All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What kind of chocolate is IBS safe?
      #306761 - 05/07/07 06:32 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

seems like whenever i eat dark chocolate it makes my C worse - is it because it cannot be digested by people with IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What kind of chocolate is IBS safe? new
      #306765 - 05/07/07 07:11 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Go to the recipe board and try Heather's Peppermint Fudge Cake. It is so chocolatey, you'll never miss chocolate again.
Cocoa powder when baked safely with other safe ingredients is well, usually extremely tolerable. Not to mention delicious.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#306784 - 05/08/07 05:05 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I think dark chocolate is constipating even for "normal" people. I agree with Yoda, try the peppermint fudge cake. It can also be varied cutting out the peppermint to make a regular chocolate cake and you can try using fresh orange juice instead of water in the frosting to make an orange chocolate cake et.c. I make it all the time. Yummy!!!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#306786 - 05/08/07 05:31 AM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I use 100% dairy and gluten free (vegan)chocolate chips - the brand is called Tropical Source by Sunspire. I get them in the natural foods section of the grocery store. When I need a chocolate fix, I mix them with soluable fiber, such as oatmeal or quick breads just to be safe. I am IBS-D, and they don't seem to bother me. I'm quite a chocoholic, and these don't taste funny at all!

Good Luck!

#306789 - 05/08/07 06:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I think dark chocolate is constipating even for "normal" people.

Actually, I crave chocolate when I'm constipated - the fat and all tend to make me go!

Note that cocoa is IBS-safe, but chocolate is borderline for the fat content. You can have chocolate, but make sure that it's a small amount after a low-fat meal. And, of course, make sure that there's no dairy in the chocolate!

--AC, IBS-C and chocolate lover

#306795 - 05/08/07 08:42 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hihihi... Well maybe it works differently for "normal" people. All I have heard from my "normal" friends and family is how constipating dark chocolate is...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#306805 - 05/08/07 10:25 AM
CMW

Reged: 04/24/07
Loc: VT

My treat at night, especially when I know I shouldn't eat any more but am still hungry is hot cocoa with marshmellows. It feels like I'm cheating but I'm not! It also helps get some more calories in me as I am having problems keeping on weight.

Non dairy chocolate? new
      #306816 - 05/08/07 01:57 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What are some examples. I thought all chocolate had cocoa butter, which is dairy, right?

Any chocolate candy that is "safe" in small amounts?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Cocoa butter is not diary new
      #306817 - 05/08/07 02:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Cocoa butter is the edible natural fat of the cacao bean extracted during the process of making chocolate and cocoa powder

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I eat it all the time but... new
      #306819 - 05/08/07 02:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

even dairy free chocolate isn't really safe. It leads to pain for me quite often and the caffeine is bothersome. I made a mousse (more like french silk pie) from tofu, chocolate and graham tartlets on Saturday and then I couldn't sleep and my tummy hurt some. I don't care how much it hurts because at times I just must have dark chocolate. It is better to have cocoa powder sourced treats like baked goods and soy ice cream or soy milk.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13928

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review