Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
chicken stuffed potatoes
      #148332 - 02/09/05 05:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Chicken Paprikash-Topped Potatoes

The traditional Hungarian dish of chicken and onion in creamy paprika sauce makes a hearty topping for baked potatoes.

4 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 12 ounces), cut into bite-sized pieces change to breasts
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon butter change to margarine
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream sour supreme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange in a circle on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at high 16 minutes or until done, rearranging potatoes after 8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Combine chicken, flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to coat.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture, onion, mushrooms, and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until chicken is done and the sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.

Split potatoes open with fork; fluff pulp. Divide chicken mixture evenly over potatoes; sprinkle with parsley.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 potato and 1/2 cup chicken mixture)

CALORIES 311 (25% from fat); FAT 8.6g (satfat 3.9g, monofat 1.9g, polyfat 1.2g); PROTEIN 22.9g; CARBOHYDRATE 36.3g; FIBER 3.4g; CHOLESTEROL 86mg; IRON 2.6mg; SODIUM 619mg; CALCIUM 56mg;
Cooking Light, MARCH 2002

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: chicken stuffed potatoes new
      #149165 - 02/11/05 09:51 PM
Heidi Blythe

Reged: 04/16/03
Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

yay! my grandmother's chicken paprikash was one of my favorite dishes as a kid - plus I'm always looking for potato toppings. thanks!

This was great! new
      #164445 - 03/27/05 09:34 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made this for dinner last night and it was really delicious.

I made the paprikash just as the recipe directed except I:
used 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
substituted canola oil for the butter/margarine
used Toffuti's Better Than Sour Cream instead of Sour Supreme
used ground black pepper instead of ground red pepper (because I'm not sure what ground red pepper is - is that the same as cayenne pepper?)

Instead of serving it over baked potatoes, I served it over noodles - it made 2 generous servings.

The chicken pieces were my least favorite part, so next time I'm going to:
leave out the chicken
increase the mushrooms
probably increase the onions
possibly increase the garlic
brown mushrooms, onions, and garlic, then sprinkle the flour mixture over it, add broth, and continue with the recipe
If it's as good as I think it will be, I'll finally have something I can feed my vegan friends

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Oops - scratch the vegan part - I forgot about the chicken broth -nt- new
      #164446 - 03/27/05 09:35 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: chicken stuffed potatoes new
      #165209 - 03/30/05 07:48 AM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I made this last night and it was really good, husband liked it too! The only change I made were I used canned chicken (purely for convenience sake. Thanks for the recipe...it's a keeper!

Wow I guess I should actually try it sometime- nt new
      #165407 - 03/30/05 02:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

this was fabulous! (crock pot version) new
      #292290 - 12/02/06 05:53 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I made this for dinner tonight and it was awesome!! My husband loved it as well.

Because I'm lazy, I did this in the crock pot. I also served over noodles instead of potatoes like Sand did, since it just sounded better.

I used two boneless skinless chicken breasts -- the kind that are frozen individually in the bag. I just threw them in the crock pot (still frozen), tossed in some frozen pre-chopped onions (3/4-1 cup), mixed together the spices (I used 1 1/2 t paprika, 3/4 t salt, 1/2 t black pepper, 1/2 t garlic powder), poured a can of ff broth over the chicken & onions, sprinkled the spices evenly over it, and cooked on high. (If I were going to be gone all day, I would've cooked it on low.)

When the chicken was cooked, I just used a fork to shred it -- this only took a minute because it was so tender. I cooked a 12 oz package of yolk-free egg noodles, drained the water, mixed together the noodles and chicken stuff, added 1/4 C soy sour cream, and voila. Actual time that I had to do anything was less than 30 minutes. That's if you count the 20 minutes I stood over the boiling pot of noodles, trying to warm myself up.

This is definitely a keeper! Thanks, LM.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review