All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Typical IBS-D symptoms
      #307206 - 05/14/07 09:40 AM
mybellyhurts

Reged: 04/18/07

Hi,
I just wanted to share my typical symptoms with you ..the most common ones that i have gotten to know very well over the last decade.

1. Mornings. wake up and everything is fine. Take a shower, shave and still all is fine. Start to get dressed and feel a rumble. Continue to get dressed and feel a pain. The pain then rushes me to the bathroom to take D #1. Finish to get dressed and begin to make my lunch and feel a rumble. Continue to make my lunch and get a pain, proceed for D #2. Gather all of my stuff and put on jacket. Wait by the door for 5 minutes just IN CASE. Proceed to open the door and BAM, pain, proceed to take D #3.
A minimum of 3 D's in order to leave the house every morning from Monday to Friday.
EXCEPTION: Weekends.....as long as i do not have to leave the house, all is fine. the moment i have to leave the house, i go through a typical workweek morning maybe not as intense though.

2. The calm before the storm. Usually, i know that i will get an attack when i feel "too normal". When my guts feels really normal and good, i know that i will get an attack in a shor time.

3. Feeling of incomplete evacuation. I always feel like something is going on in my belly, gas , rumbling, spasms, and feeling like there is always something in there just waiting to come out.

4. Restaurants. 50% of the time i will get violent D soon afterwards, or even during.

5. Exhaustion. After violent D, i am so exhausted that i could barely function...it is SO draining.

6. STRESS/ ANXIETY. Business mettings, presentations, flights, long trips, etc...are all massive triggers for me, i will almost always get D prior to these events.

7. I feel/think, that my IBS is mostly due to stress/anxiety/depression. I have gone through peroids of 4 months at a time without having ANY symptoms, months where i was mentally fine. Also, at one point i was taking Paxil, an anti-depressant for 6 months and during that time i was completely normal.

I just wanted to share this and hope for any feedback.
Any comments and opionions are welcome.
thanks
MBH

Edited by mybellyhurts (05/14/07 09:49 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Typical IBS-D symptoms new
      #307244 - 05/14/07 04:39 PM
mybellyhurts

just wanted to know if anyone can relate to most, or some of these?

MBH

#307322 - 05/15/07 09:22 AM
mybellyhurts

Hmmm, now i am starting to worry. Doesn't anyone share ANY of these symptoms with me?
I thought that i was a Classic IBS-D case.

MBH

#307323 - 05/15/07 09:28 AM
Jaymi

Reged: 05/15/07
Loc: Sacramento, CA

You are not alone! I can totally relate to a lot of your symptoms and agree that it has to do with anxiety/stress/depression. I too wake up every morning feeling completely normal and usually get the stomach cramps as I'm blow drying my hair in the morning. I don't always have D though, most of the time it's just a pain that won't go away.

#307324 - 05/15/07 09:31 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, a lot of these symptoms are common to IBS-Ders. I've noticed that a lot of us tend to have attacks in the morning. Also, many (but not all) of the IBSers I know seem to have anxiety issues. However, I don't think IBS is directly caused by stress/anxiety, but stress (good and bad) can aggravate your symptoms.

If you go to the main site (click IBS Diet & Recipes to the left), you'll find a list of IBS symptoms and information about how stress/anxiety can make IBS worse. Also, (in case you haven't already) make sure you have all the necessary medical tests done in order to eliminate other illnesses that IBS can mimic.

HTH!

#307329 - 05/15/07 10:30 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I can relate to most of them...not really anymore...I am doing way better than I was two months ago..however when my IBS-D was in full flare up I was pretty much all of the things you listed except the restaurant one..that's cause I don't eat out AT ALL.

Right now even a "bad" day for me is 100 times better than it used to be...

Stress/anxiety is the hardest thing for me to work through..the hypnotherapy is working for that though

I do think we all need to remember that this doens't affect any two people the same, For me the minute I would wake up I would start to feel ill, I didn't have the buffer time some of you are talking about...

Remember to stay positive (always easier said than done)

Shannon ibs-d on the way to stablilizing

#307447 - 05/16/07 06:12 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I can relate to all of what you posted. That was me too but I would have more than three d attacks. It would keep going like that...a little while of feeling relief from going, and then suddenly, the pain, uneasiness, back pain, and d on the bowl, sweating and often feeling nauseous too. Then it would progress to me needing to lay down b/c my whole mid-section felt "beat up" and I'd have to curl in a ball.I would take immodium and after about 3 hours, the attack would finally subside but I would feel like I got hit by a bus. I would finally be able to eat LATER that day and then be fine b/c of the immodium....

Until the next attack....sooo I do hope that you are on the road to stabalizing. Giving up coffee and eating oatmeal with acacia mixed in became the first round of attack against my morning ibs and it was successful. I would still get anxiety induced cramps and some bms but they would be less urgent, more formed, and not last for hours, plus no keeling over on the couch. I completely empathise with anyone who has gone through this and I am always suggesting this site to people so it can save their lives too.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#307595 - 05/19/07 12:21 PM
steph61396

Reged: 05/19/07
Loc: Abington, PA

I can totally identify with your symptoms - you described my life too! I struggle with not being able to eat out because I wind up having D not long after eating out. When I know I have to go somewhere, I usually don't eat because I'm so afraid of the pain and D. It's also a struggle just getting to work in the morning.

I've been trying the acacia fiber for the past 2-3 weeks but I'm not sure how much to take. I've been taking 2 teaspoons every morning. Now I seem to be switching between C and D more frequently. I'm really frustrated and not sure what to do. My doctor has now put me on Lexapro to help with the anxiety issues that seem to trigger my IBS even more. Hopefully that will help as well.

I understand what you're going through - you're not alone!

Steph61396

--------------------
Steph
IBS-D, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1420

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review