All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
very gentle seattle class?
      #188253 - 06/22/05 09:25 AM
viva

Reged: 06/22/05

Hello -- I'm trying to find a very gentle yoga class in Seattle. My recent attempts to attend "gentle" courses have resulted in terrible backaches -- I have a fragile lower back, a torso that can spasm painfully (due to GERD), and i'm not terribly agile at the moment. So I do need a personal recommendation of a Seattle instructor or yoga center that is truly responsive to people with chronic health issues. Thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: very gentle seattle class? new
      #188326 - 06/22/05 12:04 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I go to the one on Friday nights at 24hr fitness in West Seattle w/Leah. You could call and talk to her 1st.... she is there a lot because she is also a personal trainer. I think her class is very gentle. The only down side is you will need a membership.... but all memberships include ALL classes.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#188484 - 06/22/05 08:56 PM
viva

thank you -- but since I live in the North End of Seattle, that would be very impractical for me. Any other suggestions of gentle yoga teachers? from downtown, to anyplace north?

#188485 - 06/22/05 09:01 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Lets see if Heather knows of anyone....

Oh, and just in case you did not know... there is a Seattle & Surrounding Areas - Social Gathering June 25th - 5pm @ Buca di Beppo-Seattle here is the link with the latest info... web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Are you close to Wedgewood or Capitol Hill? new
      #188825 - 06/24/05 01:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There are 8 Limbs Yoga schools both places, and most of the teachers alternate between the two. I love their classes - all of the instructors are very careful to address people's special needs, and there are lots of levels of classes. I'd look for a Basics level I-II.

Jenny's Basics classes are very nice, and she gives lots of modifications for easy versions. For something super gentle, try Mary's Basic's class Wednesday nights.

Also, any Yin classes will be all floor work, gentle stretches, very easy to make safe for people with injuries.

You might call the school (their site is 8limbsyoga.com) and ask for recommendations, and also show up early for a class so you can talk to the instructor. Honestly, I've tried a lot of different yoga classes and schools, and I've stuck with this one because I have never, ever had a bad instructor or experience there. From the yin to the basics to the advanced classes, they're all wonderful.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Are you close to Wedgewood or Capitol Hill? new
      #188944 - 06/24/05 02:08 PM
viva

Thank you Heather -- that's right in my neighborhood. I appreciate the recommendation and will give them a buzz. I also think we should emphasize that anyone embarking on a yoga class should know yoga can HURT you rather than help you, if you have back, neck or other problems that it isn't modified for.

Oh definitely - poses should always be modified for injuries!!! -nt- new
      #189974 - 06/28/05 07:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review