All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Is bloating common for a certain 'type' of IBS.....?
      #166495 - 04/02/05 10:50 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I'm just trying to understand my bloating conundrum....

So calling all people with chronic bloat (that is those who wake up with painful bloating and go to sleep with even more painful bloating. A tummy that has been 6 months pregnant for as long as you can remember!!).

Are you typically A, C or D? I'm just wondering whether chronic bloat is directly related to C... which is what I am. Or whether it isn't linked to the 'type' of IBS you are.

I'm also interested to know what other chronic bloaters are suffering with. For example, at its best my bloat adds 2 inches to my waistline, at its worse I can be up to 3 inches bigger. Its so painfully uncomfortable that I struggle to understand what could be making it so bad. I've tried everything under the sun to get rid of it. I've been '6 months pregnant' for 4 months now.... nothing I do seems to make it go away.

I eat GF, low sugar, low fructose, and everything else within the diet guidelines. I keep my SF to IF ratio pretty constant, I drink tonnes of water, exercise every day.... and STILL I have C and chronic bloat! Whats wrong with me!!

Sorry to whinge but I'm at the end of my tether. I seriously feel that noone could have a bigger bloat then me. I'm up for any competitors!! Anything to make light of a very depressing situation!!

Plus has anyone ever heard of any radical treatment for IBS? Like hospitalisation on a restricted diet (like a liquid diet or something) to enable intestines to recover??? Or perhaps, if I went on a pureed vege diet (SF and IF) for weeks, so my body didn't have to break down anything, do you think that would help to combat the bloat?? Desperate times triggers desperate thoughts!!!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is bloating common for a certain 'type' of IBS.....? new
      #166508 - 04/03/05 12:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Chrissy, GREAT questions!

I am a C with occasional D and vomiting.

Major gas and BLOATING as well.

In fact, I hardly ate today. But I ate too much fat (and ate gluten by accident...a lot of it) and I am about 5 inches bloated!

I can def. say you are not alone.

I find for me that gas and bloat go together. I also find too much fat triggers it for me as well as too little IF. If I don't get brown rice in my day I'm finshed! It seems to be my ultimate safe food as it isn't white (which makes me more C), and it isn't too insoluble. (Hope that made sense???)

Magnesium also helps me with C as does eating a LOT of pureed veggies and greens.

The bloating? I get bloated if I have water and I exercise...even 1st thing in the morning on an other-than-water empty tummy It's just NOT NORMAL!

I have no answers...only questions. I AM confident that one day it wil not be this way for me anymore. Everyone finds their path...and I believe Heather did a GREAT job finding hers! And she helps all of us to find our own path...with a FANTASTIC starting point. (That Heather and her hubby Will....VERY SMART indeed! And compassionate, wonderful...sorry, got side tracked )

I think the lifestyle we live, the stress, the junk we put in our bods.....it takes its toll after a while! That is the only "answer" I have...and it's a theory
not an answer! *sigh*

Keep asking questions Chrissy. It will get you EVERYWHERE in life!

You're the best!

With love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I am A... new
      #166514 - 04/03/05 04:36 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

swing form C to D and back again... some nausea issues, and tons of bloat if I'm not careful- thank goodness for things learned here about the gas and bloat!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Oh, bloating... new
      #166522 - 04/03/05 05:04 AM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

is such a pain!!! I'm an A, and I bloat whether I'm in a C phase or a D phase. I'm fairly thin, but when I bloat, I can't fasten any of my jeans! I'm a size or two larger. And it hurts!! I hate it!! Probably 4 months pregnant is a good description. It has kept me from going out a few times because I can't fit into anything, and I'm so uncomfortable. Luckily, my DH is very understanding.

I'm very active, and I do find exercise helps - the harder, the better. I've also had success with acacia fiber (I'm up to 12g a day) and fennel tea. Gas-X hasn't helped at all. IF is the usual culprit for me...right now I eat very little of it. When I try to gradually re-introduce it, I bloat. It's actually pretty funny, because I was a vegetarian for years, and now I can't eat most vegetables! I think the bloating is worse than either the D or the C!

Good luck figuring out what works for you! I think the key is being disciplined enough to change only one thing at a time, change it gradually, and give it enough time to see if it helps or not. I'm confident I'll get a grip on this eventually. And following the IBS diet has made me about 70% better - so I'm optimistic I'll get the other 30%.

#166523 - 04/03/05 06:56 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I could have written your post. I am GF, eat IF/SF ratios that are safe, exercise and drink tons of water too. Can't explain it. Somedays I just bloat from nothing at all. And I am always 2-3 inches bigger every night when I go to bed. The pain though is a killer when I bloat with pain-I just want to die.

I don't go out a lot because I always feel fat-nothing fits. If it fits in the AM, it is tight in the PM. I have to cover my preggy tummy. It is so embarassing-I am ashamed of my body even though I couldn't live a healthier lifestyle if I tried.

I cook everything myself most days so that I only eat unprocessed, safe foods. I do the grazing thing. I am always self conscious and frustrated about the bloating. I am fairly slim as well-but with the bloating I feel like I am obese all the time and never want anyone else to know what my body looks like.

I am single-so it is hell on the social life. I swear I am becoming a hermit.

I have managed to alleviate the C on most days with the IF added in to my diet again. When I was dieting and not eating any IF- I felt thinner but was C all the time (weeks) and had pain every day. I am not sure what the answer is-I keep wondering myself.

