All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question: coconut...actually GOOD for your gut?
      #360686 - 08/30/10 11:54 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Okay, so I know that we are supposed to avoid shredded coconut and coconut milk. It's on the no-no list. High in fat and all that, and we need to stay away from it. I've been avoiding coconut, coconut milk, and coconut oil like the plague.

But...I've recently read in various places that coconut oil, and to a smaller degree shredded coconut, contains lauric acid, which is converted by the body to monolaurin, which acts like an anti-microbial in our guts. It seems that this helps the gut to perform properly, specifically for those with Crohn's and perhaps those who have IBS as well.

So I'm really confused. I've found conflicting info on the web concerning this. On the one hand, it sorta sounds intriguing. On the other hand, high fat foods are dangerous to our guts, and could be unhealthy in other ways in the long run.

I know, I know...don't believe everything you read on the interwebs. But then again...the interwebs is where I found this place.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question: coconut...actually GOOD for your gut? new
      #360688 - 08/31/10 05:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While many food are good for normal or non-IBS individuals many of these foods are not suitable for IBS suffers to eat because they exacerbate symptoms. Coconut like cereal bran is just another one of those foods. Also, there is little evidence to support the notion that IBS has a bacteria cause so it is questionable whether an antibacterial would be beneficial. Perhaps it is best to avoid or consume in moderation coconut oil until there is solid clinical evidence to show it is beneficial to individuals with IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#360701 - 08/31/10 04:00 PM
fairleas

Well, it was just an interesting little thing I found that I thought might generate discussion.

I mean, what's absolutely taboo for some people can be eaten by others...some people can tolerate a little dairy, some people can't even be in the same room with a glass of milk. Some people can't go near wheat. Wheat isn't a problem for others. There's just so many layers to the spectrum of gut disorders...IBS, IBD, Crohn's, colitis, Celiac disease, etc, etc, etc....and then each individual person within those layers, with their OWN layers of tolerance/intolerance...

Like I said, I've been avoiding anything with any sort of coconut in it like the plague for over a year now. And I REALLY miss coconut.

--------------------
my blog

#360703 - 08/31/10 04:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Oh - don't get me wrong. I use small amounts of light coconut milk (3% fat) in cooking frequently. Just follow the rule that oil/fat should make up no more than 20-25% of daily calories intake. And use saturated oils/fats (coconut oil) very sparingly.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

oh YUM new
      #360707 - 08/31/10 10:13 PM
fairleas

Quote:

Oh - don't get me wrong. I use small amounts of light coconut milk (3% fat) in cooking frequently. Just follow the rule that oil/fat should make up no more than 20-25% of daily calories intake. And use saturated oils/fats (coconut oil) very sparingly.

You've just given me hope for the future. A tiny bit is better than nothing!

--------------------
my blog

#361023 - 09/20/10 09:28 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

personally, i find i can eat coconut with no problem. i just don't go overboard with it-but i try not to do that with anything. i absolutely LOVE coconut and would never completely give it up anyways;)

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review