All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
nutmeg
      #149140 - 02/11/05 08:53 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Does anyone have problems with this spice? It is listed in many recipes, but I read a few books and it is listed as one of the top 5 most aggravating spices for GI problems. The others were black pepper, chili powder, and I forget the rest! I think cloves were on there too.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: nutmeg new
      #149192 - 02/12/05 03:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have no problems with nutmeg whatsoever. I eat it every day, as a matter of fact. Then again, I don't have problems with black pepper, chili powder, or cloves, either, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.

I'm the same as Casey! - nt new
      #149199 - 02/12/05 04:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Just to be thorough... new
      #149227 - 02/12/05 07:30 AM
Augie

the total list included black pepper, chili pepper, chili powder, cloves, curry powder, garlic, ground ginger(I've read that a couple places!) ,mustard seed, and of course nutmeg.

And if anyone is interested, the least aggravating were allspice, caraway seed, cinnamon, mace, paprika, sage, and thyme.

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh, I'm jealous! new
      #149228 - 02/12/05 07:34 AM
Augie

I miss chili powder. I used to love chili! And wish I could do curry too! But for me, the plainer the safer. Or maybe I'm just psychologically causing the problems because I know they are on the lists. I don't know for sure, but I think I really can't handle them.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: nutmeg new
      #149252 - 02/12/05 09:01 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I avoid strong spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, black pepper, oregano, etc., because they can raise the acidity of my stomach and cause an attack of D. I'm careful about the Ph of foods I eat, especially for this reason.

But I think nutmeg tastes like old tree bark anyway.

~nelly~

Re: Just to be thorough... new
      #149258 - 02/12/05 09:16 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Some of the things on that list just don't make sense --- so I wouldn't much trust the list. Like ginger. Ginger is known as being very gentle and settling for the stomach. How many times have we heard that ginger ale was good for nausea and flu like problems - when nothing else would stay down? (even before we started thinking about IBS). It is sold in teas all over as healthy for your tummy. I can't imagine it being irritating in any way.

Some people do have trouble with garlic - others don't. I have used nutmeg and cloves and haven't had any trouble with them... but each person is different. I also have used chili powder. I don't use it a lot -- but I make a dish for my hubby with it - and taste it with the spice to make sure it's right before I add in the sour cream and corn and all that. I have never gotten sick from it - even though the spices are very concentrated when I taste them. I haven't tried curry.

That's just plain silly. new
      #149262 - 02/12/05 09:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ginger has been proven, through the years, to treat nausea and stomach upset! What nonsense.

And for the sake of being thorough, I can also eat chili pepper, garlic, mustard seed, and curry, which I *adore*!

BUT... thyme gives me wicked heartburn. So there you go!

Re: That's just plain silly. new
      #149267 - 02/12/05 09:33 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I can have nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, curry, and almost any spice. the only spice I cannot have is cayenne pepper.

Ginger new
      #149270 - 02/12/05 09:37 AM
Augie

The articles and books said that fresh ginger absolutely helped with digestion, but that ground ginger had the opposite effect and cause more GI distress so that people should watch out for this confusion and not get confused about the two different types.

I'm not saying this is true, just reporting what I've read! As you all know by now, I have no clue as to what is safe and what isn't!!! That's why I'm just putting it out there for the experts! You guys.

I know we are all different though, which makes it harder. This would be so much easier if there was one diet for everyone!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2271

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review