All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What do you order at a Mexican restaurant?
      #285446 - 10/06/06 01:15 PM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

Hi~

Going out to eat tonight at a Mexican restuarant...what are good choices? Is a *little* sour cream OK? I love the stuff!! I do fine w/ a little bit of cheese, FYI.

Thanks a bunch!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you order at a Mexican restaurant? new
      #285449 - 10/06/06 01:38 PM
Smiling Strange

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Mexican resturants can be really tricky. I am very sensitive to fat and dairy, so you may not have as hard of a time as I do. I have, however, had success with fajitas. I fill them with combination of a salsa, chicken breast strips (or tofu, if that is offered at the resturant), rice, beans, and a small amount of avacado/guacamole, lettuce, or bell peppers. Everyone has different restrictions so maybe there will be more options for you! Good luck!

#285454 - 10/06/06 02:25 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Mexican is so hard for me. First, I can't resist the chips. Then most of the stuff that would be supposedly okay (chicken, fish, beans, rice) is often so loaded with fat that it renders the dish unsafe. Soft tacos with either grilled fish or chicken, plain boiled beans - add salsa, a squeeze of lemon or lime - tortilla soup. If there is a grilled fish and you ask for it to be prepared with as little fat as possible, same with the fajitas, that would be safe. Unfortunately I love the gooey enchiladas and chile rellenos and don't always make good choices. Sigh. Sometimes I do okay if I just limit the amount I eat. Enjoy your dinner.

#285476 - 10/06/06 04:31 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

I KNOW this sounds crazy - but I bring alot of my own white rice to many restaurants (of course not chinese)...or a potato with me. Then its easy. Mexican, get some flour tortillas...salsa...as for beans/not refried but real beans and there ya'go. Anyplace else, order a baked potato - and build around it. Its what I do with every meal. My SF food and then "build" around it. You'd be surprised how easy this makes going just about anywhere.

#285517 - 10/06/06 11:24 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I LOVE chicken fajitas. I order them with a little shredded cheese on the side (I can have a tiny bit, too, without causing a flare-up) and rice. I ask them not to give me the sour cream, guacamole, or refried beans that normally come on the side. I eat this probably 1-2 times a month with no problem.

HOWEVER... there are 2 restaurants I always go to. I have tried several others, and have gotten really bad D from eating the exact same things. Unfortunately, each restaurant is different, and Mexican food is notoriously high in fat. If you can find a good restaurant whose food is not totally greasy, you may be able to eat this, too.

One more thing... if you can't resist the chips, try bringing your own baked tostitos. I can eat 2-3 of the regular chips with no problem, but I'd rather have the safe chips so I can eat more!

Hope you had a good dinner tonight!

#285556 - 10/07/06 09:05 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Chicken fajitas are about the only thing I can eat in a Mexican *restaurant* these days. Maybe a spoonful or two of refried beans. I even have to avoid the Mexican rice 'cause I discovered tomatoes give me D.

At home I go to town on the Mexican flavors, though.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#285569 - 10/07/06 11:04 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Smiling Strange, you just gave my order verbatim! I always do well with the fajitas, I think because you can add your own toppings in whatever proportions you want. If it's just a little taqueria or burrito joint, though, I'll get a veggie taco with rice and black beans, a little bit of lettuce, salsa, and guacamole. Chicken and fish tacos are usually ok too, but watch out for how they're prepared...sometimes they're really greasy and fried, or even battered and deep-fried(the worst!). You can also try a burrito with black beans, rice, and veggies and/or chicken...just ask for no sour cream or cheese.

Anyway, Mexican is totally do-able...good luck!

--------------------
Julia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2135

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review