All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Less than 2 weeks until US Thanksgiving
      #289681 - 11/10/06 05:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It looks like we're going to be doing a "just the two of us" Thanksgiving this year. I'm going to make:

Roast Turkey Breast with Gravy

Skinny Mashed Potatoes or Mashed Potatoes with Broccoli and Onions - Joe insists there has to be a green vegetable on the table at Thanksgiving (I don't know why) and this would do double duty

Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes - I'm going to make them in a casserole and top them with pineapple slices before baking so they look more festive

I may have to do something with turnips - Joe loves them - and I'm not sure what I'm doing in the pumpkin pie area.

What's everybody else making?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Less than 2 weeks until US Thanksgiving new
      #289692 - 11/10/06 07:17 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I was also planning to do the twice baked sweet potatoes. Can you give me details on how you're going to modify the recipe, please??

We're also just going to be a twosome this year - which is fine with me! I'm not ready to deal with family and my IBS diet all in one day! I think I might do some sort of creamy pumpkin soup instead of turkey. If DH wants turkey, he can make it himself! I hear Heather's EFI book has a yummy sweet potato pecan pie recipe, so I think I'll make that, too. I'm still trying to decide what sort of IF veggie to include.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#289693 - 11/10/06 07:25 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Ooh ... good thread!

It will probably also be a just-the-two-of-us Thanksgiving for my husband and me. Tentative plans:

Me: oven fries and Plaquenil
DH: frozen pizza, marshmallows, and leftover Halloween candy

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Ooh, Jen, I want to be invited to your house for Thanksgiving. -nt- new
      #289699 - 11/10/06 08:32 PM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#289701 - 11/10/06 08:42 PM
Sand

Quote:

I was also planning to do the twice baked sweet potatoes. Can you give me details on how you're going to modify the recipe, please??

I always make this is a casserole (following ShellMarr's suggestion in the original thread) rather than stuffing it back into the sweet potato shells. So I'll bake the potatoes, mix everything together just like the recipe says, put it into the casserole, then top the casserole with some canned pineapple rings. I made this last year for Thanksgiving with my brother and SIL's family and everybody liked it but it looked so plain - I guess I'm too used to seeing marshmallows on top of sweet potatoes - so I figured I'd dress it up a little this year.

Quote:

We're also just going to be a twosome this year - which is fine with me! I'm not ready to deal with family and my IBS diet all in one day! I think I might do some sort of creamy pumpkin soup instead of turkey. If DH wants turkey, he can make it himself! I hear Heather's EFI book has a yummy sweet potato pecan pie recipe, so I think I'll make that, too. I'm still trying to decide what sort of IF veggie to include.

Please do post about what soup you end up making - Joe and I are eating a lot of soups this fall.

I'd forgotten about the Sweet Potato Pecan Pie in EFI - that looks good and being from Alabama originally Pecan Pie is definitely a winner. I was thinking about making the Pumpkin Spice Pie with Praline Topping. I don't have a springform pan but my friend The Mad Dessert Maker assured me I can use a regular pan as long as I'm willing to risk having it look like the dog's dinner once I pry it out.

--------------------

#289787 - 11/12/06 05:11 AM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

Thanksgiving is my favorite time of the year, probably because it is the holiday that our family always hosted and my mom cooked everything....soooooooooo good.
This year posts a slight challenge; I'm a little sad because I don't get to head home to Long Island this year so I'm undertaking Thanksgiving for my fiance and I, which I'm so excited about because I love to cook!

I was watching Rachel Ray this morning and she's had her 1 hour Thanksgiving specials on. She's got some go shortcuts to help with cooking but modifications are needed for the recipes...

1. She used turkey breasts with skin cut from the butcher and stuffed under the skin herbs and spices to give the turkey flavor...she used alot of EVOO but I think you could cut down big time
2. She also made this stuffing with apples, zucchini, onions and stale pumpkin muffins...it looks so delicious
Check it out!

#289864 - 11/13/06 06:44 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes - I'm going to make them in a casserole and top them with pineapple slices before baking so they look more festive

OHHHHH - good idea - I have been asked to make these again this year to bring to dinner at my parents' house. Sand - I'm stealing your pineapple slices idea!!!!!!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

A more than fair trade for the original recipe, MCV. -nt- new
      #289880 - 11/13/06 08:14 AM
Sand

--------------------

#289881 - 11/13/06 08:22 AM
Sand

These do look doable provided you cut way, way down on the olive oil and butter. I'd probably just brush the turkey skin with olive oil (I'm not going to eat it anyhow and I have faith in minimal seep through). Then I'd use only olive oil - and lots less of it - for the stuffing and gravy.

The other thing that looks interesting from this episode is the orange scented green beans. I'd skip the butter obviously - use just a touch of either olive oil or Smart Balance Light - but finally something new to do with green beans that doesn't have to involve gazillions of calories.

Thanks for the link. It's amazing how many of RR's recipes work fine provided you're willing to be ruthless about the olive oil.

--------------------

#290162 - 11/15/06 08:00 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hmmm... well, we made the "Cream" of pumpkin soup recipe that I found on this site last night. We thought we should try it out before making it for Thanksgiving. I'm glad we did because it was not that good. It was way too thin and bland. I could only take a few bites.

So, does anyone have suggestions for a yummy "main course" I could make that would focus on squash or pumpkin? It doesn't have to be a soup, but does need to be vegetarian!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20483

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review