All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Burnt the Honey Glazed Snack Mix
      #167084 - 04/04/05 10:23 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I made Heather's Honey Glaze Snack Mix this afternoon, but most of the batch came out burnt!

I followed the instructions, heating in the microwave, checking every 90 secs, etc. The only thing I did differently was to stop after 4:30 instead of the recommended 5-6 mins, but only because most of it was already burnt. Also, the snack mix melted the plastic bowl, with holes through the bottom and warped the sides.

I tasted some of the pieces on top (not burnt) and it was so good! I'd like to try to make more (still have plenty of cereal left, but I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any advice?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Burnt the Honey Glazed Snack Mix new
      #167130 - 04/05/05 05:17 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Yes - it happened to me as well.... Anne

#167147 - 04/05/05 06:31 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

This has happened to me too. I find that stirring it every minute, and only heating it for a total of 3-4 minutes works well.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#167164 - 04/05/05 06:55 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I had the same thing happen to me as well. I haven't made it since but I think reducing the time and stirring it more would help.

#167234 - 04/05/05 09:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I make it in the oven, using the old Chex Party Mix baking instructions:

Cook in a roasting pan (I use a large Corning Ware baking dish) in preheated 250 degree oven for 1 hour. Stir well every 15 minutes. I also stir again 15 minutes after I take it out of the oven or it becomes one solid mass.

This stuff is yummy - seriously addictive - and I've never had a hint of tummy trouble after eating it. I don't know what I'm going to do when it's Summer here and too hot to crank up the oven!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#167241 - 04/05/05 10:08 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I did the same thing too. Just adjust the time and stir it more offten. I think I checked it every 30 seconds. I really is good!

I should make some more! Good luck. Its worth another try

--------------------

LOl new
      #167340 - 04/05/05 03:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

This morning at 6 I thought this said "BURT the Honey Glazed Snack Mix". chuckle chuckle.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Yep - it's a consensus new
      #167906 - 04/07/05 08:46 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Mine burnt the first time too. I use a ceramic bowl - microwave safe -- so no melting that. Then I do it for only a minute at a time and I think I end up between 3 to 3 1/2 minutes for my mix (in my microwave). It's worth it though -- and I get requests for it at church functions like small group and things like that.

#167998 - 04/07/05 12:33 PM
thetreester

Reged: 07/26/04

I stopped doing it in the microwave. I put it in the oven at 325 on any non stick pan (it should have edges), and stir it about every 8 minutes, for a total of 16 minutes. I think it turns out better this way anyway, esp if you have a small microwave.

#168555 - 04/09/05 02:48 PM
Berni

Reged: 08/13/04

I microwaved and cut the time down to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Turned out better, but then stuck together after taking it out of the microwave, even though I kept stirring occasionally as it cooled.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review