All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
desperate for answers
      #332299 - 07/12/08 03:55 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I ahve followed the IBS diet with good results but have stopped and now have trouble again (no surprise). My question is--I have been reading about salicylate sensitivity and IBS symptoms (and more) I am allergic to aspirin--peppermint is made of mthyl salicylate--is this safe for me? Im barley eating anything and afraid to at this point between having my IBS flare up or an allergic reaction. Please help.
Melissa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: desperate for answers new
      #332306 - 07/12/08 05:52 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I am confused about your fear. If you were having good results with the IBS diet get back on it but make sure that you start with the "when you can't eat anything else" diet. The aspirin sensitivity should not be a problem as long long as you don't take aspirin. What am I missing??

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#332310 - 07/12/08 06:38 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

See this page on salicylate sensitivity. It lists foods that are high and low in salicylates. Peppermint is very high. Most grains are very low, so the BTC foods should be safe.

Feel better!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#332330 - 07/12/08 11:42 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Fen -
You always give such good advice and are so knowledgeable... glad to know you are here....

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332331 - 07/12/08 11:46 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I think you are quite normal, my friend... Most people I know who have had adverse reactions to meds or foods tend to worry - me included. If I had taken all the different drugs prescribed to me, I'd be dead - because of reactions I know about, but drs. tend to forget. So, your question was a viable one and I'm glad Fen sent you the information you needed. I have to check every ingredient myself, so if it helps any at all, I understand. Prayer for feeling better soon. AND... don't go on a guilt trip, I dont' know anyone who hasn't gone off the diet - even Heather admits to the occasional "cheesecake"! Just go back to step one... Hugs!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332338 - 07/12/08 02:34 PM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

aspirin is mainly salicylates which I foudn out are in many foods. It is true that I did well following the IBS diet--but that is kind of a relative term--I still had migraines, joint problems, skin rashed etc. I guess the peppermint is my main question since I lived using the peppermint capsules, a tummy mint tea and altoids--peppermint contains high levels of salicylates. I've been sufferning with pain so much for four days because I dont want to use peppermint right now.
Melissa

#332339 - 07/12/08 03:03 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

OK. I didn't know that. Interesting. Don't use peppermint. While I usually have peppermint tea in the evening I don't think my IBS would act up without it. Otherwise I don't use peppermint at all. In fact, the peppermint caps give me incredible heart burn.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1946

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review