia, but not for *everything*, just because the cost is prohibitive for me right now. It has an herbal taste that takes a little getting-used-to, but I really like it.

Hopefully someone else will come along and have more input on your other questions and concerns... just so you know, it's quiet here on the weekends, so don't be too surprised if you don't get much of a response until Monday or Tuesday.

Welcome again, and don't hesitate to ask more questions as they come up!

Re: New...Help w/ diet questions for conflicting illnesses? new
      #173017 - 04/23/05 07:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I use Nutri Biotic Rice Protein Powder (58 cal./scoop; 12 g protein). You can get it at a Natural Food Store. There is no soy/wheat/whey/corn junk/crap in it.

In order to extract the protein from the rice, they "isolate" the protein from the carbohydrate molecules in the rice to give you rice protein.

It's totally tummy friendly, trust me...I often can only consume protein powder too.

Re: sweeteners. Stevia's pretty safe. I prefer it to Splenda.

Re: Hi Wendy! new
      #173023 - 04/23/05 07:55 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I use rice protein powder--I'm also on synthroid. No thyroid for me! It's yummy. Any HFS should have it. I also do Steiva b/c I don't tolerate sugar. It's not a direct one-to-one correspondance....IE: 1/4 cup sugar does NOT equal 1/4 cup steiva. I made bread the other day and couldn't tell the difference.

For IF, what about pureeing your veggies/fruit? I can tolerate much more that way...even refried beans are better than solids for me. I can tolerate V8 type drinks in small doses.

Let me know if I can help more. I am also a strict vegetarian who is dairy and mostly gluten free.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Hi Wendy new
      #173024 - 04/23/05 07:59 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

I'm curious what you are eating for your gastroparesis. I also have delayed gastric emptying, but not a severe case. My doctor thinks it was caused by my years of anorexia.

Anyhow, I was told to eat whatever I want. Now, I have read on my own that fiber is not recommended for gastroparesis, but it is recommended for IBS! Especially in the form of a Soluble Fiber Supplement. So, I don't know how to incorporated this IBS diet with my gastroparesis.

I am also IBS-C (constipated) and thought that fiber would be very helpful for the constipation. I was never told that insoluble fiber was worse for gastroparesis than soluble fiber was. I thought they were both discouraged for gastroparesis. But since I am constipated, I try to get as much insoluble fiber in that I can in the form of cream of brown rice cereal with flax, cooked nectarines and plums for breakfast, low fat potato chips or cornmeal cereal, millet cereal, millet and flax bread, white rice breads, cooked quinoa and millet, baked apples, cooked zucchini, spinach, carrots, green beans, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, blueberries, etc...

I do not take a SFS even though this diet recommends it. But if I do not eat fiber in my diet, especially insoluble fiber, I would be even more constipated than I already am.

So, what did your doctor recommend to eat for your gastroparesis? It doesn't sound like it is helping your constipation. Have you ever tried eating more insoluble fiber? What happens?

Do you have a severe case of gastroparesis? I'm assuming that it is caused by your diabetes. You must have juvenile diabetes, right?

You say you don't eat meat, but can you have the chicken, fish, and egg whites that are allowed on this diet? That would give you some protein. And quinoa is a complete protein grain which is soluble fiber, so I would recommend that as well.

Is there any chance that if you started eating more, your gastroparesis would lessen as it gets used to having food in your system? I would hate to have to eat my calories in liquids for the rest of my life. I hope my situation does'nt come to that point. I am hoping that over time, with food in my system, my body will begin to function correctly again and start emtying normally. Do you think this might be possible?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Hi Wendy! new
      #173030 - 04/23/05 08:09 PM
WendySmiling

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Am I correct in assuming the 2 week IBS diet should only be the foods on the list? I figured it was like an elimination diet and if I was better after the two weeks I could start adding stuff in carefully and see how I react.

If I could have rice powder and V-8 now I would.
But I'm willing to do whatever it takes to do this right. It would beat the heck outta surgery!

