All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Frustrated with dry cereals at the store!
      #331957 - 07/03/08 10:19 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I LOVE eating dry cereal with vanilla rice milk. I have it for my afternoon snack every day. But I'm frustrated with what's available to me. I refuse to buy anything that contains HFCS, so that rules out stuff at the "regular" grocery store like Frosted Flakes or even Rice Krispies. I can't do oats, so that eliminates a bunch, too. Then I go to the HFS, and everything is WHOLE GRAIN, which I obviously can't do.

I'm not fructose-sensitive or anything, I just don't like buying stuff that has HFCS. This week I tried some whole grain buckwheat flakes, and that hasn't given me any problems, and they taste okay - just okay - I have to add quite a bit of sugar, which isn't good! So what cereals do you all buy? I want some Frosted Flakes, but I refuse to give in to the HFCS!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

wow new
      #331961 - 07/03/08 10:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Being you can't do whole wheat or oats that doesn't leave many options. Corn cereals would be the only normal alternative. Corn chex, honeycomb and organic corn flakes along with various sugary but not HFCS kids cereals with a corn base (like cap'n crunch).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Frustrated with dry cereals at the store! new
      #331963 - 07/03/08 10:39 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Nature's Path makes the Envirokidz cereals - there is one called Amazon Flakes which is like a less-sweet version of frosted flakes. The only ingredients are corn meal, evaporated cane juice, and sea salt. You can buy it at the HFS.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: wow new
      #331978 - 07/03/08 04:05 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

You should try Puffins Cereals, it is made by Barbara's Bakery. Also, Annie's makes some great cereals too that are perfect for us with IBS. Good luck and I hope you are able to find a new and tasty cereal!

Re: wow new
      #331989 - 07/04/08 05:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Which Puffin's cereal do you eat? Puffin's orginal and Puffin's cinnamon have corn bran and Puffin's honey rice is made from whole grain brown rice which makes them high in IF.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

this is what I'm talking about... new
      #331991 - 07/04/08 06:25 AM
Lisa Marie

Rice cereals at the HFS are almost always made from brown rice, which is IF, which can't be eaten on an empty stomach, right? I did buy some kind of brown rice flakes last weekend that I plan to try. Haven't done it yet, I'm a little nervous.... I tried Puffins one time, but didn't like them. I noticed the Annie's stuff, but they are all made of oats, which give me problems. Boy, do I miss honey nut cheerios....

Ugh!!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: this is what I'm talking about... new
      #331992 - 07/04/08 06:52 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Rice Chex doesn't contain HFCS I believe, but only the brand name, and only the new product (says gluten free on the box).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Rice is a SF..... new
      #332000 - 07/04/08 12:45 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

so rice and rice products can be consumed on an empty stomach. We like the Panda Puffs and Gorilla Puffs, they are vegan and gluten-free, made from corn I think. We also by a an amaranth flake cereal w/flax seed. I mix that in w/the puffs so that I don't get too much flax, but also get some bulk. HTH

Whole grain brown rice .... new
      #332003 - 07/04/08 01:41 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

contains the husk and the kernel. Like other whole grains it is considered to contain more IF than SF

A 1/2 cup brown rice contains about 1.6 grams IF and 0.2 grams SF while 1/2 cup white rice contains about 0.4 grams IF and 0.2 grams SF. Both contain about 2% or 1.3 grams of resistant starch which acts like an SF. Generally speaking brown rice contains a bit more IF than SF while white rice contains about 3 time more SF than IF.

I cannot eat food containing brown rice.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thank you, Fen! new
      #332089 - 07/07/08 02:10 PM
Lisa Marie

I'm eating these right now and they are yummy!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review