All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather- Web question and request
      #114371 - 10/20/04 01:27 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Heather, I have a technical web request for you if it's at all possible to consider this.

In HTML there is something called a title. The title of your web page is called "Heather's Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Boards". Is it at all possible to change it to "Heather's (IBS) Message Boards" and remove the long version of IBS? My reason is that I (like many people) check your site on breaks at work. The longer blatantly obvious title tells anyone stopping by my desk what I'm looking at. If it just said "IBS" I don't think as many people would know what that means.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oooh.... new
      #114413 - 10/20/04 04:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I understand why you would want this! I used to have windows open at work I didn't want viewable to someone looking over my shoulder, so I'd open up so many windows that you couldn't read the full title of any of them!

I can't change the title tag for the boards, because it's a key element used by search engines to find web pages. If someone is searching for an irritable bowel syndrome message board, and I only have IBS in my title, they won't find our site.

I'm sorry....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Oooh.... new
      #114434 - 10/20/04 04:43 PM
Tim G

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

Hi Heather,

As I understand it with HTML you can embed invisible meta-tags in the page which can then be used by search engines; by doing that you should be able to change the title without impacting people's ability to find the page.

Regards
Tim

--------------------
Tim

-A poor man's Jamie Oliver...without the attitude!

#114452 - 10/20/04 05:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Okay, if you're talking about something else, please let me know. The title tag I'm talking about is an invisible meta tag in the html code - that code is what search engines see, and also what shows in the browser window at the bottom of your screen.

If there's some other way around this please spill the beans.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Two different tags... new
      #114467 - 10/20/04 05:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

... unless HTML changed somewhere along the line and I missed it!

The title tag is what makes the title appear at the top of the browser window. The title tag looks like this <title> </title> (hopefully that showed up, heh). What comes between those tags can be changed, without affecting search engine results at all.

The meta tags are completely invisible and don't appear on the displayed page at all. That's what search engines find.

Hope that helps a little!

#114474 - 10/20/04 05:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Nope it's this line:
<TITLE>Heather's Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Boards</TITLE>

I'd want it changed to this:
<TITLE>Heather's (IBS) Message Boards</TITLE>

You are refering to the meta tags which are these (which are for search engines with key words and content). I don't want these touched at all:

<META name="description" content="Heather's Irritable Bowel Syndrome Boards give expert IBS (spastic colon) help. Diet, recipes, stress management, yoga, hypnosis, research library, & more for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Help for IBS diarrhea, constipation, pain, bloating.">

<META name="keywords" content="irritable bowel syndrome, ibs, diet, diarrhea, constipation, pain, bloating, nausea, gas, message boards, spastic colon, diarea, diarhea, diarrea, syndrom, bowl, recipe, crohn's disease, chrons, colitis, hypnosis, yoga, heather, recipes">

So what do ya think Heather?

Re: Three different tags... new
      #114604 - 10/21/04 09:20 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Posts above are correct regarding meta tags. Search engines do use titles to find you, but the "description" tag and "keywords" tag are also crawled. (The "keywords" tag is actually the one that most search engines key in on for search results.)

So, Heather, hope you do go with the change to IBS. Won't affect search engines at all.

~k

Re: Three different tags... new
      #114615 - 10/21/04 10:14 AM
Sara-Sage

Glad I got it right!

#114701 - 10/21/04 03:10 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

I understand why you would want this! I used to have windows open at work I didn't want viewable to someone looking over my shoulder, so I'd open up so many windows that you couldn't read the full title of any of them!

I used to do this method when I had a stricter boss and it worked just fine! Plus it was handy to have a few windows at the bottom that I could quickly switch to if someone was coming.

Good luck if you do decide to switch, Heather (doesn't matter to me either way) - I know you would have to make a whole lot of changes since you have so many pages connected to the site.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#114707 - 10/21/04 03:21 PM
Sara-Sage

Heather, if it's a lot of trouble, don't worry about it. I can try to disguise what I'm doing a bit better if I have to.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review