All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can fiber go bad?
      #35871 - 01/08/04 09:17 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I found a full bottle of Benefiber in my drawer, and while reading the back it said "Use within 6 months". Does fiber really go bad? Also on the bottom there was an expiration date that said 1/04. But isn't fiber just fiber? How would it change over time? Should I just throw it away?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can fiber go bad? new
      #35915 - 01/08/04 11:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Was the bottle unopened? You're right - fiber really can't go bad. It could absorb moisture or odors if it's been open for a while. And manufacturers list expiration dates on products as a safety precaution, whether the stuff will really and truly "expire" or not. If the bottle was sealed and kept in a place where it couldn't be absorbing nasty stuff (like a closet with chemicals or some such), I'd say you're just fine. The expiration date is only this month, so the stuff can't be that old.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Can fiber go bad? new
      #35923 - 01/08/04 12:26 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I'd opened it, but put the cap back on. I think I used it like once. But I don't think it would have absorbed anything. Hmmm.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 298 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5308

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review