I am open to any and all advice here too. I am going to buy some fennel tea. Have not tried that yet.

Thanks everyone-it feels better not to be alone-however, I wish we had an answer that we could share and get rid of this.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

I'm IBS - C and bloating is pretty much part of my life.... new
      #166526 - 04/03/05 07:08 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I've reconciled with the fact that I will always be four months pregnant and try to accomodate with loose fitting clothes (I'm a size four but I buy size six skirts and let them hang on my hips and wear large tops to cover it.) Doing pillates first thing in the morning definately helps. I also drink alot of Tummy Mint Tea which has fennel in it and also peppermint. Other than that I can not offer you any other advice, only empathy and virtual hugs and the hope that we will one day discover the answer to this problem as well.
Have a wonderful and productive day.
Chany

It's the nature of the beast. new
      #166595 - 04/03/05 11:17 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I'm just trying to understand my bloating conundrum....

So calling all people with chronic bloat (that is those who wake up with painful bloating and go to sleep with even more painful bloating. A tummy that has been 6 months pregnant for as long as you can remember!!).

Are you typically A, C or D? I'm just wondering whether chronic bloat is directly related to C... which is what I am. Or whether it isn't linked to the 'type' of IBS you are.

I'm also interested to know what other chronic bloaters are suffering with. For example, at its best my bloat adds 2 inches to my waistline, at its worse I can be up to 3 inches bigger. Its so painfully uncomfortable that I struggle to understand what could be making it so bad. I've tried everything under the sun to get rid of it. I've been '6 months pregnant' for 4 months now.... nothing I do seems to make it go away.

I eat GF, low sugar, low fructose, and everything else within the diet guidelines. I keep my SF to IF ratio pretty constant, I drink tonnes of water, exercise every day.... and STILL I have C and chronic bloat! Whats wrong with me!!

Sorry to whinge but I'm at the end of my tether. I seriously feel that noone could have a bigger bloat then me. I'm up for any competitors!! Anything to make light of a very depressing situation!!

Plus has anyone ever heard of any radical treatment for IBS? Like hospitalisation on a restricted diet (like a liquid diet or something) to enable intestines to recover??? Or perhaps, if I went on a pureed vege diet (SF and IF) for weeks, so my body didn't have to break down anything, do you think that would help to combat the bloat?? Desperate times triggers desperate thoughts!!!

Aww, the proverbial bloat problem. Not only is it common to IBS, but common to gluten intolerance as well. Can't win, can we? It doesn't seem to matter what you do it happens. Even breathing appears to be a contributor. Makes for a bad self image too, especially in women who are supposed to have a tiny waistline, to be attractive by society's standards.

I've pretty much resigned myself as well that it's going to happen, no matter WHAT.. so I wear long, loose fitting tops.and no tight pants....There is only a couple things I've found that help...one is very strong fennel (yuck) tea and the other is to do some yoga (simple twists) or a couple miles of walking. But psychologically if you're already bummed out because you look 9 months pregnant all you want to do is crawl in a closet and stay there. Funny thing is I don't get the gas that goes with it, probably because I take so much in the way of probiotics, but the BLOAT seems to be inevitable.

I don't believe any drastic measure Chrissy would be wise..It may be a temporary fix but the problem would come right back. A sense of humor might be the best approach...
"Laugh and the World Laughs With You"

Kandee

--------------------

#166665 - 04/03/05 06:50 PM
Taylahmai

Hey Ruch, yep you and me are 2 peas in a pod!! 5 inches tho!! Thats incredible!! You must be in so much pain!? I was a good 3 inches bloated all weekend, and have been C for over a week now. If I wasn't so tired all the time I'd be pounding the pavement day and night!! I've found the only longterm 'cure' for my bloating is lots of exercise (jogging/ powerwalking twice a day). I think in my case the bloating is directly linked to my C. If my bowels are good, my bloating is tolerable (so long as I'm doing everything else right re: diet). And the only longterm 'cure' for my C is lots of exercise, it has to be twice a day, and it has to be pretty high intensity. I suppose I need to manually move my bowels along!!

So I've woken up with more enthusiasm today then I had yesterday. I'm going to test out my 2 session per day exercise regime and see if it makes a difference. It sure did last year, but I had so much more energy then......

Take care sweety, I'll let you know how my doc appointment goes xxx

--------------------

Hi Suze new
      #166667 - 04/03/05 06:56 PM
Taylahmai

Exercise, yes! I just replyed to Ruchie about my thoughts on exercise. I remember last year my bloat was 90 % improved through diet (which I'm doing now...) and 2 sessions (45 - 60 mins) of high intensity exercise a day (swimming/ jogging/ powerwalking.... or do I dread to say it.... the gym!).

My recent chronic bloating (at least 2 - 3 inches) has gone hand in hand with starting benefiber, so I'm confused as to whether I should stop the SFS until I'm better, or will the SFS help to make me better! Urghh why is it all so hard! I do like your point about sticking with something tho... I've started the benefiber now, so will stick with it and see whether it makes a change.

Take care xx

--------------------

Ruchie... your photo!! new
      #166668 - 04/03/05 06:58 PM
Taylahmai

You just changed it!? You look so different!!!! What a cute puppy dog

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11241

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review