All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Baby food for adults...
      #210984 - 09/04/05 08:05 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm at this point now esp. for meals on the go. Anybody else do this? I'm so embarassed...
Anybody have suggestions for purees? Want to keep costs down...

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Baby food for adults... new
      #211004 - 09/04/05 09:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Suggestions:

Spinach and herbs. It's awesome and flexible. I prefer to use fresh, but chopped frozen is cheap.
Do broccoli/cauliflower agree with you? Both, I find fantastic. Especially if you add herbs/spices.
Swiss Chard is another favourite.
Do you like asparagus? Green beans? Zucchini?
I like to combine, often. Spinach and green beans together;
spinach/asparagus is good; Swiss chard with either is wonderful. Most greens are great if you toss artichoke heart in with them. Zucchini and greens (spinach or swiss chard)is another totally tummy friendly combination. Honestly, I think it's the herbs/spices that make the difference! They also ease digestion. I favour basil, dill, parsley.

I personally like greens, the best. They're great cold as a salad. Excellent as a sauce/filling. You can toss a potatoe or some rice in with them to make them more tummy friendly if you like starchy things. You can use them in egg white creations or as dips/sandwich fillings, casseroles, if that is your style.

Squashes puree well.

I'm on a cauliflower (faux-tatoes) kick, lately. I've also been enjoying a lot of broccoli/basil puree. I even use the purees/sauces as salad dressings. I get in the mood for veggie 'sundaes' -- pass the green frosting! When I feel like a 'soup nazi' I just add more liquid and make it soupy.

I'm not sure what kinds of veggies you enjoy. Are there any
you eat/can safely enjoy without pureeing?

Kate, IBS-D.

Nothing embarassing about babyfood! new
      #211013 - 09/05/05 12:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I love it. Just put whatever you like in it.

Mmm, babyfood new
      #211018 - 09/05/05 04:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I love my babyfood fruits, although I admit that I'm too lazy to DIY and the Gerber stuff is too expensive for me, so I haven't bought it in a while. But just about ANY fruit makes a heavenly puree, with just enough sugar to bring out the flavor. I used to use it as a topping on bagels, pancakes, and toast, but it would also be mighty tasty mixed with well-cooked rice and chilled... like a fruity rice pudding but faster. Sprinkle with a little nutmeg and voila! Breakfast or a sweet lunch!

Don't be embarassed. A lot of us do this or have done it. Actually, when I was really on a babyfood-buying kick, I found out that every single cashier at the grocery store I go to has bought babyfood regularly because they love the taste of it! The texture is very comforting too. Nothing to be ashamed of, honest.

Re: Baby food for adults... new
      #211027 - 09/05/05 05:13 AM
uwponine

Thanks. Haven't tried many pureed veggies before. I've been having a horrid time lately with violent stomache and gut cramps so I'm trying to get creative to get a more balanced diet in hopes that'll help. But I do suspect it's the Zelnorm my GI put me back on. grr....

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Don't be embarassed! new
      #211031 - 09/05/05 06:48 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I don't particularly care for them, but my boyfriend (who does not have IBS) loves them. In fact we picked a good half dozen at least last night at Whole Foods for him! He particularly likes the fruit purees: apple and plum, apple and apricot, bananas, etc.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: oops, I think I misunderstood. new
      #211033 - 09/05/05 06:55 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Sorry, I thought you wanted ideas for homemade stuff. Storebought babyfood veggies, in my experience, are disgusting/vile. The fruity stuff is yummy, though. Don't be embarrassed at all--it's a staple for me...so safe and tummy friendly and flexible! Completely comforting. I think it's rather gourmet/haute cuisine, personally. The organic ones are best. Of course, it's easier/cheaper to make your own.

I think I misunderstood; I thought you wanted recipes/ideas.

Kate.

Talk to your doctor about the zelnorm new
      #211038 - 09/05/05 07:26 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How long have you been on it? If you are having increased nal pain and cramps, the makers of the drug tell you to stop the drug!

Re: oops, I think I misunderstood. new
      #211064 - 09/05/05 12:43 PM
uwponine

No, suggestions are the other thing I'm looking for. Buying it really adds up fast in cost wise so I'm definately looking for recipes. I'm glad you piped up...I was hoping you would.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: Talk to your doctor about the zelnorm new
      #211066 - 09/05/05 12:51 PM
uwponine

I'll call tomorrow. It's been bad for a bout a week since they upped my dosage. I have a few other things I do suspect as possible culprits but the Zelnorm is high on the list.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review