All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a few questions
      #6891 - 04/23/03 08:37 AM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

I finally got my copy of "The First Year" and I have a few questions. I thought that we were only supposed to eat brown or wild rice. Is this incorrect? Are we supposed to eat white rice instead? Is white rice okay to eat? Also, I have taken out all of the bad things in my diet, and I feel better. However, I never ate only souluble fiber. I still have lower abdomen stomach pains so I'm wondering if I need to start over, and eat just the soluble fiber for a week and then reintroduce other foods. Are we supposed to puree beans before we eat them? I also read that when you go to restaraunts you ask for your food to be made without oil or MSG. Do they usually do this quite willingly? I ate Thai food the other night, and noticed that is was quite oily. I would have loved to have gotten it without this. Can you use Metamucil every day? I noticed on the back of the bottle it says "do not take for seven days or more" (or something like that). Please give me your imput on this. I appreciate any advice, and I apologize for the lengthyness of this post. Thanks again ya'll.
canyontinsley

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a few questions new
      #6894 - 04/23/03 08:58 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi!

I have gone to restuarants where they are very accomodating with your dietery needs. Just tell them you have severe food allergies or whatever you are comfortable saying.

I went to Moxies and they were wonderfully accomodating. I went there another time and they were so busy that I have to choose something easy to make because they couldn't really be that helpful that night.

Just be willing to comprimise and they will be too.

As for the rest of your questions, sorry but I am not sure - hopefully someone else will be able to help you with these.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#6895 - 04/23/03 09:09 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi there! I will do my best to answer some of your questions. Any kind of rice is great to eat. Brown rice has a little insoluble fiber, so if you are having a rough bowel day, white is probably a little more soothing. Heather has a good post about brown rice here . It probably wouldn't hurt to stick to only soluble fiber for a week and see if those lower abdominal pains go away, and then slowly re-introduce those other foods. Just a thought, if you have only just started taking Metamucil (or other supplement), it might be causing a little gas, which could cause pain.

The skin of beans are insoluble fiber, so pureeing them should make them much more tolerable. The same is true for any vegetable, the skin seems to be the biggest problem. (Potato insides are great, the skin causes trouble, etc.)

I don't do much eating out, so I can't tell you how willing restaurants are to alter their dishes.

And lastly, soluble fiber supplements are fine to take every day. I think Metamucil is psyllium fiber, which I can buy from my health food store without any warnings about how long to eat it. My bottle of Metamucil capsules has two different sections - the side for fiber supplement has no warning about taking it for only 7 days. The side labeled drug facts does say stop use after 7 days. It might just be an FDA regulation to have that on there, because I think most of my over the counter medicines have something about stopping use and seeing a doctor after a certain amount of days.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#6897 - 04/23/03 09:19 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

Hi. I think brown rice may have too much insoluble fiber which will upset you. Apparently you must have a base of soluble fiber before eating a little insoluble fiber which is still recommended - but only after you have stabilized (no attacks) for some time, and in very small quantities. I am a very stressed-out person so I always have stomach pains regardless of my diet.

Yes, puree beans (or chew very very thoroughly - which is what I do) to breakdown the insoluble outer skin of the bean.

I asked the same question about the supplements when I started - we (IBS sufferers)can take 2 tabs 4 times a day (or less if your system works well) continuously (everyday). I need the 8 Fibercon tabs a day. I've heard that Metamucil and ??? (can't remember) can give you gas which I tend to suffer from; so Fibercon works well for me. You can also do a "search" of this message board - type in "fiber supplements" & you will get a lot more info.

The idea is to always have soluble fiber going into your system throughout the day which keeps you stabilized.

This has been a very long reply post!

Hope this helps you. Lisa.

#6948 - 04/23/03 01:57 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Quote:

...I thought that we were only supposed to eat brown or wild rice. Is this incorrect? Are we supposed to eat white rice instead? Is white rice okay to eat?... I still have lower abdomen stomach pains so I'm wondering if I need to start over, and eat just the soluble fiber for a week and then reintroduce other foods. Are we supposed to puree beans before we eat them? I also read that when you go to restaraunts you ask for your food to be made without oil or MSG. Do they usually do this quite willingly? I ate Thai food the other night, and noticed that is was quite oily.... Can you use Metamucil every day? I noticed on the back of the bottle it says "do not take for seven days or more" (or something like that)....

rice: brown and/or wild is okay if you've been feeling well, at least that's how it is for me. on a "bad" day, though, stick to white rice. it's WONDERFUL... lots of different ways to make it, too.

starting over: not a bad idea. you might want to check out "breaking the cycle" on the eatingforibs page and go through that till you start feeling better and then slowly add in more variety to your diet.

restaurants: are usually really good about doing special things for you. like, i got an alfredo dish without the alfredo sauce once, and once, pizza with no cheese. sometimes the waiter looks at you weird, but other than that it's okay. :-)

thai food: tends to have sesame or peanut oil in it. next time i suggest you just ask if they can make it with no oil, or as little as possible. don't feel embarrassed about it. :-)

metamucil: they have to put that label on there because it's sold as a "laxative" in stores, although it really should be considered a supplement instead. it's completely safe to take every day... you get fiber from the things you eat, too. it's completely natural and safe, just make sure you drink enough water with whatever fiber you're taking. also, metamucil tends to give people gas, so if you notice this, you might want to switch to something else. benefiber is a powder that has nothing added, it's just guar gum. and equalactin is a chewable tablet that is marketed especially for IBS-ers.

feel free to ask questions, that's what this board is about!

beth

#6970 - 04/23/03 02:47 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Lisa37 - Please don't worry about the length of your posts--as long as it contains information that will help. Some of mine are the longest...I'm sure we'll get comments from some of the smart alecs about that comment!!! LOL

Sharon

PS - 6 cats and 6 dogs--you're my kinda lady!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1946 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review