Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
replacing sugar
      #161715 - 03/17/05 10:56 PM
kk1976

Reged: 01/14/05
Loc: australia

Dear all,

I am new to this board. Have been diagnosed with IBS about 3 months ago. Have been on heatehrs diet and have seen minor improvements. I have now been told that I should cut down on my sugar intake. I love heathers apple/pumpkin, zuccini and ginger bread, but they all have a lot of sugar. Does anyone know if I can simply cut the sugar out or substitute it with something else that is IBS freindly?

thanks for any advice

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: replacing sugar new
      #161740 - 03/18/05 02:07 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, it depends on what you mean by "sugar". If it's refined sugar, then experiment using honey, although you'll need to cut the liquids in the recipe a little bit to compensate.

If you need to cut sugars altogether, the ONLY IBS-safe substitute sweetener is plain Stevia, available at health-food stores. I've never tried substituting it in baking, so you might better ask for advice on that at the store, if nobody else chimes in with advice on here.

I wouldn't cut the sugar out of the recipes altogether... they'd probably taste pretty awful, especially if you've been eating the full amount of sugar in them. I've successfully cut the sugar in half for recipes like the brown sugar banana bread, because if you use black-ripe bananas, they're pretty sweet as they are... but I also like my muffins and quick breads on the not-so-sweet side, so your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Stevia new
      #161949 - 03/18/05 02:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I want to get this for my morning hot cereal. I have to find it. Gotta keep the calories down.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

about Stevia new
      #162091 - 03/18/05 08:12 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

There was another post about this so I will answer both at once. Stevia does have an "artificial" taste, it does not taste like sugar, but I like the taste. I put it in my oatmeal every morning. Baking with it is tricky though, i can't remember the exact ratio but it is like 300 times sweeter than sugar (I think I am exagerating). There are websites with recipes for using stevia, but since the IBS recipes are already so altered, altering it further with stevia does not come out very well. My experiments have all fallen apart and been very crumbly. My aunt uses it to bake with but she uses real butter and eggs (with the yolks) and that keeps the breads, cakes, cookies etc. from falling apart.

It will also seem very expensive, because I bought a tiny 3 oz. jar for about $7.00, but it has lasted for almost a year, because a teeney bit works to sweeten things up.

#177450 - 05/08/05 12:53 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I'm wondering if consuming sugar can cause bloating. Last night I made the baked apple, which I think I botched, I used brown sugar. Now, mind you, I couldn't resist, I had about 5 spoons of brown sugar I ate out of the package it was so good, and today I feel bloated kind of like I feel when I have had fructose.
You see, with my body, the bloating is distinct, I can tell the bloating if it is from fat, bread, and sugar. Is it possible the Domino Brown Sugar caused this? Should I just reduce and not go wild eating it next time.

#177470 - 05/08/05 03:17 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Eating too much of anything could cause a problem, so maybe it was the sugar, but you say it felt like fructose, so what about the apple? I know applesauce is SF, but that is usually very well cooked and sieved/pureed - a baked apple could easily include areas that are 'less cooked' and that would definitely be a problem for me ... Have you had problems with either sugar or fruit before?

Josephine

#177499 - 05/08/05 06:41 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

you can substitute some sugar in some recipes with applesauce

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#177562 - 05/08/05 10:12 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I really have bad self control with sugar. Since I bought the brown sugar, it tastes so good, I have not been able to avoid eating this food. I had 10 spoons of it tonight, before I decided this was enough, and threw it away. Brown sugar tastes too good for me to contain myself from eating when I am near it, I don't want my 10 spoon rampage tonight to throw off my stomach tomorrow, but I am afraid it is. How bad is this much sugar for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, can it cause me to have bloating? My doctor told me sugar in alcohol can make Irritable Bowel Syndrome worse. Is this true with the amount of brown sugar I had. I really am happy I threw it out, I want to help put down Irritable Bowel Syndrome with me. As of now I feel like I do when I have alcohol, so I wonder.

Is Sucanut Ibs safe? new
      #177719 - 05/09/05 12:54 PM
ang1

Reged: 05/08/05

I know that Sucanut can replace brown sugar in most recipes. I know that it is cane sugar. Just less refined. I know this is better than refined sugar. Even better than Brown Sugar because it is less refined. Is this a good replacement? Is it IBS safe?

#177722 - 05/09/05 12:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Sugar (not subs though) is IBS Safe. But that doesn't mean it is GOOD for you!

Sugar does a lot of mean things to me...migraines, yeast infections, sinus blockage, and more! It does damage to my bod short AND long term. I just stay away from it...

I would throw the stuff out and not look back. You don't want to become addicted...it's not healthy

Good post

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1649 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1955

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review