All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Crystallized Ginger HELP
      #68885 - 05/09/04 04:39 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Okay, I bought crystallized ginger for the first time and popped on into my mouth thinking it would be sweet and gummy- NOT! haha- it was really hot and i couldnt help but to immediently spit it right back out. So since i cant just eat it like candy, does anyone know any other uses for crystallized ginger?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Crystallized Ginger HELP new
      #68890 - 05/09/04 06:49 PM
natashajs

Reged: 05/09/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

hi! - i had that same problem - you can put it in hot water and use it as a tea booster - also, just eating a tiny nibble of it - as much as you can stand is good enough - i'm from the US and just moved to New Zealand a year and a half ago, and i found this great ginger beer (which is not alcoholic) - if you find any, just take a few sips of that - it works just as well - hope this helps

--------------------
IBS-D with Digestion probelms

#68900 - 05/09/04 07:32 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I remember seeing some recipes (muffins, etc.) somewhere that called for crystallized ginger... I'll see if I can find some for you!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#68904 - 05/09/04 07:55 PM
Kree

Okay, I'm back! I found a bunch of recipes using crystallized ginger for you. It looks like they can be used in muffins and cookies, with veggies and rice, and in a variety of other ways! Beware, a lot of the recipes listed are probably not IBS safe, but hopefully they'll give you some ideas! The carrots on the bottom of the first page look especially yummy.

Crystallized Ginger Recipes

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: THANKS KREE!!! Ginger Cookies???? new
      #68938 - 05/10/04 02:40 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

thanks kree, i found this recipe on that site you gave me- but i dont know how to ak eit ibs safe. what ca i use in substitution for the butter? Is molasses okay? I know you can just replace the egg with egg whites but im confused on the others.
PERFECT Ginger Cookies #34219
by meow! (see my other recipes) posted on Jul 15, 2002
(2 reviews)

These are great. Besides almonds, ginger is my favorite flavor, both in asian cooking and COOKIES! Hope you like these!

2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
3-4 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
extra sugar (for rolling)
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
2. Have 2 baking sheets on hand.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and cinnamon.
4. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in the egg, followed by the molasses.
6. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the flour mixture followed by the crystallized ginger.
7. Roll the batter in your hands into 1-inch balls, then roll them in the sugar mixture.
8. Set them on the ungreased baking sheets.
9. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are crisp on the outside but a little soft on top.
10. Cool the cookies on wire racks.
11. Store in an airtight container.

Re: THANKS KREE!!! Ginger Cookies???? new
      #68951 - 05/10/04 06:51 AM
Kree

You're welcome! Unfortunately cookies are a lot harder than most things to modify, because many of them need the "fat" in order to have the right texture... and as you know we can't have anything too high in fat. I don't know what texture these cookies are supposed to be, but you could try substituting unsweetened applesauce for at least 1/4 cup of the butter and then using soy margarine for the rest. If they're supposed to be a little cakier it should work, but if they're a crispy cookie it would probably turn out kind of funny. You'll never know until you try! Sometimes it's possible to just use less fat in a cookie without replacing it, too... it depends on the cookie. As for the other ingredients, you're right, all you'd have to do is use egg whites for the eggs. Molasses is perfectly safe.

If you do try this let us know how they come out! I wish I could give you a more definite answer, but I've never really been brave enough to try modifying many cookie recipes.

--------------------

#70930 - 05/16/04 04:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can also use it in Heather's gingerbread recipe from Eating for IBS - VERY yummy!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1600

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review