As far as the IF goes.. I just have to be careful and see if I throw it up or not. (eww)

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

For your hypothyroid... new
      #173038 - 04/23/05 08:31 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

what medicine are you on? I'm on Levoxyl and I was never told anything about not eating soy... in fact soy is a huge part of my diet.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

For Augie - Re: Hi Wendy new
      #173046 - 04/23/05 09:01 PM
WendySmiling

Anorexia can cause GP and GP causes anorexia as well (not nervosa). Looking back I've had GP symptoms since I was a teenager and dx'd with IBS at 15. We thought the doctor was crazy and laughed all the way home. We had never heard of IBS before. It was 1978. I have nerve problems and endocrine diseases which affect the gut. Mine is not diabetic GP. I'm type II diabetic since my 30's.

If you are IBS-C w/ GP then you also have GP w/constipation. Different name, but may mean your nerves are affected in you intenstines as well as the stomach.

Don't worry about the IBS diet. The same foods recommended for GP are on that list. I'll put the link in here at the end. I'm happy for you that you are eating solid food. The reason doctors tell you to eat whatever you want is because everyone has different trigger foods and there is such an issue with malnutrition that they don't want you giving up a food that you can tolerate just because it's not on the "list".

That being said....there are definite guidelines. People with GP that can eat solid food do not tolerate foods that are difficult to digest. Fat, meat, veggie fibers and whole grains. Veggie fibers and whole grains are particulaly problematic because they can sit in your gut and form a ball called a bezore. Sometimes these will be thrown up like a cat vomits a fur ball. Other times they have to be removed surgically.

GP triggers that you are eating....
Brown rice
flax
cornmeal cereal
millet
flaxbread
quinoa

My gosh girl! Are you really bloated??? Nauseaous? I would be SOOOO sick if I were eating what you eat. I'm really surprised the doc didn't send you to a nutritionist or at least give you the basic guidelines. Do not take the fiber supplement.

Gastroparesis Diet

You also would really benefit from joing this group. It's the biggest in the world and very active support on a daily basis. They can answer any question and know what you are going through.
Gastroparesis Support Yahoo Group

To answer your question about GP getting better if you eat... that is generally not the case. If you force yourself to eat more than your stomach wants to take in you will feel worse. It's best to eat several tiny meals a day. If GP does get better it will generally be because it was caused by a virus, or maybe caused by an endocrine disorder that can be reversed if caught in time. Some people do get better so I don't want to discourage hope. If you have permanent damage caused by the anorexia then the odds of getting better might not be in your favor. Some people never get worse though. We are really lucky that we can eat and aren't on feeding tubes like a lot of GP people. I've learned to try to find the bright side of this.

You asked about protein from chicken etc... I've had GP for 16 months and I tolerate less than I did at the beginning. I can have a small bite of meat on occassion, but that's about it. If I eat any quantity of it I vomit.

Please email me at wendysmiling@cox.net if you want more help with this. I'd be interested in knowing what your symptoms are and how long you have had GP and how your relationship is with your doctor. You need lots of communication w/ your gastro doc.

You have got to change that diet immediatley. Look at the link I gave you and see the simliarities to the IBS diet. That is why I came here. I looked at the list of foods for GP and will just be eating the ones that are on the IBS list. My primary complaint is my intestines at present.

Hope to hear from your soon Augie and I think you will start feeling better really soon!
(big huggs)
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: For your hypothyroid... new
      #173049 - 04/23/05 09:30 PM
WendySmiling

Soy is THE biggest no-no for anyone that is hypothyroid regardless of which medication they are on. This is well known in the medical community. You may want to discuss it with your doctor. Here are some links:

Thyroid-info.com (soy)

Soy site.....scroll down to "safety issues"

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

IBS, Thyroid, and Soy new
      #173054 - 04/23/05 10:55 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Wow...there's a fairy good group of us here with thyroid problems. I wonder if there is a connection....(human nature to always be looking, I suppose...)

I had a nodule on my thyroid about 7 years ago, which was drained but kept coming back. It was removed (along with half to three-quarters) of my thyroid about 5 years ago. Evidently the nodule was undergoing some form of "transformation" and they could guarantee with 95% certainty that it would be cancerous within a few months. I decided not to wait, and go ahead and have it removed then, but wait and see if the cancer came back (or came...) before chemo, and it never did, so I assumed all was well. I'm not on any thyroid medication.

