All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Veggie Dilemna
      #138320 - 01/14/05 07:52 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hey, guys! Right before Xmas, I started Heather's diet in earnest, with the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" food plan. Since then, I'm happiest to stick with the majority of food from that plan, with some experminenting with recipes (mainly from the recipe board). Now, here's my dilemna...I'm most probably not getting enough veggies, which means not enough insoluble fiber.

The problem is this: before I started Heather's diet, I was very attached to salads and anything RAW. In general, I have always despised cooked veggies, mainly because when I was a kid, they came from a can and were pretty icky and disgusting. I have always favored raw over cooked...unless it was in a roast or a soup. So, now, even though I see the recipes on the board for cooked veggies, I'm not sure what to do to "sneak" these veggies in.

If anyone is so inclined, can you please link to YOUR favorite veggie side dishes for me to try? Or, main meals that are strictly vegitarian?

I should mention that although I favored the raw veggies, I eventually pinpointed this eating habit as the root (haha, all puns intended) cause of my bloating and gas. Since that has subsided, I am very, very reluctant to go back to veggies and "face the pain." I'm sure this is simply a habit that needs to be broken, so if anyone can put in their two cents, I'd appreciate it!

Oh, and bear in mind I have a son who is, well, eleven! No exotic veggies (like brussel sprouts or asparagus) will be tolerated. However, all lima bean recipes will happily be considered!

Thanks for your help. So far, the recipes found here has been life savers. I hope you all can help me find creative and yummy ways to get veggies back in my life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Veggie Dilemna new
      #138336 - 01/14/05 08:33 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Sue,

I was a salad lover like you years ago, and am just now starting to incorporate them into my diet again. In fact, I was able to have a shrimp/crab mini-salad yesterday with no problems.

A great way that I am able to eat raw vegetables is to put them on my sandwich. The bread in the sandwich acts as my soluble fiber, so I am able to use lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc (although have had to cut out tomatoes and onions for my acidic stomach). Then stick some turkey in there and you've got a pretty yummy sandwich.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#138573 - 01/14/05 03:53 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oooh, Sue, I LOVE lima beans!!

Okay, let's see what ideas I can come up with. First, there's quite a few veggies that are on the safe soluble fiber food list, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets. Cooked carrots done right are really sweet and yummy. Beets people either love or hate. I love them and find canned beets or borscht (beet soup) very easy on the tummy.

Branching out from there, my absolute favorite vegetable is peas BUT NOT CANNED -- ICK! I'm talking the frozen baby peas. They're a little more than the regular frozen peas but darlin' they are WORTH it!

If you can eat corn, there's a million things you can do with it -- chicken corn soup, corn griddle cakes with maple syrup, corn souffle.

Mushrooms? Those great big portabella mushrooms grilled and served like hamburgers are really popular.

Vegetable soup? Pea soup? What about vegetable quick breads? I used to have a recipe for zucchini bread that was very yummy.

Okay, off the top of my head, that's enough to get you started. Now go click on the recipe link up above and start searching. Be sure and look for my "Pumpkin Pie Smoothie" recipe!!

Good luck, sweetie, and share your successes with us, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#139837 - 01/19/05 05:40 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Thanks, Laura. I sometimes feel guilty for eating potatoes or sweet potatoes...in this vegetarian town I feel like I'm not eating my leafy greans! Mushrooms are a great idea. And I had some fantastic split pea soup from a local deli yesterday...it had rice and carrots and some exotic spices. Yummy! I think the rice helped me with the peas a bit...I had no tummy troubles after my lunch. That was an improvement over the last batch of pea soup I tried.

Thanks for the ideas. That makes me feel better. I'll look harder at the veggie section of the recipe board for my ideas...I think I get so obsessed with the "main course" (to satisfy my demanding men) that I forget to consider the veggies!

sue

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 494

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review