All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
IBS with constipation
      #10383 - 06/01/03 07:17 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi! I have just been diagnosed as having IBS with constipation. I have read Heather's book, but am frustrated because most of it, and the messages here, have to do with IBS with diarrhea. What assistance is there for a person with the other problem?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS with constipation new
      #10384 - 06/01/03 07:30 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have IBS C and I have found that increasing my fiber intake has been a tremendous help. THere is alot of support on here for people with C. Just type it into the search engine! Hope you feel better!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#10397 - 06/01/03 01:32 PM
BL

I've tried increasing my fiber, and that only makes things worse. It just makes me extremely bloated and gasey. I have gone to bed many a night feeling and looking like I'm six months pregnant!

#10400 - 06/01/03 02:23 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

How have you tried increasing your fiber--was it soluble or insoluble? Soluble fiber supplements (such as Fibercon tablets, Benefiber powder, etc.) shouldn't leave you feeling worse if you're drinking enough water with them (at least 8 ounces per dose). Some people have trouble with psyllium, which is the ingredient in Metamucil, even though it's soluble; if that's the kind of fiber you began with, try one of the others I mentioned (I can't tolerate psyllium powder, but the Metamucil wafers are all right, and they taste good, too). Please don't give up on Heather's diet, it's certainly not just for those with IBS-D--the mechanisms behind the symptoms are the same, if that makes sense--just give it time.

#10403 - 06/01/03 03:35 PM
BL

I have tried Metamucil and it makes me more bloated and gassy. I am afraid to try Fibercon tablets, Citrucel, or Benefil because I am afraid I will become dependent on them. I looked at them at the store today, but the ingredients are different from the Metamucil. It didn't say it was psyllium. Is it ok to use them every day? The doctor I saw recommended I try using milk of magnesium. I did and it gave me diarrhea!!!! Help! Any suggestions?

#10418 - 06/01/03 05:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - You cannot become dependent on soluble fiber supplements. They are NOT laxatives. There's info about this here: Soluble Fiber

The labels for the supplements fall under FDA regulations for laxatives, but that information is actually not applicable to soluble fiber. There's info about that here: Soluble Fiber Labeling

That post is about Equalactin but the information applies to all supplements.

The IBS diet is for both constipation and diarrhea, because it normalizes bowel function from either extreme. There's info about that here:

How can the same diet work for diarrhea AND constipation?

Welcome to the board!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10434 - 06/01/03 07:25 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Don't give up on the diet. I have been very ill with IBS-C along with other sructural problems in the colon and the though I ready Heather's book only 2 weeks ago I am already feeling much better. If you continue to have problems, post what you have consumed the previous day and someone on the post should be able to spot if there is a problem with the food you are or are not consuming.

Lisa

#10435 - 06/01/03 07:27 PM
BL

Thanks so much for all of your responses! It is so nice to have someone to ask all of these questions to----and someone who understands what I'm going through. I have used the search feature and found lots of info on IBS-C. That has been a big help.

#10443 - 06/01/03 08:42 PM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

Hey, I feel your pain! I too suffer with MAJOR constipation alternating with YUCKY diarrhea. I too, like you find that there's just not an over abundance of info on constipation, but this is a great place to find support and wonderful advice. The fiber thing just gasses me up too, but sometimes it's not as bad as others. I have to ask you if you notice any sort of patterns? In my case, I've noticed that about 2 weeks after my period, I can generally tolerate more fiber or different foods. But as soon as my period begins, I have to really be careful as to what I eat. Just wondering if anyone else does this? Well good luck!....... Megan

#10446 - 06/01/03 08:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Megan, do a board search for past topics on IBS flares during menstrual periods. This is VERY common and there have been some great posts with helpful info on this.

For the soluble fiber, try different varieties, and you'll likely find one that doesn't cause gas. There's Equalactin, Citrucel, Fibercon, Benefiber...give them each a shot and one will surely not cause problems for you. It's a really individual thing.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review