I guess two thoughts. I know the parathyroid glands (not the thyoid, but attached) regulate calcium absorption. And most sources of calcium (dairy, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandalion greens, etc) are IBS triggers (well...I haven't heard some of those greens mentioned directly, but I assume they would fall in the difficult insolubables category). Maybe it has something to do with the calcium absorption? Of course maybe not, as Luna bars and fortified stuff seem to alright, although maybe the different form is more accesible. I don't know...just rambling in case someone actually knows something.

And then the problem of soy. I don't eat *that* much of it. But, I certainly have some, I cook with soy milk, and have been eating soy cheese (until I just read that it has skim milk solids???? what is this???), I had tofu for dinner. So I couldn't say that it is mostly what I eat, but I do eat a good bit. No doctor ever even mentioned avoiding soy. I don't take any medication, so maybe it is less of an issue. Although, according to those websites, maybe not...Has anyone here ever had problems related to soy and their thyroid?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

I know Kandee doesn't eat it.... new
      #173062 - 04/24/05 02:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...cos of thyroid issues. Soy has a hormone-like effect, which is why it's great for menopausal women and bad for thyroid issues.

Re: I know Kandee doesn't eat it.... new
      #173067 - 04/24/05 04:55 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I was eating soy a LOT as a veg. I had a goiter the size of a lemon and had to have my entire thyroid removed last fall. I doubt it was a coincidence. I use rice-based products now.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#173070 - 04/24/05 05:53 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

You use rice for everything?

Can you find that sort of thing? I mean, I've seen rice milk, rice protein powder, and rice cheese. But that's about it. What do you do about Tofu, or TVP or other meat replacements?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: Soy and Thyroid Function new
      #173078 - 04/24/05 07:49 AM
Wind

Yes, consuming soy impacts thyroid function--that's the verdict/consensus of the experts...WITH ONE EXCEPTION. What is this exception? FERMENTED SOY. Fermented soy does not impact thyroid function. Fermented soy, and that's generally how the Japanese consume it, does not impede thyroid function. I suppose, though, soy yogurt would be okay, because bacterial culture would cause fermentation.
Examples: miso, soy sauce, tempeh...you can even buy fermented soy protein powder.
Also re: thyroid and goiterons. Certain foods contain goiterons (check spelling) which are bad for hypothyroid. These are generally cruciferous veggies...which most of us have a problem with (broccoli/cabbage/brussels sprouts, etc.) Cooking releases/negates these goiterons...eating them raw (YAH RIGHT!) does not and therefore negatively impacts thyroid function. So, fermented soy is okay--unfermented soy is nasty for hypothyroid. Incidentally, unfermented and also uncooked soy/tofu impedes
thyroid function.

Well thanks for the wealth of information! new
      #173093 - 04/24/05 09:15 AM
Augie

I should have been more clear. I did have Anorexia Nervosa, which is different than anorexia. I guess that's why my doctor thinks the anorexia nervosa caused the gastroparesis and definitely not the other way around. I had no GI problems before the Eating Disorder.

What type of Nerve problems and Endocrine disease do you have and how did they determine this?

I will email you with my questions. Don't want to take up board space with my problem!

Thank you again for all this information. You will surely be hearing from me as I have many questions on how you make this GP diet IBS friendly because the foods listes as okay do not seem to be IBS safe [lots of dairy products (yogurt, milk, cheese), fruit juices(prune, grape, pineapple), egg noodles]. And cofee!

Plus I must eat gluten free So I cannot even do the saltines, cream of wheat, pastas, etc. So I really am in a quandry as to how to make my diet IBS safe, GP safe, and Gluten Free. Oy. I'm so in trouble here. I am just overwhelmed. Again. Stress monster not good for tummy!

PS What on my list is safe ? The low fat potato chip? The cream of brown rice cereal? The white rice bread? Anything?? The puffed millet????? Since it only has 1 gram of fiber. And the quinoa is a soluble fiber, so I thought that was safe?

Wouldn't peeled baked apple and plums be okay? They are peeled and cooked just like canned fruit? And my zucchini is also peeled and cooked! So wouldn't that be safe as well? I would probably be sooo constipated if I took all this out of my diet.

Well I guess I did take up more space. Sorry guys and gals.

Oh, I must email you later!

--------------------
~ Beth

Wendy, my email address is new
      #173096 - 04/24/05 09:41 AM
Augie

deerbeth@yahoo.com if you want to ever contact me. I wish I had your GI doc! I saw you recommended him on the link, so you must think highly of him. Mine is good for nothing!

