All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hummus?
      #158195 - 03/08/05 08:31 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

My tummy got better for a bit, but now I'm right back at square 1- I wonder if it could be my hummus sandwiches for lunch? Problem is, I don't really have any satisfactory alternatives to put in my sandwiches, and I thought they'd be okay (I have a baguette with hummus) because of the SF base.

So, anyone else have problems with hummus- I feel so fat and bloated, and I'm fed up with it. It seems like I got totally better when I ate nothing but rice for almost a week, but I don't want to be restricted to rice and bananas forever, and end up dying of beriberi or kwashiorkor (sp)!

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

storebought or homemade? new
      #158209 - 03/08/05 08:51 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

The storebought brands might have tons of unnecessary stuff added to it. If you are making your own, it should be relatively safe. The only caveat is that sesame paste is somewhat high in fat, and that is an ingredient. However, mixed with the soluable fiber in the chickpeas, it should be okay. When I make my own, I boil the chickpeas first. We all know that anything containing a mix of ISF and SF is easier to digest the more it is cooked. I boil it until the little skins start to detach. Then I drain and reserve the liquid, and put the chicpeas in the blender. It's very cheap and very easy to make it yourself, so give that a try. There are many recipes circulating the boards, but I am partial to mine! my recipe

I hope that answers some questions for you!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Hummus? new
      #158217 - 03/08/05 09:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

I get a bit of bloating sometimes from houmous, as from from all beans.

Why are you restricted to houmous in your sandwiches? There are lots of alternatives.

Re: storebought or homemade? new
      #158229 - 03/08/05 09:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I eat hummus just fine!! I do know that even some of my "safe" foods, if eaten too many days in a row, will cause problems!! If you are eating it EVERYDAY, that may be the problem!! Try cutting back to every other day or just 2-3 times a week and see if that helps!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Hummus? new
      #158583 - 03/09/05 02:36 AM
JaneC

I'm vegan, so hummus is my favourite sandwich filling. I do sometimes have tofu, but it's not as nice! The only alternatives I have also contain beans- lentil & mushroom pate and spicy bean pate. Gah. I tend to just have hummus because I really, really like it, and it's one food I don't ever seem to get tired of!

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Re: storebought or homemade? new
      #158584 - 03/09/05 02:38 AM
JaneC

Mine is bought usually, but the ingredients don't have anything nasty in- it looks pretty similar to your recipe, actually. I know when I've bought baguettes from the canteen, the problem is that they put in a ridiculous amount of hummus, which would probably give anyone gastric distress.

Thanks!

--------------------

How about... new
      #158587 - 03/09/05 02:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

...something like avocado (SF) and a scraping of black olive tapenade. Or roasted vegetables?

Be creative! I know houmous is easy, but I know that I can't eat it that often.

Re: How about... new
      #158704 - 03/09/05 09:13 AM
JaneC

That does sound good; shall have to give it a try, thanks, Linz.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2059 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1344

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review