Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Colonoscopy Tuesday
      #308137 - 05/30/07 10:54 AM
Cinsue

Reged: 04/25/07
Loc: Tustin, Ca.

Hi-

I am scheduled for my first colonscopy on Tuesday. I will also have an upper endoscopy to try & determine the source of my chronic anemia. I am supposed to be on clear liquids 2 days before & will be doing the Fleet Phospho soda prep. I'm really not sure what to expect & am terrified at the thought of all of this. Any suggestions, experience, or even a smidge of encouragement would be appreciated!

--------------------
Cindy Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy Tuesday new
      #308185 - 05/30/07 08:10 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Here's a link to a very useful article on the colonoscopy prep: The Colonoscopy Prep Made Simple . (It's listed under the Crohn's & Colitis board.) You could also try doing a search in the IBS Diet forum, since I'm pretty sure it's been discussed there before. I haven't had a colonoscopy (just a sigmoidoscopy that didn't require a prep), so I'm sorry I can't give you any other information. I hope your procedure goes well.

#308201 - 05/31/07 07:48 AM
Cinsue

Thanks!

--------------------
Cindy Sue

#308218 - 05/31/07 09:07 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey there,

I have had two colonoscopies in the last sixmonths...yep, I'm that lucky . Yes, the prep is horrible, I'm not going to lie. But if you go into it knowing what to expect, at least you'll be prepared. I did the Fleet prep for my first one, and I didn't eat any non-liquid food two nights before my procedure. Most of what I ate was chicken broth, water, decaf iced tea, and a little bit of jello. Starting at 3pm the day before, I didn't eat or drink anything and started the prep. In essense, be prepared to stay in the bathroom for a while. I made sure I had a good book or magazine with me. Also, wet wipes or tucks with witch hazel help the discomfort a bit. By the time you go your appointment the day of it, you'll probably feel a bit light headed because of lack of nurishment. But the actual procedure is easy -- the nurses I had were incredible, and make you feel really comfortable. Plus, they knock you out, so all you remember is the anesthesiologist counting down and the next thing you know you are waking up. My only other piece of advice is that even though you'll be really hungry when it's over, don't overdo it with food. My first time I ate too much afterwards and my stomach was not ready for all that food. Treat it like you would with IBS: small, safe portions throughout the evening. Other than that, know that I will be thinking of you and hoping everything goes ok! HTH

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerance

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#308223 - 05/31/07 09:51 AM
Cinsue

Thanks Julie! I really needed those words of encouragement. I just keep trying to remind myself this will be over & done with soon.

--------------------
Cindy Sue

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2592

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review