All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Modified Milk ingredients
      #287562 - 10/23/06 11:24 AM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Does anyone know what a modified milk ingredient is?? I have been seeing it everywhere on things that you wouldn't expect to find dairy in such as dill pickle flavoured crispy minis. It has also shown up in Quaker oatmeal and so now I am afraid to eat it and I can't find any instant oatmeal without "modified milk ingredients" . Will it bother us?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Modified Milk ingredients new
      #287564 - 10/23/06 12:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I see you are a Canuck like me.
Modified milk ingredients are defined as "Any of the following in liquid, concentrated, dry, frozen or reconstituted form, namely, calcium-reduced skimmilk (obtained by the ion-exchange process), casein, caseinates, cultured milk products, milk serum proteins, ultrafiltered milk, whey, whey butter, whey cream and any other component of milk the chemical state of which has been altered from that in which it is found in milk modified milk ingredients"

If you are sensitive to whey or casein that can cause problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#287594 - 10/23/06 02:35 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

You can use the regular oatmeal, that is only made of rolled oats.

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/quakerOats/product.cfm?productid=1

I use this and don't have any problems with it, I add some jam or cocoa and sometimes some marshmallows, mmm

Also, the Regular Instant Oatmeal, and the Apples and Cinammon flavored don't seem to have that component. I can see that the "Some-fruit and cream" variety would cause trouble because they have, well, cream (cassein, whey), but I don't think the rest of the flavors would

Did you mean they have the "modified milk ingredients"? I couln't find that particular phrase on quaker's website

Jerry, IBS-C

#287604 - 10/23/06 03:29 PM
craftymeg

I am also a proud Canuck. Thanks, Syl for the thorough definition. I know some products have a small amount as it is far down the list which I don't believe would bother me but I will try to avoid them. No use tempting fate

#287606 - 10/23/06 03:33 PM
craftymeg

Thanks for the idea of adding cocoa to my oatmeal. I will try that tomorrow morning!! It's brilliant and seems so cozy on a winter morning like hot chocolate. I noticed on the maple and brown sugar packets that they state there are milk ingredients in the oatmeal. Which they didn't use to have in there. I don't have the ingredient list in front of me but that was what I noticed.

#287608 - 10/23/06 04:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yea milk products is a really dilemma for me. I know for sure I have problems with lactose. I can prove it to myself simply by eating cottage cheese:) If use Lataid and take lactase I seem to be able to handle dairy products.

I have been looking in the research literature for evidence that whey and casein can produce IBS type symptoms. I have not found any yet. I have found evidence that some as yet unidentified components in cow's milk can cause IBS symptoms in some people. I guess like other IBS triggers it depends on the individual

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review