All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yerba Mate
      #361557 - 10/20/10 10:33 AM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

I'm curious if anyone has found yerba mate to be helpful with digestion issues? I know it has caffeine in it, which is something that is not recommended for IBS sufferers, but I'm curious if the digestion benefits that are related to this product might actually counteract that.... just curious if anyone had any thoughts or experience.

Edited by Narcissa (10/20/10 10:34 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yerba Mate new
      #361559 - 10/20/10 12:16 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i LOVE mate and i find it very tolerable. it has the same level of caffeine as coffee, but i am quite sure that (for me, anyways) it is the acid in coffee that is such a strong irritant, which i don't find with mate. i haven't had it for a while since i was breastfeeding, but now that i am done with that i look forward to starting to drink it again. only way to know for sure is to try it!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361568 - 10/20/10 08:09 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I love the chocolate yerba mate. I find that it does help my digestion as long as i am pretty stable. If I drink it when I am not feeling well to begin with, the caffeine in it will tend to bother me a little bit. I think its best not to have on an empty stomach but with breakfast or something.

#361577 - 10/21/10 07:08 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

OOOOOOOH never had chocolate, i'm gonna have to look for that!! i agree about not drinking on an empty stomach. i also have lots of peppermint and fennel tea throughout the day, that seems to balance everything out

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361581 - 10/21/10 08:28 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know the guy who owns Guyaki Yerba Mate and since he's alwasy touting the benefits, I tried some. It still worked like caffeine for me - it was far too stimulating to my gut, and I got crampy.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3637

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review