All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Milk Thistle and Vitamin Questions
      #134676 - 01/03/05 12:04 PM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

Hi! I stopped in at GNC (a vitamin distributor in the states) to enquire about vitamins and such for IBS-ers. The gal behind the counter suggested taking only all natural vitamins, and perhaps a liquid vitamin, if I have IBS...because my stomach is already sensitive to dyes and other fillers. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I have never succesffully been able to tolerate Centrum, so I'm wondering if this gal may have a point.

She also told me that she had IBS, and that if she took a supplement called Milk Thistle before she ate pizza (which, with cheese and the grease is a trigger food for her) she didn't suffer any bad IBS symptoms afterward. Does anyone have any information on this supplement? I already take lactaid if I do eat pizza or other dairy (in small amounts), but I was wondering if Milk Thistle might be more effective.

Any input on the issue of vitamins and supplements would be appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Milk Thistle and Vitamin Questions new
      #134680 - 01/03/05 12:13 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Sueangell,
I would do more research on this. Milk thistile is for the liver. I do agree that a lot of the dyes and fillers in vitamines can cause problems for us IBS'ers.

Cloudygirl

#134682 - 01/03/05 12:17 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I take Women's One a Day. But I know lots of people have problems with vitamins and there are some that I've been sensitive to in the past - so be careful - if you can, try to sample some here and there before you buy the oversize bottle from price club or anything!!
Min

#135254 - 01/05/05 10:13 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

A couple of years ago I hurt my knee. After going to physical therapy and a few Orthopedic surgeons I found information on the web that mentioned that if you got nowhere with the orthopedic surgeon - you should see an Osteopath as there is an underlying problem that is causing my knee problem. I went to an Osteopath for the first time. I admit it was a bit out there - but he was right on the mark. He was the first person to say that I had digestive problems. He recommended that I take Milk Thistle for digestion. I did not take it as I had to find out what the problem was. I then started allergy testing and blood work. Five months later I was at the Gastro Doc and about 10 months later I was diagnosed with IBS. I forgot about Milk Thistle until I saw this post. It may be worth trying - but as someone else mentioned - would only purchase a small bottle.

#135361 - 01/05/05 01:04 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I was taking Milk Thistle for my IBS-C, it's for the liver but it also acts as a stool softener. It helped a little, and I would recommend it except don't expect a huge relief, it's more suttle. I don't know how it would affect IBS-D. One problem is that it makes the birth control pill less effective! So please take note of that!

--------------------
IBS-C

#135970 - 01/07/05 06:30 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Milk thistle is usually for liver detoxification. I don't personally see how it can help IBS?

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/milkt.htm

#136202 - 01/07/05 05:22 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Milk thistle is usually for liver detoxification. I don't personally see how it can help IBS?

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/milkt.htm

It can help IBS-C a little bit.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2568

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review