All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Which Kinds of Sushi Are IBS Safe?
      #288936 - 11/03/06 05:23 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I like to go and eat Sushi at restaraunts.
Many times when I buy it at grocery stores, they list ingredients, so I know what to avoid.
I also know obviously ones like the Philadelphia roll with cream cheese are a no.

However, a lot of Sushi at restaraunts I do not know what they contain.
Most times this means do not eat, but Sushi not only tastes good, it normally is a good IBS food with rice and lean meat.

The problem is sometimes they might contain milk or mayonnaise.
For instance some California rolls have a lot of mayonnaise, some tuna rolls have mayonnaise and milk, a lot do not.

I have a list of different types of sushi and I wanted to know which ones are good to eat and also, when at a buffet, how to be able to tell or distinguish between safe and unsafe.
It is vague if sometimes a California Roll or Tuna Roll is safe, and you do not want to be asking the restaraunt about 25 different kinds.
Thanks.

Nigiri Sushi

Albacore
Anago
Avocado
Bell Pepper
Ebi (Shrimp)
Hamachi
Jokkigai
Ika
Inari
Izumidai
Maguro
Saba
Sake
Salmon Skin
Tako
Tamago
Torigai
Unagi

Roll

BLTA
California Roll
Caterpillar
Chicken
Dragon Roll
Futomaki
Garlic
Grilled Salmon
Hosomaki
Mix Fish
Negihama
Philadelphia
Rainbow
Salmon Skin
Spicy Tuna
Spider Roll
Tempura Shrimp
Unagi
Vegetable

Gunkan

Grilled Salmon
Ikura
Masago
Mayonaise Shrimp
Salmon Salad
Seafood Dynamite
Seaweed
Shitake
Spicy Octopus
Spicy Scallop
Spicy Shrimp
Tako Salad
Tuna Salad
Uni

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Which Kinds of Sushi Are IBS Safe? new
      #288937 - 11/03/06 05:29 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

What do I need to look for or do to ensure I can eat safely and enjoy?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Which Kinds of Sushi Are IBS Safe? new
      #288940 - 11/03/06 05:34 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I can't really help you on sushi since I don't eat it. However, when it comes to eating out I have a list of "safe" restaurants where I know I can find a meal that won't make me sick. If I'm out of town or planning to go to a new restaurant, I will call ahead during a slow part of the day and ask my questions. If they are grouchy with me about answering, I usually just don't go there.

Re: Which Kinds of Sushi Are IBS Safe? Julie new
      #288942 - 11/03/06 05:36 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

What possible questions do you ask the restaraunts? Im curious.

Re: Restaurant Questions new
      #288943 - 11/03/06 05:43 PM
Julie E

Well, it really depends on the restaurant...

If it's just a standard place where I might get grilled chicken, I'll ask if they serve PLAIN grilled chicken. What kind of seasonings do you put on it? Can you prepare it with no oil or butter for me? What side items do you have? (Here I'm listening for something like steamed veggies, baked potato, etc.) Can I make special requests when I order? Also, if there's a particular dish I'm interested in, I might ask what the ingredients are, etc. I might also ask if they use MSG or what type of fat they cook in (lard, oil, etc).

Of course I don't ask ALL these questions every time. It really does depends on what type of restaurant it is, but this will give me an idea of how they prepare their foods, as well as how accomodating they are to their customers. I like to know that BEFORE I'm sitting at the table with friends...

#288944 - 11/03/06 05:47 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Isnt it a sin what we have to go thru to enjoy life?? I cant stand it. I would take immodium everytime I go out but I hate taking meds if not needed. I guess I am at the point where I have to prepare in advance if I want to go out with friends. My poor hubby has been stuck with me for a few months now while our friends are out feasting. Thanks

#289011 - 11/04/06 02:02 PM
Julie E

I don't know... I don't mind calling places ahead of time, but I do hate going through it when I'm sitting at the table wanting to order. I really try to keep track of which places have safe foods so I can always have a good restaurant suggestion in mind if friends suggest a dinner out.

I know that there are 2 Mexican restaurants where I can safely eat chicken fajites... others, though, make me sick. So if friends want to go out for Mexican, I ask if they'd prefer to go to Safe place 1 or Safe place 2. Or if they want Italian, we go to Olive Garden where I always have a safe dish I order.

I think once you figure out where you can go and what you can eat it takes away a lot of the stress of going out. I still get a little anxious about trying new places, but that's why I don't mind making the phone calls ahead of time to do my research.

In general, most sushi is safe... new
      #289171 - 11/06/06 04:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it all has a basis of white rice, and the only other things you're getting are seafood and maybe some thinly sliced veggies. You do want to watch out for tempura rolls, or rolls that have cream cheese, or are deep fried, or have deep fried items within them. Sometimes California rolls are made with a lot of mayo, so you might ask about that.

Otherwise, sushi tends to be a very safe bet.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 310 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8141

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review