All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lexapro & IBS - good combination????
      #283269 - 09/20/06 03:43 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

My doctor just gave me samples of Lexapro and said it "might irritate your IBS and give you diarrhea". Has anyone had any experience with this?

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lexapro & IBS - good combination???? new
      #283283 - 09/20/06 05:16 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I took Lexapro for about 9 months along with my IBS-D. The doctor said that some medicines for depression/anxiety can cause the IBS to either get better or worse, depending on the person. Research shows that for some reason some SSRIs help the gut. I original was prescribed Paxil which within hours gave me major cramps and by morning I had D all day really bad. Then I called and the doc switched me to Lexapro and I was fine on it (low dose...I think 5 mg?)I went on it for the anxiety over the IBS, some mild depression and some panic attacks. I have been off of it now for about 4 months and I can't really say whether the IBS has gotten worse or better...I think the same. There's so many variables (stress,etc.) so it's so hard to say with this stupid disease!! Anyhow, I would give it a try and try to keep your diet intact so you know whether any problems are related to the Lexapro. Good luck

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Yes and no new
      #283288 - 09/20/06 05:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

For the first 3 days, it gave me horrible D. However, that completely went away afterwards, and if anything, it's HELPED my IBS immeasurably. I've been on it for 2 years now, and I'll give it up when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

All antidepressants have initial side effects, as your body is getting used to them. These can last anywhere from a few days to a couple months, and can be as mild as a little drowsiness, or as bad as D episodes. They're temporary. The benefits of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications (I'm not sure which you were given Lexapro for), for those who need them, are WELL worth the inconvenience in the beginning.

#283296 - 09/20/06 06:19 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the only trouble the lexapro gave me was mild nausea for the forst 2 weeks, thats a bout it, for me ssri's have always helped my stomach by helping with stress and anxiety and just thinking about it way less, i am very happy on the lexapro and am finally able to function and start to gain some weight because i am no longer so obsessed with my tummy. goo dluck.

#283396 - 09/21/06 09:46 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Thanks for all the replies about Lexapro & IBS. I just started my first dose this morning (5 mg) and stay on that for 4 days, then up it to 10 mg. Dr. also gave me Mirtazapine (1/4 tablet) to help me sleep. I'm not supposed to try that until Friday night to see how my body reacts to it. And only to take it when I need it, not on a regular basis. Stress & anxiety are the main reasons my Dr. prescribed the Lexapro. My father-in-law just moved in 2 weeks ago, along with already having 3 teenagers (2 with driving permits) who are involved in various activities. Then I teach at 2 elementary schools and the schedule is confusing, if not nervewracking! I was just feeling overwhelmed with everything and it's making my IBS alot worse. I was pretty stable all summer (diagnosed in April) and had been doing pretty good, but in the last 2 weeks, things have constantly gotten worse and I feel like I did in April when I got so sick. I'm trying not to let that happen, but it feels like its out of control. I took a sick day today (my planning day - no classes), in hopes that I'll feel better tomorrow when I have students again.

Thanks for your responses. It makes me feel alot better knowing there are others out there who are going through the same stuff I am. Thanks for listening!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#372218 - 07/16/15 01:27 PM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

The doctor put me on lexapro 10 mgs for depression and anxiety and it caused, after a week, the IBS to worsen like it hasn't in years. How painful it is when I eat! Now I'm having to nurse my intestines back to health with probiotics and enzymes. It will take a while as I seldom heal quickly from these sort of episodes.

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

#372223 - 07/16/15 09:45 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

I am so sorry to learn of this David!

These doctors just DON'T give a damn WHAT they throw at us!

I would report that so-called doctor to the hospital, clinic and medical licensing people PRONTO!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#372228 - 07/17/15 01:31 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drugreview-63990-Lexapro+oral.aspx?drugid=63990&drugname=Lexapro+oral&sortby=3

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1804 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review