All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is a heating pad safe to use all night while sleeping? and ...????
      #282138 - 09/13/06 08:37 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

I would like to sleep with the heating pad on b/c I been in pain, cramps, spasms all day. I had very hard stools this morning. I wasn't able to eat dinner(pain is too much) tonight and I'm planning to take some MOM at bed time. I'm still trying to figure out what is the cause for my hard/dry stool. My stool is always soft and loose. I do get incomplete evacuation, but is never hard/dry stool. Can taking Beano or Slippery elm daily cause this? I also been eating lots of red kidney beans for a while, but not sure if that could be the cause, Do you think? I do eat a high IF breakfast, lots of water, flax seeds and magnesium supplement.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause and a way to prevent it??? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is a heating pad safe to use all night while sleeping? and ...???? new
      #282155 - 09/14/06 04:31 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Abi,

I have a heating pad that I warm up in the microwave. I put it on my stomach when I go to bed every night. It's quite relaxing. It doesn't stay warm all night...just for a little bit...long enough for me to fall alseep.

As far as hard stools, sometimes it just happens for no reason. Try not to worry too much about it. Give it a few days. Sometimes it seems like things vary so much from day to day even when I eat the same things. Try not to stress yourself out trying to figure out the cause...there may or may not be one. But worrying about it will make things worse. Just try to relax and wait it out. I know it's not fun, trust me. But you just have to give it time. And sometimes getting too much IF can do that. Sometimes I have to lay off a bit to let things settle down. Maybe try a little more SF to relax your tummy.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#282188 - 09/14/06 07:44 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've always been told never to fall asleep with a heating pad on. However, I'll have to admit that I do -- but mine automatically shuts off after 15 minutes or so. If yours stays hot for awhile, don't do it -- you can burn yourself before your brain realizes it and wakes you up. I think there are some that you can microwave that are safe to take to bed because they cool off relatively quickly, kinda like a hot water bottle. All in all it's still not very safe to fall asleep with a hot object close to your body.

As far as the hard/dry stool -- this has happened to me when I'm not getting enough fluids and/or take too much of a med that causes C. Didn't you say you started the slippery elm fairly recently? You might not have upped your water intake enough to compensate, even if you're drinking lots of water right now. You can always back off on the slippery elm to see if it helps.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#282189 - 09/14/06 07:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've been sleeping with my heating pad on its low setting all night for years. Is it safe, well, I've never burnt down the house or anything! I do have some permanent scars, like brown marks, on my tummy from the constant heat but they don't hurt t all.

If you are having hard stools on a regular basis, you may bot be getting enough water. The other thing to try would be some over the counter colace stool softeners.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1617

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review