Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
stopping protonix?
      #331509 - 06/24/08 12:10 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

hi all,
Since I have some extra time off this summer, I decided to start something. I have been on an acid blocker for about 10 years. I know a lot of them are not OK to take during pregnancy, and though I do not want to get pregnant yet, I do want to start preparing my body.
So I stopped Protonix yesterday. THe acid has returned and I feel terrible. I'm supplementing with tums (which dont bother me), but does anyone know what I can do to help stop the acid?
I truly believe this is rebound acid and should settle down within a few days or so, so I'm looking for something to get me through the next while, along with nights! last night was horrible..
any advice? Has anyone taken themself off these kinds of meds?
Preggo people-- do you take anything for acid?
Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: stopping protonix? new
      #331690 - 06/28/08 01:50 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Oh, Aly.
BOY do I feel your pain!!!
I have been on PPI's(Proton Pump Inhibitors)for 7 years. Try Absorb Aid when you eat. They are all natural plant based digestive enzymes(they are in capsule form, and you can find them online, OR at Whole Foods Market). TOTALLY safe, and totally vegan. They are AMAZING!! You will LOVE them...guaranteed!!!!

I took them during both my pregnancies, and I have perfectly healthy, beautiful babies.

Good Luck!! Let me know how you are doing over the next few weeks...as I am curious. I would love to get off my acid medicine too!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#331692 - 06/28/08 02:45 PM
Aly

oh you are the best! I actually am going to go right now to the health food store around the corner to see if they have it. Otherwise, it's off to Whole Foods tomororw! I am HATING this burning stomach feeling. I took some protonix today, but b/c I haven't for a few days, it did nothing. What a miserable feeling!
Did you find the absorb aid helped with everything, even the IBS? I read about it and it sounds fantastic. Do you know if it interferes with birth control, as a lot of herbs do?
Thanks SOOO much!

--------------------
IBS-A

#331695 - 06/28/08 04:23 PM
fancymom

It most certainly does not interfere with anything!!

When I was pregnant with our first, I even took the bottle to my OB/GYN for her to look at the ingredients, and she said "these are fine, they do not even go into your bloodstream at all, they stay only inside your digestive tract."
She also told me she did some research on them herself, just to make sure she was correct. She said they were fine, and should not be harmful while pregnant, and should not interfere with ANY prescription medications at all.

I promise you will love them. I cannot wait for you to e-mail me in a few days and tell me how much better you feel!! I KNOW how miserable you must be feeling!! They have truly been a life saver for me. I take 2 capsules at the beginning of all my meals, and 1 capsule if I eat a little snack.
{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}

--------------------
FancyMom

#331700 - 06/28/08 05:29 PM
Aly

Fabulous! I found something at whole foods called acid ease, or something like that, and it seems very similar. It says take 2 before each meal. How long before you eat do you take the pills? I also found a multivitamin with some of the same ingredients in it which I'm going to give it a try. it's a multi that is for good digestive health as well. Figured I'd give it all a go! But as for tomorrow, I'm starting with the acid ease stuff ASAP! Enough of this crummy feeling!!
Thanks for ALL of your advice. I'll keep you posted about everything.

--------------------
IBS-A

#331709 - 06/29/08 05:32 AM
fancymom

Hey Aly!
Well, I use the Acid Ease as well, I just take it between meals if I am having pain.

The MAIN thing I look at when my belly is starting to act up is my diet. Too much sugar, alcohol, dairy, or fatty foods will do it every time. Although I seem to have a LOT of triggers, those are the worst!

To answer your question, I take my Absorb Aid with the first bite of food. Do that and you should be fine!

Good Luck!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332181 - 07/09/08 01:24 PM
fancymom

Ok, Aly.
Dying to know how it's going with you!!!!

Please let me know how you are. How's the tummy?? Are you still off Protonix? How's the Acid Ease?

--------------------
FancyMom

#332189 - 07/09/08 03:18 PM
Aly

Hi! I am back on protonix. BLAH. But I had to. I got my period as I was trying to deal with the withdrawl and all, and it was a HORRIFIC period! (just started seasonique, so it was like 3 periods in one. bad) So, I decided to deal with one battle at a time. I'm having a horribly busy 3 weeks, but in Aug when I have time, I'm going to get off Protonix. I'll get the stuff you use and give it a good go. I wish I could try it now, but I'm going to be teaching some very intensive musical theatre camps and I cannot afford to have acid! LOL
I'll post as soon as I start my journey:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#332214 - 07/10/08 09:57 AM
fancymom

Hey! I am finding out that if you stop eating sugar, you won't have indigestion nearly as much, if at all! Easy fix, right??!! HA

Well, I'm glad your feeling better, even if you had to go back on it. At least your not hurting...that's the pits!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review