All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I got tested for food intolerances and...
      #298007 - 01/25/07 07:06 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

So i did the vega testing for food intolerances and it turned up some interesting things, luckily it says i am not sensitive to much at all, that of course doesn't mean that i don't have trouble digesting certain things like apples and lettuces, but that i do not have a sensitivity to the food itself. anyways, it says that i am sensitive to tomatoes (apparently very common), cinnamon, who woulda thought and alllllllll and i mean allllll forms of dairy, that i already knew for a long time. it also said that organ wise my stomach and intestines are weak and so is my liver meridian, knew that one already too, so i was impressed that it picked up on the things that si already knew, so i have a bit more confidence in than i did. later this week i go back to finish testing for allergies and vit/mineral deficiencies and then we discuss the plan of action, if any. in the mean time no tomatoes or cinnamon for me, booooo i had just started eating them again this year, its in so many good dishes. back to red pepper and beet/carrot sauces.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I got tested for food intolerances and... new
      #298102 - 01/25/07 06:59 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Cool that you got tested... sorry for the tomato part, I love them too. And cinnamon. Do they mean even small amounts of it?

In general, good to know those things for sure

#298133 - 01/26/07 06:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Were the tests done through a GP or were they done by a naturopathic doctor? Was it the standard skin test for allergies? Thanks.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#298144 - 01/26/07 09:14 AM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

just a question, who do you go to for this kind of testing? I have an allergist who deals with my asthma, would he be the one to ask?

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

#298151 - 01/26/07 11:28 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

of course doesn't mean that i don't have trouble digesting certain things like apples

Wouldn't the test show that you do have problems with apples if you do, then? I just don't understand how a test can be trusted if it doesn't pinpoint your food intolerances.

I realy want to get a York intolerance test, but this is what I'm afraid of. It won't show an intolerance to a food that really may be an intolerance.

Since you have a problem with tomatoes, do you have to avoid oranges and other citrus foods? How about other foods in the tomato family? Aren't eggplant and potatoes in that family?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#298190 - 01/26/07 04:29 PM

Unregistered

I had a food panel allergy test. It tested for a hundred or so most common foods. Any allergy doctor should be able to do it. Mine was a blood test. Unfortunately for me it did not find any allergies. so the mystery continues. but I DO wonder how many IBS sufferers just have a simple food allergy(s). go get tested, I say.

#298213 - 01/26/07 09:56 PM
Miso

to jordy: a true food intolerance is different from trouble digesting in the sense that the reason that i don't digest apples well, is not that i am sensitive to them as a food, as in its genetics, but as a material, as in the fiber structure and peel (apples are actually notoriously difficult to digest, as are green peppers and of course we all know cabbages. NO i am not sensitive to citrus, and yes eggplants, peppers and potatoes are also in the nightshade family, but those are fine, thankfully cuz i use red peppers in place of tomatoes in most recipes.

To the others:
I got tested using a VEGA test machine, I will be having the allergist panel test in a few months, however this will be tetsing for allergies and not sensitivities, again two different things.

The idea about finding out i am not tolerant to tomatoes and cinnamon is the same as with the dairy, i can eat it, i won't die, but it will make me feel icky in different ways and often not even the same day sometimes. It seems tomatoes make me break out on my face (just pimples, not a rash) so i just figured it was hormone or something.

VEGA Test new
      #298228 - 01/27/07 05:12 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Jeremic, G. and Leung, W. (2004) " VEGAtest: Diagnostic Champion or Quack Device? ", University of Toronto Medical Journal, vol 81, number 2, March

Quote:

Conclusions
VEGA testing is a technological technique of diagnosis with little scientific basis and such technology has been banned in both the United States and Canada. Nonetheless, it proposes to be useful in assessing a large range of conditions from allergies to cancer. Patients with ill-defined symptoms should approach such diagnostic methods with caution since there is a strong chance that the testing could lead to spurious diagnoses and/or appropriate or delayed treatment.

Position statement of the Medical Journal of Australia on Vega testing in the diagnosis of allergic conditions

Quote:

Vega testing (the Vega test method) is an unorthodox method of diagnosing allergic and other diseases. It has no established scientific basis and there are no controlled trials to support its usefulness. Vega testing may lead to inappropriate treatment and expense to the patient and community.

Quack "Electrodiagnostic" Devices
Quote:

The devices described in this article are used to diagnose nonexistent health problems, select inappropriate treatment, and defraud insurance companies. The practitioners who use them are either delusional, dishonest, or both. These devices should be confiscated and the practitioners who use them should be prosecuted. If you encounter any such device, please report it to the state attorney general, any relevant licensing board, the FDA, the FTC, the FBI, the National Fraud Information Center, and any insurance company to which the practitioner submits claims that involve use of the device.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#298235 - 01/27/07 07:22 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

But red peppers cause GERD and indigestion in many. How is this vega test performed and who does it? Let us know how they do the test for your food intolerences that cause your IBS. Are you D or C?

Re: VEGA Test new
      #298246 - 01/27/07 08:43 AM
Miso

while all of that is valid syl, and at first i was against it, i have heard of friends having good results and the naturopath i see offers both the blood panel test and the vega, i went for the vega as it is 5 times cheaper and figured i'd see what comes up as my insurance covers it. I always knew that tomatoes were generally a problem for me, so it hit that one straight on, and same with dairy and artificial sugars, so it got all the ones i knew, so it can't be too horribly far off. anyways, its not much of a big deal to go back and avoid tomatoes generally and cut out cinnamon, so its not like its going to make me avoid getting my nutrition. It also pickes up on the one thing that every natural doctor i have seen has said whihc is that my liver meridian is weak/blocked, so it was on for that too. as i said in my other post i will be having my test done the regular way soon by an actual allergist, so i am covering my bases.
Basically it all comes down to you anyways, as the allergist test gets allergies but not delayed action sensitivities, the vega gives sensitivities and the york test shows antibodies, but that doesn't mean that their presence is necessarily a bad thing for you, not always indication an intolerance.
So really its all down to how you feel your body does with things, and yes its cheaper to just do the elimination diets and journals, but if you are curious these other methods are intresting and can give you alternate insights.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 428 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2501

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review