All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and certain Snacks
      #372035 - 04/23/15 12:47 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

HI Ive been trying to cut down on gluten and have been snacking on the following - Tortilla Chips - low salt and Skinny Pop black pepper popcorn ....they both have corn and safflower/sunflower seed oil and are low in salt and fat - is corn and/or these oils ibs triggers? I just purchased 5 bags of these .....been having lots of anxiety lately so it might also be triggering.......

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and certain Snacks new
      #372037 - 04/24/15 07:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Corn can be high in insoluble fiber - a common IBS trigger. I cannot eat Tortilla chips.

BTW - gluten is not a proven IBS trigger. However, a carbohydrate found in the same grains that contain gluten called a fructan - a high FODMAP - has been proven to be an IBS trigger

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#372038 - 04/24/15 09:06 AM
Kathy

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

Most doctors WILL NOT tell you not to eat any corn products. It makes IBS worse. I was using corn for a long time in my food and it finally dawned on me! I told my doctor and she said "well, I thought you knew that." DUH! So dont depend on what your family doctor says. Question everything.

#372039 - 04/24/15 12:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The popcorn is likely going to be harder on you than the chips, which are made from corn meal.

Corm meal is pretty finely ground, which breaks down the insoluble fiber, so if the chips are fat free you may be just fine.

Popcorn still has the hull, the insoluble fiber part, intact, so it is a really likely trigger.

Remove both from your diet till stable, then give the chips a chance. They might still have too much insoluble fiber for you, but you also might be just fine with them. I do really well with baked tortilla chips - but not with the fried ones.

The popcorn I'd just avoid - that's a toughie.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 477 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3300

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review