All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
worries....
      #43209 - 02/05/04 04:05 AM
matrix

Reged: 02/05/04

Hi,
I just found this web site a few days ago and have strated the diet with success...so far. What I find strange with this site and message bord is that I do not find a lot of information about the constant worries and anxiety about IBS attacks (Type D). To me this is my biggest problem. I can take the pain, but I refuse to live with the anxiety. Just the thougt of going in a car seems just impossible to me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: worries.... new
      #43211 - 02/05/04 04:13 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

There have been lots of talks around here about the fear of attacks. Just hit the search button at the top of the page.
That anxiety CAN be beat. Once you get your symptoms under control, you will be able to hop in the car and not worry about attacks.
I still have to be careful and make sure I don't eat anything bad before I go on a big trip, but my anxiety is nothing as it was before. In the meantime, I would suggest trying imodium to get you through any times that you really can't deal with an attack.
Be sure to ask any questions you may have. Take care.
PS - many of us here are on antidepressants - that may be an option for you. They sometimes ease IBS symptoms, AND help with anxiety. You may want to check with your Doctor.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#43212 - 02/05/04 05:40 AM

Unregistered

matrix,
I am new to this site too, I think the further you read you find people discussing this. I to am like you I have the D-type as well and it is very hard to do things. I always pick and choose per say when I can go somewhere or not by the day. I wake up and go to bed thinking about it. But there are alot of helpful people on this site, keep looking

#43221 - 02/05/04 07:50 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome!

I just want to expand on HanSolo's excellent comment about antidepressants. They are indeed slightly constipating which has been a blessing for me. I take them to keep me depression free, the help with D is just an added bonus.

As far as anxiety, I very recently had an eye-opening experience. For years I've done all the right things to keep me in a good frame of mind, therapy, meditation, etc. But I found I was dreading an upcoming plane trip due to other health problems. My therapist prescribed a small dose of Xanax, an antianxiety drug, and MY GOODNESS what a difference. I felt like a normal person for the first time ever in my life! I had no idea that my level of anxiety was a) higher than normal, and b) easily treatable. I wish someone had told me!! I had been borderline agoraphobic, which I thought was just laziness, not wanting to go out. I was afraid to make phone calls, which I thought was laziness again, procrastination. I was nervous around other people, which I thought was shyness or fear of intimacy. Now, nothing fazes me! I go about my day effortlessly! What an absolute miracle!

I know it's not for everyone, but I just wanted to share my experience!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#43328 - 02/05/04 01:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I hope that you find as your symptoms come under control your worries and anxieties lessen, as you'll really reduce the attacks you're having. Yoga can be a helpful tool here, but the best thing of all is to try the hypnotherapy program. Check the link to Hypnosis for IBS section of the site, and check out the IBS Hypnosis forum here on the boards. This program works wonders for the anxiety and worry about attacks, usually eliminating that whole element completely.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 671 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1063

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review