All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ever feel like a guinea pig???
      #1679 - 02/28/03 06:49 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I get really frustrated. Every time I turn around there is some new suggestion of what is going to make me better. I have tried aloe - nothing. I have tried every kind of fiber supplement, now using Citracel and HOPEFULLY this one will not bloat me up or give me gas. I can't even recall all the other things I've tried because someone told me it would work. I am even on a prescription right now. I do exercise and that helps me feel better if nothing else than mentally. But all I want is to go to the bathroom normally and not be constipated, bloated, and crampy all the time! But mostly constipated. Now the thread on Primal Defense makes me want to order that, but I'm becoming very skeptical - how can I just try every single thing I hear about? The only thing that REALLY makes sense to me is to control the diet - to me that is logical. All these other "perfect fixes" just seem too good to be true. Am I alone feeling this way?

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ever feel like a guinea pig??? new
      #1696 - 03/01/03 10:33 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

ecmmbm - Have you read Heather's book The First Year IBS? Have you checked out her website? I wouldn't take anything unless the person suggesting it knows what they're talking about. And, some docs don't, if you know what I mean.

Heather's procedures are the best for IBS. Reforming my diet has really helped me, along w/taking soluble fiber supplements that agree w/me. Exercise helps, too, along w/yoga, meditation, etc. You just have to be patient (and I know that's hard to do when you want to feel normal and better than you have been). I'm one of the most impatient people I know. Just hang in there, kiddo.

Have you read through the past postings on this board? There are a lot of IBSrs who have posts similar to yours and if you read Heather's comments and follow her links, it'll help.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

I hear you! new
      #1724 - 03/01/03 08:32 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I know exactly what you mean!!!!

I have been through the same process and have decided the most important things are:
1. Diet
2. Exercise
3. Relaxation and Stress Control
4. Soluble F Supps

I have given up looking for that miracle cure - there isn't one. It just gets expensive and frustrating.

I have accepted that I will have good days and bad days regardless but that if I am strict with my above four goals I have the best chance of leading a near to normal life.

I must say I never, ever deviate from the diet, I always take my SF and always exercise every day.

The one thing that gets me every time is stress. No matter how well I do all the other things if I get stressed it is all out the window! Although I do yoga and meditate I still find stress hard to control. It's the one thing that is often out of our hands. Due to this I am thinking of giving the IBS Audio Program a go as hypnotherapy has helped me with other problems in the past.

However I am not spending any money on any more "miracle cures".

I don't know if this helps but wanted you to know you are not alone in feeling this way.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: I hear you! new
      #1752 - 03/02/03 03:20 AM
ecmmbm

Yes, that actually does help just to hear someone else say it!! Because that is the conclusion I am coming too as well. Those 4 things all make sense to me, I am doing the diet strictly (haven't even worked meat back in yet but hope to, as allowed), I've even given up all soda and COFFEE - what a sacrifice!!! But I'm learning to love my hot teas even more. I'm on the treadmill every day, sometimes twice a day, and stretching and even using weights as I feel like it. I try to get adequate rest, and I try to manage my stress by talking to a couple important people in my life who love me (rather than my old ways of holding it all in) and by giving all the "worries" of life over to the Lord in prayer every day, every moment. For me, that is the true key to stress reduction. Well, thanks for your response! I hear these posts and I'm happy for the people who have found that one pill or that one THING that has just ZAPPED them "well" but I can't believe that is going to happen for me, and like you said, can't keep spending money on all that stuff!!

Take care!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: Ever feel like a guinea pig??? new
      #1754 - 03/02/03 05:21 AM
ecmmbm

Thanks Sharon - you have been very sweet. I enjoy your posts and am also checking out all your recipes on the other board. Thanks for the encouragement!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: I hear you! - No Miracle Cures new
      #1758 - 03/02/03 06:55 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Kerrie - you put in words what I wanted to say. That was great and so true. There are no miracle cures.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 968 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1830

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review