Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Irregular Eating Times - Please Help!
      #309019 - 06/13/07 07:51 PM
DawgBone88

Reged: 06/13/07
Loc: Duluth, GA

Hello everyone!
On May 10, just 10 days short of turning 45 I was diagnosed with IBS. In a way I was relieved in that I have a place to start to deal with problems I've had all my life, but especially in the last 6 months since I've had to miss several days of work. I've since also learned that I have at least one relative who also has been so diagnosed and probably more who could be. Anyway, my implementation of the IBS diet is evolving nicely. I've even accepted the challenge of modifying some of my traditional southern favorites to IBS guidelines. However, I've not been able to find any strategy for coping with eating at irregular times, even if I conform to IBS guidelines for cuisine. Last instance resulted in my reaching for the Hyoscapine and the previous attack resulted in my being sent home from my weekend job on the third volley of violent vomiting. If anyone out there has any ideas how I might cope with such circumstances in advance, please share. Thank you very much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Irregular Eating Times - Please Help! new
      #309020 - 06/13/07 07:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I find that keeping a reasonably regular timespan for eating makes more of a difference than actual regular mealtimes. Like... eating a little something every couple hours. Snacking is actually very important to the IBS diet - an empty stomach equals a vulnerable and touchy gut, and you want to avoid that. If you constantly have nibbles of food, it won't be nearly as big of a deal if dinner is 2 hours late or what-have-you.

#309058 - 06/14/07 02:45 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Is vomiting a typical symptom for you? If it is, you may want a second opinion because vomiting is not a typical symptom of IBS.

Welcome to the boards.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#309098 - 06/15/07 07:08 AM
DawgBone88

Vomiting has only become typical in the last several months, and then only as a consequence of abdominal pain. If you can imagine having your entire lower abdominal area sliced from the inside out with a Pizza Hut style rocker blade, only when the pain is that severe does the vomiting happen, and almost always after an oversized meal at a very irregular time. Much more typical over the last several years has been the alternating d & c, and even more typical is the gas and bloating, also associated with irregular eating times, at least seemingly. I used to get relief from these more intermediate symptoms by swimming with US Masters, but my company moved and I was unable to continue. All but the daily morning nausea has also been since I started my current primary job in 2000. That part has been there since childhood. My last major attack happened but a few hours after my last Pizza Hut pizza, which I thought I could handle in that I felt strong, I had had no problems with the pizzas I make for myself at home, and the Pizza Hut pizza I chose was on their supposedly new and improved hand-tossed crust which is supposedly less greasy by design, and I only got plain cheese, since I very typically respond well to dairy (but cannot tolerate red meat, go figure). My only concern was that the time of day was very irregular. It was noon, and I normally don't have a meal at noon since I am not allowed to have lunch during the day at my daytime job. Too many of my co-workers have been outraged that I always choose something high in SF and most offensive to these co-workers, devoid of red meat. However, but a few hours later, there was first severe nausea, then excessively painful gas, eventually resulting in three voleys of vomiting. I've since been reminded that Pizza Hut products are considered to be the most greasy in the industry, and that there is no way of knowing exactly what type or how much that company uses. I won't be eating there again.

#309120 - 06/15/07 12:21 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi DawgBone88 and welcome to the boards. I'm in Norcross, Ga and found this site 8/06. I am IBS-C, Pain predominate, and it has taken me since last August to become relatively "stable". Pain is not gone, but much less and BM's are fairly regular now. It has taken alot of trial & error. I did my fair share of cheating, but decided it just wasn't worth it in the long run. The hypnotherapy tapes have also helped. I am under a great deal of stress and they have helped me to relax some.
Read everything on the site outside the boards, and just make the commitment to take care of yourself.
Ask questions and seek help. We have all been where you are now.
Go Dawgs,

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#309149 - 06/15/07 04:57 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

A nix on Pizza Hut is a good choice, in my opinion. I have to wonder if you haven't possibly developed something else that has been causing your vomiting in the recent months. Though I know that sometimes enough pain can cause vomiting w/o something else being wrong, I think it's much safer to check it out with a doctor.

I have found that there are several triggers that I can often tolerate but occasionally can not. I avoid them all the time because I never know when that "occasionally" will happen.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#309268 - 06/18/07 05:13 AM
DawgBone88

Hey!
I'm in Norcross, GA. Was diagnosed on May 10 but have likely been IBS with a few quirks for sveral years. Have also recently learned that I have some family history of this. Didn't expect to see another citizen of the BullDawg nation here, but hearing from another Dawg is always welcome. It's of some consolation to know that I'm not alone, even among Dawgs. At least I'm not the only one who will never likely attend another tailgate party. And as always, ONCE A DAWG, ALWAYS A DAWG! HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!

Master of Music Education
Summer 1988

#309273 - 06/18/07 06:44 AM
DawgBone88

Hey!
Thanks for the tip. Previously when I knew I had to take a meal at an irregular time, I had been skipping the previous meal(s) leading up to the irregular meal, and in recent months came to expect the painful gas within a few hours and eventual vomiting from the pain. This time I had several small snacks (banana pudding for the first time in my life) and while I had some discomfort it wasn't enough to justify the hyoscamine and the pain passed in only several hours. Will add both your tip and banana pudding to my aresenal for coping with this thing.
Thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1200 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review