All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone ever had a CT scan or MRI for rule-out IBS?
      #93017 - 07/25/04 11:04 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a CT scan or MRI for their tummy problems? The docs are all saying that they think a small bowel follow-thru is necessary for me, but are hesistant due to my bad reaction to the barium last time, and I read that sometimes CT scans or MRIs can detect some disorders of the bowel.

Anyone have any info on this? or been through any of these tests?

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone ever had a CT scan or MRI for rule-out IBS? new
      #93022 - 07/25/04 11:30 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Kelly,

I have had both for my head because of my migraine problem. I have never had them for my stomach. Sorry I can't be more help. The tests are really no big deal. I was very nervous before hand and when I finally got in there it was nothing.

--------------------
Janey

#93029 - 07/26/04 02:05 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I had an abdominal and pelvic CT scan last fall when they were trying to diagnose me to rule out other things besides IBS. I had trouble drinking all the barium, especially since I blacked out when they gave me the IV (so they could give me another type of contrast via IV). They eventually let me not have to finish the barium, but they weren't happy about it.

My GI wanted to do a small-bowel follow through as a last test (after blood tests, the CT scan, a colonoscopy and an endoscopy), but I didn't see the point since she's was fairly certain I had IBS and I couldn't really afford any more medical bills.

Not sure if that helps at all, but that's what I've been through.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#93033 - 07/26/04 02:52 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I had an MRI. That is how they found a blockage in my gall bladder. That led to more tests and they found out that it wasn't working at all. I had it removed. I still have IBS, but, I do not get the additional pain from the gall bladder trying to function everytime I eat.

#93034 - 07/26/04 04:33 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Hi Kelly,

I had an abdominal & pelvic CT. The procedure itself isn't too bad - you have to drink alot of barium prior to the test (I just plugged my nose & chugged it!). They put you in a machine that is basically a large ring around your abdomen and an IV is given to you for contrast - it helps the barium stand out on the test (at least thats how it was explained to me).

Once that is done they take their pictures, ask you to drink a small cup of liquid and take more pictures (it doesn't take too long) and ask you to wait a little while after the test to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction to the barium.

I had a lot of pain and D (I'm IBS-A) after the test but at that time I had no idea I had IBS. Looking back I would have taken Tylenol, an anti-spasmoditic, and a SFS immediately afterwords.

I hope this helps. Have a good day!

Kim

#93039 - 07/26/04 05:45 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I had a CT scan for my stomach. I had that done first when we had no idea what was wrong. I was throwing up everything I ate....and there was no way I could drink that barium. I drank one glass, and they didn't make me drink it anymore after some crying and complaining.

The machine is pretty amazing. And at one point they put this stuff in my IV that made me all warm from head to toe, it seriously felt like I was peeing for a second!! But of course they warn you about that

The first doctor was telling me he thought my bowel collapsed and I would need immediate surgery! Then they brought in 3 more doctors to look at the x-rays and 2 of them said not to do surgery right away because it was too difficult to judge that from the x-rays... that's when I had the scopes done.
SO - luckily I didn't have the surgery. Although I almost wish that my bowel had collapsed and this would all be over.

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#93089 - 07/26/04 09:57 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

That was the first thing I ever had done. I was in so much pain, and they wanted to make sure I didn't have anything really serious like appendicitis or something else. Of course, this is what I got out of it..."Well...you're severely constipated and there's nothing you can do about it, you'll just have to live with it for the rest of your life!" PBBBTH!!! What an idiot!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#93168 - 07/26/04 12:44 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I've had two CT scans, one in the hospital after surgery (looking for what we suspected was an abcess) and one a couple months later (looking for the cause of some bad pain). The CT scan is easier to tolerate than the barium, unless you're badly claustrophobic. Just keep in mind, if they don't warn you, when they first start it you may get a real weird RUSH that makes you feel all hot and electric and like you have to go pee (but you don't). If you're expecting it, it's not so bad, but if you didn't expect it it might be kinda scary.

And yes, CT scan can show the doc stuff that might not turn up on other tests.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 576 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3589

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review