Do you know anything about Gluten free eating? I don't know how to make the GP diet adaptable for my GF eating.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Soy and Thyroid Function new
      #173103 - 04/24/05 10:11 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Yes, consuming soy impacts thyroid function--that's the verdict/consensus of the experts...WITH ONE EXCEPTION. What is this exception? FERMENTED SOY. Fermented soy does not impact thyroid function. Fermented soy, and that's generally how the Japanese consume it, does not impede thyroid function. I suppose, though, soy yogurt would be okay, because bacterial culture would cause fermentation.
Examples: miso, soy sauce, tempeh...you can even buy fermented soy protein powder.
Also re: thyroid and goiterons. Certain foods contain goiterons (check spelling) which are bad for hypothyroid. These are generally cruciferous veggies...which most of us have a problem with (broccoli/cabbage/brussels sprouts, etc.) Cooking releases/negates these goiterons...eating them raw (YAH RIGHT!) does not and therefore negatively impacts thyroid function. So, fermented soy is okay--unfermented soy is nasty for hypothyroid. Incidentally, unfermented and also uncooked soy/tofu impedes
thyroid function.

Yes, soy not only is a goitergen but diminishes the affects of thyroid medication, the same way Calcium does if consumed to close to the time you take your daily thyroid medications. Cruciferus veggies act the same way unless cooked to death. And there are some new studies out that show green tea should be avoided by those with thyroid disease as well.
Personally, I'm flat out intolerant of all soy, whether it be in the fermented form or not. I avoid all soy dairy subs. There are enough rice and nut dairy subs out there that one does not have to consume soy if it is detrimental to their health in some way. However, because of it's estrogenic affect it can be helpful for many women in peri-menopause and menopause, not to mention the high calcium, protein and mineral contents. Here is a thread started many moons ago. Lots of reading here, both pro and con. Kandee

--------------------

#173105 - 04/24/05 10:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome. You're carrying quite a lot on your shoulders - and you seem to be carrying it remarkably well. I do sincerely hope this diet helps you enough to avoid surgery.

When you talk about going on "the diet" for two weeks, I assume you're talking about Heather's "Break The Cycle" diet. That does consist only of soluble fiber and you should eat only the things on the list. However, as I understand it, this isn't designed as an elimination diet. The Break The Cycle diet is to give your digestive tract only the easiest to digest food for a while so it can recover from irritation and it is intended to be used only for a few days. After the first few days, you begin adding in food that is not on the list - insoluble fiber, fats, safe proteins. Here's the web page that talks about the diet; the hyperlink to soluble fiber will give you the list of what you can eat while you're on it.

Having said that, I realize that with your multiple conditions you may need to approach this differently and I believe I have run across posts on the Board from people who have been on the Break The Cycle diet for more than just a few days.

I do not know enough about elimination diets to say for sure, but I imagine you can use the Break The Cycle diet as an elimination diet. You could try doing a Search on "elimination diet" and see what you get. I know of one recent thread that talks about this a little bit. It might help.

A couple of more specific points. Dairy is a trigger food in Heather's diet, so the milk and the whey protein may well be problems.

Have you tried baby food for those times when solid food just isn't possible? One of Heather's principles is that insoluble fiber is easier to handle when it is chopped into smaller bits. Baby food is just the ultimate extension of this principle.

I wish you all the best. The Board is a great source of support and an excellent information resource. (It looks like you're an excellent information resource yourself! Thanks.)

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Couldn't you do... new
      #173122 - 04/24/05 11:54 AM
Augie

Baked apples, cooked papaya or mango to add some fruits in? Or cooked nectarines and plums that are peeled and stewed very tender?
And how about pureed cooked and peeled veggies for some veggies. Woudn't these be safe for you?

Have you ever tried a digestive enzyme to help you? Maybe you would be able to eat more if you had some enzymes to help you digest the foods and get things moving. I take them and thought I could handle more because I had this additional help. Am I wrong?

