All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Yawning and IBS Symptoms?
      #356997 - 03/25/10 08:36 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

Does anyone else seem to experience excessive yawning which seems to be tied to IBS-related digestive problems? I have not been diagnosed with IBS yet (I have an appt coming up to get checked), but do seem to exhibit all of the symptoms of IBS-C.

Recently, I have noticed excessive and abnormal yawning (about 2-3 times per minute for 20-30 min) which seems to be caused from foods that also seem to cause IBS-C related symptoms (gas, side pains, bloating, etc). Things that really hurt my supposed IBS-C, such as alcohol (beer especially) seem to bring on the yawning very rapidly...before I even finish an entire glass. Other times, it happens about 20-30 minutes after a meal. It seems to be worse when my symptoms are worse and does not seem to have anything to do with how tired I might be at the time. The yawning is definitely not what I would consider typical and my sleep patterns are fine and I do not feel tired.

Anyone else experience this?

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yawning and IBS Symptoms? new
      #357026 - 03/27/10 07:19 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

There is this book called the Treatment of Disease in TCM: Diseases of the Chest, Abdomen, and ribside. You can look it up on google books, there is a whole section about yawning from an eastern perspective.

#357027 - 03/27/10 08:25 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Here's some interesting reading from Wikipedia about yawning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawning

While this information doesn't specifically mention IBS, it does in other ways encourage our need for some fresh air and excercise to increase blood oxygen levels.

I find winter months to bring on the yawns and blahs. For some of us, this can also be a vitamin D deficiency from the lack of sunshine. I have to admit that I am definitely a 'solar energized' person.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#357028 - 03/27/10 08:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It likely isn't related to IBS. Check Excessive Yawning at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357032 - 03/27/10 09:50 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Syl,

While some studies are interesting and even helpful (if long-term studies over decades), my own body is my own best study in the end for me... and I believe this to be independently true for others. We all have different genetics and different lifestyles, past histories, current life stessors, etc.

Pharmaceutical companies and government sponsored studies are money makers for those who do them. These are not always reliable, and often are 'jigged'. I know, I worked for a pharmaceutic company for years as a Grants Administator and I'm sorry that I did simply to survive financially.

We all need exercise and fresh air, IBS or not. We need to consume foods that are not contaminated and of good quality.

I give you the space to go with clinical studies, though I encourage people to eat what is proven to be healthy and works for them, regardless of what clinical studies show for a handful of others involved in some study. Many subjects don't even accurately report their symptoms... just interested in getting paid to participate.

IBS is a very person thing, and none of us are the exact same. The best information is right here on Heather's boards, and it's not all about clinical trials outside of ourselves and involves the sharing of our personal life experiences when it comes to eating foods that work for us (though not perhaps for all who have added diagnoses).

This is a support group and not a government clinical trial foundation. Heather's posts on what has been found through some trials do provide great and useful information, while some of these other trials absolutely do not. They often only actually serve to confuse some, and particularly 'newbies'. More stess and confusion is the last thing they need in their lives.

Perhaps it would be best if you run some things by Heather first and see if she wants to post them on the IBS info board.

Yes, lack of oxygen can cause yawning, and yes lack of oxygen can affect bowel function just like it can all bodily organs, including our brains. This is in part why exercise is recommended for IBS and lots of other medical conditions.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

For heavens sakes .... new
      #357036 - 03/27/10 10:55 AM
Syl

what are you talking about now? There was no reference to a industry or government study in my previous posting. Or maybe you didn't read it? Or is that you just want to harp on about a subject you have posted about some time ago?

Do you remember Heather's comment on this very topic in a Dec posting ? Or do you even recall your posting on Horse sense versus nonsense?

Give it a break! It is getting rather boring!

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#357038 - 03/27/10 12:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you think a nervous tic like nonstop sneezing?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#357039 - 03/27/10 12:15 PM
Syl

Never heard of it. Do you know someone who has a nervous sneezing tic? Is there a relationship to yawning?

--------------------

#357042 - 03/27/10 01:11 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Minnie, I saw a girl on the news who had this. At first, they did not know what it was, then the follow-up said it was a tic. She just kept sneezing. If I remember the story correctly, she did stop when she slept. How awful for that poor kid.

#357043 - 03/27/10 01:14 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

There is so much we don't know about IBS, so who knows, there could be a connection.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review