All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Algae and C
      #172803 - 04/22/05 05:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Lately I've been eating algae--dulse. I notice that I am more regular than clockwork...no D...just effortless, smooth sailing healthy poops. I've also been eating sprouts everyday, but I think it's the alage that's cleaning me out. Does anyone else consume algae in either raw or cap. form? Just curious. There's no spasms--I consume a very small quantitiy--a few contractions...but just the most easygoing
poop. I must look into this algae stuff. I use it because I have a sodium chloride deficiency. Anyways, just curious.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Algae and C new
      #172816 - 04/22/05 06:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What is algae-dulse and where can I get it! Seriously, is this something you find in the produce section? Do you cook it? I never heard the word dulse before, so not sure what this is.

If you take it in capsules, is algea-dulse the same as just algea? Hm, how often and how much do you take this?

I am willing to try anythihg. You are usually C, right?

Looking forward to your answers!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Algae and C new
      #172923 - 04/23/05 08:53 AM
Wind

Actually, I'm A. You can buy dulse at a natural food store, or in a grocery store. It's often where the fish counter is, in a little bag. It's classified as chollera, or a sea veg. I use it because it's a great natural source of vitamin B12 (I'm vegan), and iodine--great for the thyroid. I guess it's a type of seaweed...lots of enzymes and aminos and great for the brain. But it does clean you out. I don't use a lot of it--a little goes a long way. I might toss it in a soup or smoothie or salad or sauce or any appropriate recipe. I guess it tastes a tad fishy/salty. But, it doesn't cause me cramps or anything nasty. It just adds a certain inexplicable "something" to vegan cuisine. I just notice, though, from journalling and trends in my log that well...if I have a little twice a day, I go two or three times, with painless effortless non-spasmodic ease--no joke! So, I've been testing it for the last few weeks, and I think it's a factor in not giving a poop about the poop so much--except on D daze/weeks--of late. Heck, you could even add a few snippets to a sandwich--just moisten the dulse a tad or
chop it up ultra fine. If anything, I hate a C streak after
D. Note: algae/chollera/sea vegetables ARE NOT LAXATIVES...they are foods--superfoods. I don't think it's ever given me D. You can also buy chollera powder. Chollera, algaes, sea veggies are common ingredients in a lot of green drinks/powders. I am really liking this clean feeling--it's not D...it's just a good clean out feeling. I don't know how else to describe it. Is that at all helpful?

Still confused new
      #172928 - 04/23/05 09:32 AM
Augie

So do you buy dulse and algae seperately and mix them together, or are they the same thing?

If I found chollera powder, would that be the same thing?

And exactly how much is a good bit to use at once? Like a teaspoon? Or even less? And you use it 2 or 3 times a day, right?

I am very interested in trying this if I can figure it out. I will look for it at the seafood department, but doubt my local jewel will carry it. Is it labeled as dulse or chollera in the baggy?

Thanks for the info! I am doing grocery shopping today and want to look for it!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Still confused new
      #172935 - 04/23/05 09:58 AM
Wind

Hey Augie. I decided to do a little digging re: algae/seaweed, et cetera.

Here's the juice, figuratively speaking. I read this in THE WELLNESS ADVOCATE (http://wellnessadvocate.com) a few minutes ago. RE: Kelp (a common name for seaweed)

"...The alginates in kelp are complex polysaccarides that have a soothing and cleansing effect on the digestive tract and may prevent the absorption of toxic metals...
Kelp alginates are hydrasorbent laxatives, compounds that swell to 20 times their original volume by absorbing water which is much greater than other types of bulk forming laxatives such as psyllium and bran. Kelp alginates are effective in treating habitual constipation and gastric bloating because they sell in intestinal juices rather than water or gastric juices..."

There's lots of info. on this if you want to run a Google. I'm awe-struck. I just eat seaweeds/alges, etc. as a food, not just supplement, but because I actually like it. Yes, I know I'm a strange--unique--type.

Anyways...re: where to purchase, etc. Excuse me while I run to the kitchen to my sea veg. stash.

Most Natural Food stores carry sea veggies--dulse, Kombu, wakame, nori, etc. A lot of grocery stores do it. Asian Grocery stores generally have a variety. "Marine Coast Sea Vegatables" (Franklin, Maine 04634, www.seaveg.com) is the company name for one brand of dulse. I've got it in both flaked and whole leaf form. Some grocery stores also keep Dulse in little bags, about the size of a snack sized bag of
chips--not refridgerated at the fish counter...it's just where it is. I enjoy using seaweeds, etc. that's why I have a stash. So...I hope that's a tad helpful.

Chollera powder, spirulina, etc. is something you'd find in a Natural Health store or aisle of a grocery store. You can buy Kelp, chollera, sprirula in cap. form. They're in most "Green" drinks as well.

Note: I don't use kelp/seaweeds as a laxative, and based on what I've only just read, I don't think its a laxative--it's a genuine food/supplement. I also my hair/skin/nails are significantly improved when I include it in my diet.

Thanks for the info, but... new
      #172938 - 04/23/05 10:08 AM
Augie

How much of this do you add to your food? How much of the flakes and how much of the powder, depending on what type you get. The flake form says to add 1/3 cup, but that seems like a lot. And do you add 1/2 cup crumbled or 1/3 cup whole before crubling it? Do you use the flakes or powder raw? I guess I'm confused at how much of each form to add and if it needs to be cooked first.

Have you ever tried the kelp or chollera capsules or are you strictly sticking to the dulse? Is dulse the same as Algae?

This definitely looks like something I want to try! Thanks for the info, really!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks for the info, but... new
      #172964 - 04/23/05 01:50 PM
Wind

Personally, no more than 1/4 c., and usually just a tbsp. or so--I don't like it to "over-power" the food--dominate taste-wise. It sort of depends. I guess...a few pinches? Gee, it sounds like I'm talking about goldfish!!! Seriously, though...start with a small bit, i.e. a tablespoon.

I do take kelp caps. and sometimes add a little spiralina to a smoothie or juice. Note, though, I have a sodium deficiency and kelp is a good source of sodium.

Just sprinkle some in something. Seriously, though...I tested it again at lunch...works like a charm...it's like a nice internal "sweep." or "mop," but not like getting the rug pulled out from under your feet when you're wearing high
heels!!! I swear it's the seaweed/dulse/chollera! Ruchie swears by her tomato juice, and I swear by a sea veg. You could use it in forty trillion ways!

Don't mean to be a dope... new
      #173018 - 04/23/05 07:31 PM
Augie

but I still don't quite understand how much of this stuff you are taking a day. I went out today and found the Maine Coast Sea Vegetable Dulse in the 2 oz package. It looks like whole pieces of it, not powder at all. So, how do I measure out 1 Tablespoon of this since it is in whole, unmeasurable pieces and not the powder.

Should I crumble it up, or cut it into tiny pieces and use a Tablespoon of the tiny cut of pieces? How do you measure out your Tablespoon? And you have 2 Tablespoons a day?

Thanks again. I hope I get this straight soon!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: You're not a dope, Augie!!! new
      #173019 - 04/23/05 07:35 PM
Wind

You could just grate it in a food processor. I suppose I use about that much. You're not a dope by any stretch of the imagination, Augie! It's just a new thing to you.

Well, thanks for not thinking I'm a dope! new
      #173021 - 04/23/05 07:40 PM
Augie

But I sure feel like one now! I don't have a food processor, but I have a mini chopper and also a hand held grater. I just put it in that, chop it up, then use a Tablespoon of the chopped up form, Right??

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2666 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review