--------------------
~ Beth

#173123 - 04/24/05 12:36 PM
Wind

Personally, I do eat a little fermented soy...otherwise I don't eat it often--and I'm vegan. Being single, i find it a waste of time to cook protein half the time...I eat a lot of sprouted things and use rice protein when I require it...I am not on a high protein diet--for me to be on a high protein diet would be disasterous as I have osteopenia. Plant food easily supplies enough protein, enzymes and amino acids. Grains also supply a lot of protein...sea veggies and other legumes, too. It's pretty easy to get more than the DRA without consuming soy...or even a protein powder! However, I did see a neat protein powder--Hemp--I might check out next.

Wind new
      #173147 - 04/24/05 02:08 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Personally, I do eat a little fermented soy...otherwise I don't eat it often--and I'm vegan. Being single, i find it a waste of time to cook protein half the time...I eat a lot of sprouted things and use rice protein when I require it...I am not on a high protein diet--for me to be on a high protein diet would be disasterous as I have osteopenia. Plant food easily supplies enough protein, enzymes and amino acids. Grains also supply a lot of protein...sea veggies and other legumes, too. It's pretty easy to get more than the DRA without consuming soy...or even a protein powder! However, I did see a neat protein powder--Hemp--I might check out next.

I so agree about the protein issue. We've become a nation obsessed with protein overload. But if one needs/wants a protein powder yes hemp, or pea protein powder will work if you don't like the rice. Personally I'm not fond of the taste of the rice protein powder by Nutribiotic, even the chocolate flavor.
As to soy...I LOVE (GF) soy sauce but it cramps my muscles right up..strange reaction, huh? As far as I know there is no DF sub for tofu, unfortunately.

There are some new theories about protein and iron. It used to be the thinking that if you were low in either than the meat based iron/protein was the best for absorbability. Now the thinking is that if your body is low in either it will take it from any source it can get it, meat based or not, and absorb it in relation to the need. Amazing machines we have indeed. Kandee

--------------------

#173149 - 04/24/05 02:11 PM
WendySmiling

Thanks Sand,
On the break the cycle page Heather says a few days for diahrrea. She says it can take up to 2 weeks for severe constipation. Yes I'm going to have to use it as an elimination diet for gastroparesis. I'm at a point where I feel sick no matter what I eat, so I'm going to do this break the cycle by the book and IF I can handle eating the solid food then I'll add in a few things and see if I can tolerate them. I've quit the milk and whey. I was wondering why I was still having problems on a mostly liquid diet. That is why I am here. I haven't broke down to the baby food level yet. I hate it and am trying to keep from going there although it's ok if someday I have to. (ugh).

With gastroparesis the goal is to find foods that you can tolerate and try to maintain your weight if you can. For most of us it's just a few foods. I know that Heather's diet isn't for the long term for MOST people, but either is drinking broth everyday for months if that is all one can tolerate. There are many degrees of GP. Some people can eat fairly normal, some are extrememly limited, some I have spoken with have not had a bite of food or even a sip of ensure for 5 years or longer because they have violent vomiting fits that put them in the hospital. They have surgical feeding and draining tubes placed in their sides and many of them still vomit and are sick all the time. It's a nasty little disease. I'm just grateful I can eat. I've spent the last two years of my life researching GP and hypothyroid. I refuse to give up trying to feel better.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: Kandee new
      #173183 - 04/24/05 05:12 PM
Wind

I experience the same reaction with GF soy sauce! Strange coincidence.

I agree with you re: The Nutri-Biotic protein powder taste.
If I use it--which is rare--I usually spunk it up with some fresh fruit. I've always found most protein powders gross, though...wanna-be "ice-cream" flavours, and ice cream was something that always excited my gastrocolic reflex, or made me gag.

I agree re: protein obsessed North American culture. Perhaps it is in response to media exposure re: low carb diets (i.e. Atkins, South Beach, the Zone). Apparently there are a lot of people desperate to lose weight that are susceptible to the "Protein" miracle brainwashing media hype.

Ironically, when I wasn't vegan, I suffered from iron-deficiency anemia. I guess my body is sucking in more than enough iron from plant sources! Is it easier on the body to naturally absorb? I wonder.

I used to eat more soy, but with a strong family history of hypothyroid I've more or less phased it out. A few months ago it started "going right through me, " so I eliminated it, except in occaisonal fermented forms. My albumin levels are fine, I'm not anemic, and easily get tons of complimentary proteins without soy in my life.

