All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LongHorn Steak House
      #153744 - 02/24/05 01:26 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I sent an email to LongHorn Steakhouse to find out if any of their menu items can accomodate the IBS diet. This is the response I received:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and for your interest in LongHorn
Steakhouse. After consulting with our Culinary Team I find that I am unable to
adequately address your concerns due to the fact that our restaurants source raw
and processed ingredients from hundreds of providers across the United States.
Many of these products are mixed by the provider or in the restaurant and the
ingredients may change from time to time and batch to batch. Also, several of
these providers use proprietary blends of seasonings which are not disclosed to
the public.

We understand the seriousness of your question and we regret that we are unable
to provide the information you have requested.

Kind regards,
Nikki Mechem
Guest Relations

I'm not quite sure what to make of that - she wasn't very helpful.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LongHorn Steak House new
      #153758 - 02/24/05 01:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yeah, that's not the most helpful reply. I think what she's trying to say is that she didn't bother asking anyone anything, and just sent you a form reply. LOL

But seriously, what I get from that is that a lot of their menu items are pre-prepared when they get to the restaurant - not cooked, necessarily, but premixed or seasoned. So if you wanted to be absolutely sure that you weren't eating dairy, butter, added oils, whole eggs, etc, and there wasn't MSG in the seasonings, this wouldn't be the place to eat.

That's what I got from it, anyway. I don't even know if that's what you asked her! Hehe.

#153966 - 02/25/05 07:10 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I contacted a number of chain-type restaurants via their Websites to ask what I could eat on their menus and almost all of them said pretty much what LongHorn said to you. Chili's and Macaroni Grill were the only ones that were really helpful and I've posted about them on this Board elsewhere.

I agree with Atomic Rose that it's probably a form letter. The most generous explanation for it is that the restaurants actually use some local suppliers for stuff and therefore can't reliably say exactly what's in the food they are selling (a disconcerting thought in and of itself). Add to that people with deadly food allergies and easy access to lawyers and you can understand why restaurants might not want to risk making a mistake about what's in their food.

On the other hand, as I said in one of my other posts, I recently saw "Supersize Me" and it made me pretty paranoid about what's actually in restaurant food.

Here's one thing you might try to get more info out of them:

Olive Garden's corporate response suggested I contact my local Olive Garden to discuss this issue. I called the nearest one and asked whether there was egg or whole wheat in their pasta. The guy I talked with said he couldn't tell, the boxes weren't marked. I asked him if the boxes came from some central corporate location. He said yes, so I emailed Olive Garden back and asked my questions, explaining that I now knew the pastas came from a central location. At that point, they were willing to answer my questions about that specific food item. You might try a variation on that, picking out one or two things on the LongHorn menu you think might be okay, asking at a local LongHorn about them, and - if you learn they come from a corporate supply location - contacting LongHorn corporate again. (Although I'm not really sure we can trust someone who uses "source" as a verb - that's just so corporate speak.)

Also, after I posted the items Macaroni Grill said were safe, Spicey813 posted saying she'd worked at a Macaroni Grill and adding a couple more items she'd eaten safely. Maybe someone who knows the inner working of LongHorn will reply to you here.

My whole experience of trying to get info out of the big chain restaurants is close to making an activist out of me on this issue. If I can go into a grocery store and read labels on all the food there, why don't restaurants have to provide the same information?

I'm glad someone else is trying what I'm trying. It just seems like it would be easier on the restaurant as well as on us, if we knew for sure whether there was something we could eat before we walk in, rather than having to grill the poor waitstaff mercilessly once we get there - sometimes only to discover there is absolutely nothing we can eat in the whole place.

Sorry this got so long - venting a little.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand- so true new
      #153972 - 02/25/05 07:29 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have given up on many places because I can't get honest answers from them.. on the other hand- Panera bread has a list of every ingredient in every food item behind the counter and will share... I mean every loaf of bread, every bakery item, every soup, etc...

They have very few breads with dairy which is nice and are more then happy to share information especially when its not busy when you ask.. if it is busy- you can contact corporate or they'll hand you a binder and let you look while they help others... I have given them a lot more business because of that!

The sad one is the local places that won't answer questions for us either. you'd think they would want the business...

I am the one who had problems with macaroni grill because the local one cooks ALL pasta in oil... but the chain doesn't ask them to do that...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Sand- so true new
      #154151 - 02/25/05 12:15 PM
Sand

Thanks for the info about Panera. I haven't been very happy with the one near us, but I'll have to give it another try if they are willing to provide that much information.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

LongHorn Steak House new
      #154941 - 02/28/05 09:27 AM
MCV

Thanks to all for your replies. I've been finding that eating out is more stressful than it's worth, so I emailed a bunch of companies. If I get any more responses I will be sure to post them. Hopefully I don't get this generic reply from all of them!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Emailing Restaurants new
      #154977 - 02/28/05 11:05 AM
Sand

I'll be very interested in what you hear. I emailed:

Chili's - very helpful; I've posted the info on this Board
Macaroni Grill - very helpful: I've posted the info on this Board
Olive Garden - responded, but not much detail - just said to try grilled chicken breast and salmon; when pressed, told me that their pasta did not contain eggs or whole wheat
Applebee's - came back with a generic reponse; when I pressed, I got an actual phone call with the same generic response - we don't know what's in our food, we don't have a nutritionist you can talk to; I was surprised at this, since they've got Weight Watchers food on their menu now.
Ruby Tuesday's - generic we can't help you response
Cracker Barrel - can't help, but they are putting their nutrition info on Website eventually
Friday's - never heard back

Who did you contact?

--------------------

#154980 - 02/28/05 11:10 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

I just had to read the book Fast Food Nation for school, it was really interesting and a great way to put anyone off fast food!! It's amazing and pretty scary what they put in there!!!

#155000 - 02/28/05 11:59 AM
MCV

I should have talked to you first - I contacted a few of the same!

Here's my list:
Longhorn Steakhouse - reposnse posted, not very helpful
D'Angelo's Sub Shops - response posted
Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Olive Garden, The 99 - all have not replied yet

I was planning to contact more places, but first just wanted to start off with these few. I'll definitely keep you posted, as eating out has become a nightmare for me and I know others out there must feel the same!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#155039 - 02/28/05 04:53 PM
Sand

I think it's good you contacted some of the same places. Maybe it will encourage them to be more responsive if they're getting the same questions from more than one person.

I've almost stopped going out to eat - it's been great financially, but I used to really enjoy going out to lunch or dinner. My husband and I like to travel by car, so I started doing this to see if some of the chains we encounter on our trips have anything I can eat.

Please do keep me - and everyone else - posted (so to speak).

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review