All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: IBS with constipation new
      #10470 - 06/02/03 07:56 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

I am new here too, and also suffer from IBS-C (with boughts of D every 4 or 5 days - guess the body says "that's enough, get it out of here!!!!") I have followed Heather's recommendations for a 8 days now and have found it to work wonders.

At first I was very nervous about all the fiber. After my last bought of D (a full 8 days ago - yeah!), I was EXTREMELY worried about taking fiber supplements on such a squirrly belly, but I did it anyway and IT WORKED! It bulked things up and made me feel better.

As far as fiber supplements go, please don't give up on them. Metamucil almost did me in - cramps, belly aches, bloating - you name it. I am using "Citrucel Clear Mix" now. I feel a bit bloated afterwards, but no pain or cramps. Also, for the first time in literally 2 years - I go (without pain, cramps or urgency) every single morning. Stick with it, give it a try and trust it. Oh, one more important thing - make sure you drink enough water. I mean, TONS of it. You will feel like you are going to float away, but I found this to be really important for me.

Sorry if I sound overly excited, but I feel great for the first time in a long, long time and I hope what is working for me will work for you.

Hope this helps.

Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is great! new
      #10494 - 06/02/03 11:02 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm just thrilled for you. Thanks for sticking in there with the Citrucel - it can be really scary to try something new like that when you're already feeling so awful.

About the bloating....the odds are really, really good that as your body adjusts to the Citrucel it will stop bloating you altogether. In the meantime try drinking strong hot fennel tea, which can help a lot.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Where do you get fennel tea? new
      #10587 - 06/03/03 08:23 AM
Gretchen

I have read about fennel tea for bloating and gas and I would like to try it, but I don't know where to buy it. Do I need to go to a health food store instead of the grocery store?

Also, glad to hear that the bloating from Citrucel will settle down. I just upped my dose from 1.5T twice a day to 2T twice daily and have been EXTREMELY bloated and gassy. I am TRUSTING that it's just my body's way of getting use to the extra tablespoonful of soluble fiber.

It's a weird thing, "trusting" food again, after food being the enemy for so long...

Thanks for your book and for sharing your experiences with us. I feel like I am waking up from a nightmare.

Gretchen Cory

Re: Where do you get fennel tea? new
      #10591 - 06/03/03 09:35 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

You can get Fennel Tea at most health food stores....I have also used Licorice Tea and that seems to help. If you are still getting bloated from the Citrucel in a few days, maybe switch to Benefiber? It seems that many people here ( including me!) have had great results from it! Good luck!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#10592 - 06/03/03 09:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I personally have never seen just plain fennel tea bags yet, but I've seen blends that have fennel in it. (like Celestial Seasonings Tummy Mint).

You can buy the seeds in bulk in spice shops or health food stores if you can find them. Sharon posted a place she was going to get some from before here.

Good luck!

#10594 - 06/03/03 10:00 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I use this Tummy Mint that Mags spoke of, it works well, I steep it for a really long time before drinking it so it gets good and strong. It works great for me! With the little ones I have a hard time making it to health food stores very often and have to err on the side of time/convenience, so these ready-made teabags from the grocery work better for me, though I've heard/read steeping your own fennel tea from the seeds is much stronger and I'm sure would have more benefit that way. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#10600 - 06/03/03 10:34 AM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi Gretchen
I live in Canada and I can get the Fennel Tea in a bag net wt 400g at Extra Foods I'm not sure if you have Extra Foods in the states or not. I found it in the Special Section of Foods from different Nationality's. It was only $2.69 a bag which is quite a bit cheaper than the health food stores. I hope this helps.
Georgette

Thanks All! new
      #10602 - 06/03/03 10:53 AM
Gretchen

Thanks. I will see if my grocery store has the Tummy Mint tea. I don't think they do though. If not, it's off to the health food store.

tnchawk, if the bloating doesn't go away in a couple of days I will definately try Benefiber. I've gone from pain, bloating and cramps with Metamucil to bloating and gas with Citrucel. I will keep trying until I find the right one!

Gretchen

Re: Thanks All! new
      #10609 - 06/03/03 11:22 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I've noticed my grocery store chain that doesn't like to carry stuff that doesn't sell (ie no yolk spiral noodles and other things) has the Tummy Mint Tea with the rest of the teas. I was suprised to see it. I haven't bought it yet, but glad to know it's there for when I do.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Thanks All! new
      #10622 - 06/03/03 02:56 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Gretchen - Try this Celestial Seasonings Store Locator to find a place near you that sells Tummy Mint. It doesn't list all the stores that sell it, but the ones it does list should have it.

Hope this helps!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 565 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review