All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
The Divided Mind - Psychological Causes
      #351466 - 11/01/09 09:39 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I think there are a few of us currently reading THE DIVIDED MIND by John E. Sarno M.D. (or perhaps you've read something dealing with the same subject matter) which explores what he calls Mindbody disorders and the relationship between the conscious and unconscious minds. While I don't expect anyone to divulge personal details, I'm just very curious to hear if anyone out there has actually cured/solved/stabilized etc. their IBS by uncovering a psychological cause? I, like most people I'm sure can recall some regretful occurrences in my life like not making my grade 8 basketball team, being dumped by the first girl I ever loved or being fired for the first time and so on but these are all rather low key compared to what I know some other people have endured and life went on. I can't imagine any of these things being the cause of my IBS.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Divided Mind - Psychological Causes new
      #351490 - 11/02/09 10:02 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

PMartin, I have just started the book and it is a BIG book with alot of technical info, so once I get through it, maybe everyone who is reading it, can have a discussion. For now, I will tell you that it was trauma (sexual abuse as a child) that triggered mine.

Everyone perceives stressors, big or small, differently. I don't think it has to be this "huge" thing in you life.

But this is all a conversation for after I finish the book.

Also, this may be the wrong board for a discussion about the book. This board seems to be more for Mike Mahoney's hypno CD's. I don't know what board would be more appropriate.

Geri

#351496 - 11/02/09 11:21 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Thanks Geri...and you're right...I wasn't sure where to post this one so that's why you see in THE LIVING ROOM too.

I know it must be hard to talk about such personal matters so I thank you very much for replying. It is a big book and I've only scratched the surface but I can't put it down...it's a great read.

I look forward to talking about it.

Patrick

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#351500 - 11/02/09 01:50 PM
Gerikat

You're welcome Patrick! It isn't so hard anymore. I have processed and am working on dealing with it.

The book is fantastic. It opens up many,many more questions for me. As I said, I read one of his other books and have respect for his writing and perspective.

I, too, look forward to talking about it.

Geri

#351531 - 11/03/09 07:39 AM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

I am reading a book by John Sarno right now also, thanks to this forum and recommending it I'd be interested in hearing if the approach has helped anyone here too!!!

I believe what he thinks could most certainly help our bodies. No one likes to deal with feelings that make them angry or upset so we absorb them within. Learning how to process these thoughts can't hurt!! I can directly relate my IBS issues to when my father left my mother when I was 17 almost 18.....all those feelings manifested themselves and left me where I am today....IBS/FMS sufferer. Just a domino effect from that day on. I just thought it was coincidental....maybe not.

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351562 - 11/03/09 12:52 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Medical science certainly has confirmed that there is a mind-body connection that is just a part of the human condition. Simply put, outside factors, the way we think, etc. all has an effect on our bodies - even in simple everyday ways - see a lemon, your mouth waters, facing making a speech in front of many people, you get butterflies - and that is blown into greater aspects with IBS folks.

I will be posting Michael Mahoney's interview which touches on the mind-gut connection - and he mentions dominoes of thought - just as you mention.

While we cannot always pinpoint a "cause" for IBS linked to psychological issues, we know that these issues can effect the way we feel.

We can become aware of these thought processes on a conscious level, which can be helpful for many people - to break a line of thinking - but for IBS symptoms, it has been researched that hypnotherapy and guided imagery can get to the subconscious level - and perhaps tap into issues we are not even aware of - not that these issues come to light on a thinking level, but negative and destructive thought processes can be replaced with hopeful and positive thoughts, which then can lead to symptom reduction.

Heather will be reviewing this thread for appropriateness; and while the topic is related to hypnotherapy in regard to mind-body connection, she has the final call.

For those of you discussing this book and method, you may want to further look into the information on this forum, as it has been shown to be extremely helpful and successful to the vast majority of folks who use it.

All the best - take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#351568 - 11/03/09 01:06 PM
Gerikat

Hi Marilyn,

I had suggested earlier to PMartin that this may not be the right area. PMartin also posted to the Living Room which might be more appropriate.

I have Mike's CDs and am currently going through them for the second time. I am finding myself more successful with the second go-round.

There are many folks reading that particular book right now. I will leave it up to Heather if she would prefer us to be in the Living Room.

Thanks! Geri

#351949 - 11/10/09 05:43 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've read the first three chapters and this book seriously speaks to me! I'm dying to discuss it. So much of what Dr. Sarno says makes sense for me personally - especially the symptom imperative. It also makes me think about the people in my life, like my husband and brother, both 'nice guys'. I wonder how much of their ailments are related to psychosomatic causes as well. This book brings to light an understanding of chronic illness and pain that is absolutely ignored by medical and psychiatric doctors. I want everyone I know to read it. Thoughts so far from those who are reading it?

#352013 - 11/11/09 02:02 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am partway through The Divided Mind, finding it fascinating, encouraging and stimulating lots of thought, writing, research, and self-exploration.

A question: Sarno initially developped his theory to apply to back pain and it seemed to involve the brain depriving the area of oxygen. Then he extended his theory to cover other kinds of pain - "TMS" - but I'm unclear whether it's still based on the idea that the site of pain, i.e. in our case the GI tract, is being deprived of oxygen.

Also, I wrote to Sarno to ask what kind of psychological therapy would be of assistance for IBS. He replied rather tersely, but I received a longer response from his assistant:

"The type of psychotherapist you will need to find in Toronto should be analytically trained. That is the key word "analytically". Should you find such a person Dr. Sarno suggests that you share the book with that therapist and see if he/she agrees with his concepts. When we say "no physicians trained in Canada" is not misleading - it means that no M.D. from Canada has come to New York and trained with Dr. Sarno in the diagnosis and treatment of TMS. All the physicians we recommend to patients living in the US have all come to NY and trained with Dr. Sarno. If you know of a physician in Canada who would be willing to come to New York and train with Dr. Sarno he/she can call Dr. Sarno and speak to him directly.

There is a video/DVD of Dr. Sarno's lecture (2hours) produced by one of Dr. Sarno's patients that is available by calling 800 263-6939."

I also found this website and this handout from Sarno's department at Harvard-Ratcliffe helpful.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: The Divided Mind - Psychological Causes
      #352015 - 11/11/09 02:31 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well I haven't seen this book, though would be interested in exploring it. If any of you can provide me with an ISBN number, I certainly would appreciate this.

I've had IBS-D for about 15 years, and am now a senior. My adult children have issues with narcissm, which is yet another avenue of broken mind issues. They were victims of a nasty divorce and custody battle. I kept on working hard at my job and gave them my very best always, making my children my priority in life.

After I went through the California disability system, I all but collapsed. I could no longer work, my children had totally abandoned me as adults, and I developed IBS-D.

Such overall is very unpleasant, particularly for someone like myself who has always been kind to others, a planner, and a loving person. I'm definitely not a perfect person, though I DID give everything my very best always. I definitely am not a Type-A personality, probably was once more like a doormat who met everyone else's needs at the expense of my own.

Now the time has come to focus on myself and take care of my own needs, though I haven't found this quite so easy as a single senior woman living alone with no understanding nor emotional support locally.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37013

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review