Re: High protein/low carb diets. They deplete minerals, i.e. calcium from the body. Most people generally fail using low carb methods. Eat for energy, eat for life!

Re: Kandee new
      #173187 - 04/24/05 05:40 PM
WendySmiling

Hi Wind,
I think many people don't know how much protein they should take in. I don't personally buy the USRDA because for one they are always changing what they say, and second an RDA for a 100 lb. woman that is 50, is different from a 100lb woman that is 20, and then their are weight fluctuations, diseases to account for etc. I suppose whatever level somebody feels their best at is right for them.

As far as diet goes I'm pretty much "to each their own". I watched my ex-DH lose 110 lbs in a year on Atkins and leave behind his asthma, high BP, diabetes meds, improve his cholesterol and trigs dramatically. He went from 16 medications a day for a quandry of illnesses to one. His doctor is stunned and thrilled. So for him it was great.
I was on Atkins for 8 months. My trigs and chol went down, I came off all diabetes and BP meds within the first 3 months...but at the same time became so ill from GP and IBS-C that I have yet to recover and I've been off it for 18 months. I've met 2 other women that were low-carbing and were diagnosed with gastroparesis in the last year. I don't think that is a coincidence. I'm fine w/ vegan. Meat/dairy make me sick now although I loved them before I got sick. But give me some mushrooms and who needs meat?
All I want to do is eat to feel good. I have high hopes!
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Hey, I just realized... new
      #173197 - 04/24/05 06:23 PM
Augie

that on the gastroP diet you posted, they allow lots of veggies, even spinach, and canned fruits on the Stage 2 diet, and on the stage 3 you can have poultry and fish!

So wouldn't those work for you, Wendy?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey, I just realized... new
      #173240 - 04/24/05 07:48 PM
WendySmiling

Everyone with GP tolerates different things. I've tried spinach twice and I throw it up immediately. Small amounts of squash and mushrooms are ok. Any kind of meat, chicken or fish makes me sick. It's hard for me to eat very much food. Often a 1/2 cup total of food will leave me feeling like I had a 5-course meal and the fullness and nausea don't go away the entire day. Some days I can eat more. I really need to find a liquid diet that is IBS safe, I'll be patient for the next two weeks, but I don't know that I can handle all this solid food. I've had 600 calories today and I feel stuffed, bloated really bad and nauseaous.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Oh my.. new
      #173248 - 04/24/05 08:02 PM
Augie

Aren't you losing weight like crazy, Wendy? How severe was your delayed gastric emptying anyhow? Must be pretty bad. I never feel like I need to throw up. Just very full, bloated and belchy.

I must have a lot less severe case of GP than you. Are you working with a nutritionist?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: WendySmilingProtein new
      #173400 - 04/25/05 09:23 AM
Wind

Everything I've read states that the US RDA is an overestimate re: protein.

I've done "low carb" vegan, only to physically feel ill...nausea, etc., but that's just my personal experience.
I experience major nausea, heartburn, etc.

What's that mushroom comment referring to?

Re: WendySmilingProtein new
      #173598 - 04/25/05 04:29 PM
WendySmiling

The mushroom comment was just that if I have mushrooms I have no need for meat. I love them!

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: WendySmilingMushrooms new
      #173616 - 04/25/05 06:37 PM
Wind

Ditto. I adore them! (It's creepy, how satisfying they are, and with the diversity...)Ode to fungi. Sorry, I thought somebody was making fun of me. I can hardly wait, I think, until we get Quorn, in Canada. Although, once I read the ingredients, I'll likely change my mind.

Re: WendySmilingMushrooms new
      #173618 - 04/25/05 06:44 PM
WendySmiling

I'm dying to try a grilled portobello in the summer. I've never had one.
I know I'm new here but I never make fun or am rude. I go outta my way to state my opinion so it doesn't come across wrong. ..although they still do sometimes. I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to clarify my post. Thanks!

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: Thanks, Wendy. new
      #173806 - 04/26/05 09:38 AM
Wind

I appologize--I'm just a hyper-sensitive defensive type. Re: Portabella Mushrooms, YUM! Just skip the oil in all the recipes out there. I tend to marinate in a good balsalmic vinegar for awhile and some fresh lime or lemon juice, sea salt. Dijon gives it a little bite. I think I might have to have one for lunch!!! Vegan meat!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review