All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone try vsl#3?
      #348484 - 07/27/09 02:46 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

My pharmacist said they could order it for me but I wanted to get some feedback first. Has anyone tried this probiotic? I have tried Align, Kyo-Dophilus and my pharmacist said to try Acidophilus. So which would anyone suggest I try first the vsl#3 or the acidophilus? Any advice or comments? I take Librium 25mg a day and Lomotil as needed and just started Konsyl fiber 1tsp at night. So far I feel more stable but would like to add a probiotic to that.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone try vsl#3? Please need some advice before I spend money new
      #348547 - 07/28/09 02:28 PM
mrae

Re: Anyone try vsl#3? new
      #348552 - 07/28/09 07:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I would go with VSL over acidophilus. It might cost more though. VSL was the one my GI doc recommended.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348564 - 07/28/09 09:21 PM
mrae

Did it help you at all?

#348578 - 07/29/09 11:20 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I only said he recommended it. I chose to take Align instead and it didn't help. I took it for three months.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348612 - 07/30/09 06:01 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I thought this contained the same ingredient as Align... if you tried Align, you'd think they would work the same....

#348616 - 07/30/09 09:49 PM
mrae

So did you try it and it not work for you? Align didn't seem to do much for me at all.

Re: Anyone try vsl#3? Please need some advice before I spend money new
      #348629 - 07/31/09 02:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

VSL#3 contains a variety of probiotics while Align only contains one. I have not seen any postings on the board from anyone who has taken VSL#3.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348635 - 07/31/09 09:43 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

What is VSL#3? I take it it is some strain of pro-biotic?

I have been taking numerous pro-biotics for an entire year and haven't felt much benefit. I currently take Align, Culturel, Garden of Life's "Primal Defense", Perma clear and Kyodopholus. I take all of these daily (usually).

#348637 - 08/01/09 12:32 AM
mrae

You take all those every day? I would think you would feel some relief but maybe they are just not going to work for you. I have tried Align, I have kyo-dophilus now so on to the next one but ready to give up on probiotics all together. Right now I take Librium and lomotil every day and I can actually go out and live normally so I think I will stick to that until it doesn't work anymore.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6606

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review