All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spaghetti sauce?
      #285965 - 10/10/06 06:26 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, Can anyone tell me if tomatoe spaghetti sauce is usually IBS safe or how to make a IBS safe one from scratch. My old recipe was just simmering canned tomatoes, adding tomatoe paste and some italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil. Does it sound okay? I really miss spaghetti with tomatoe sauce........thanks, Debbie IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spaghetti sauce? new
      #285970 - 10/10/06 06:35 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

most people do ok with tomato sauce i think, i on the other hand can eat so many thing sthat others cannot, but tomatoes that are cooked always bug me, so i make a carrot beet sauce that you can find poste din th erecipe board, it tastes just like tomato sauce with more sweetness, what i do is i use a basic tomato sauce recipe and just replace the amount of tomatoes with canned or rosted carrots and the amount of tomato paste with canned or roated beets. or just use the 2:1 carrots to beets canned ratio and add spices and go.Pesto from scratch is also super easy and yummy, we ibs folk just don't add the cheese that pesto usually calls for.

#285978 - 10/10/06 07:01 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well, tomatoes from a can usually are waay too acidic. Not only because they are cooked tomatoes, but check the ingredients, they always put ascorbic acid too (and sometimes they put other crap in too )

I can only tolerate them if they are in small quantities. Generally that means that I can't eat pasta with that kind of sauce, because I prefer it with more sauce and... it's too concentrated for my guts to be OK with.

However (!) why don't you try... maybe you will tolerate it. I also have gastritis so that might be adding to the discomfort acidic foods are causing for me and might have a lot to do with why I can't tolerate them.

Jerry, IBS-C

#286001 - 10/11/06 02:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I would do fine with your spaghetti sauce - cooked tomatoes have never bothered me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#286076 - 10/11/06 04:23 PM
Strixowl

Reged: 05/26/06

The only tomato I can eat without "Loads" of trouble is Amy's Mariara sauce found in Natural Food Stores and some regular grocery stores.

Re: Amy's Sauce is awesome!! new
      #286580 - 10/15/06 06:38 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I agree! Amy's sauce is the best ever!! I love Amy's Family Marinara sauce better than any spaghetti sauce I've ever had! I was so shocked to find such a delicious sauce in a safe version. I tried the Low Sodium Marinara first because it was lower in fat, but it was too chunky and really didn't have much flavor. The Family Marinara is absolutely delicious, and I drive all the way across town just to buy it! I haven't tried the Tomato Basic variety, but it's higher in fat and I love the Family Marinara so much that I don't even care to try another one.

When I make spaghetti, I cook the sauce with tofu. I dice the tofu into very small cubes, press it for about 15-20 minutes to drain (after squeezing out excess water, put tofu cubes between two paper towel-covered cutting boards and put something heavy like a sack of potatoes on top). Then you just throw it into a pot with the jar of sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes. I serve it with lots of pasta and french bread. It is really, really delicious, and my red-meat-and-fat-food-loving husband is crazy about it, too! YUM!! :-)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review