All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Effexor XR
      #276398 - 07/31/06 08:06 AM
DancingNancy

Reged: 05/24/06
Loc: Scranton,PA

I just started on Effexor XR 150 mg last week for depression/anxiety. Will this help my IBS at all?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Effexor XR new
      #276443 - 07/31/06 12:10 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hi Nancy,

I am on 75 mg and it has really helped with my IBS. Anxiety has always made my IBS worse and sometimes it has even been the sole cause of me having an attack. So, keeping my anxiety under control has really helped in controlling my IBS symptoms. So long as I stick to the diet strictly and my meds, I am great about 95% of the time. Hope it works for you, too!

#277017 - 08/03/06 04:27 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Hi there, that's interesting that you asked. I've been on and off Effexor XR for several years and except for when I was forced to go off of it cold turkey, it's one of the best meds - my previous PCP (when I had real health insurance) loved the stuff, too because it had such a small amount of side-effects, except for the withdrawal, of course) My last psychiatrist didn't like the stuff and wanted me weaned off of it (again when I had real health insurance). Now my Value Options psychiatrist actually told me at my appt a few days ago that Effexor can help with my IBS a bit. This is just my personal experience I'm relating to you, but I *never* noticed a worsening of my IBS while taking the highest dose of Effexor XR. I'm being put back on 75mg to start again. My body is trying to get used to it again, so I'm a bit shaky, but am also on Risperdal, to, Valium, and Depakote ER. That doesn't include the other meds I'm taking. I wish I'd had more time to ask my new psychiatrist how Effexor XR helps IBS, but we ran out of time. My guess is b/c of Effexor XR's affect on anxiety, stress, mood disorders, and other chemical imbalances in the brain. I don't know, it's just kind of an educated guess though. But anxiety and depression affect our bodies and also our digestion. Maybe talk to your doc about it? And, I hope I'm not getting too personal here, but is the Effexor helping your anxiety and depression? I know for me, it was the only psychiatric drug that lessened the mood swings. I still had them often, but they weren't as often and not so severe. My panic attacks were a bit less severe when they occurred, too. I hope I didn't offend you by prying. Good luck, I hope you feel better. I know what anxiety and depression are like - they are just as debilitating as IBS and they can both cause a vicious circle.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#277069 - 08/04/06 07:16 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I found that was the ONLY SSRI that I've taken that helped my IBS. It even made it disappear quickly. Let's hope it works for you, too!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#277084 - 08/04/06 08:46 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I notice some of you are IBS-C, and others are IBS-D. Do certain ADs work better than others for the two different types? I posted another question on this board regarding Lexapro, which seems to be popular on this board too. I'm currently taking Prozac, but I'm not liking the side effects, especially the sexual ones. Would any of you mind commenting on how Effexor (or other ADs) are with respect to that? My main problems are depression and stress. I have my fist appointment with a counselor on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#277186 - 08/04/06 02:27 PM
AmandaM

I wasn't clear as to whether you wanted input on Effexor and IBS-C or Effexor's side effects.

I have IBS-D, so I can't vouch for how it works on IBS-C. Regarding side effects, the first few days were the only ones where I experienced any side effects. I was unable to sleep a full 8 hours the first couple of nights and I think I had dry mouth and some slight feelings of dizziness and fatigue. Other than that, I have never had any problems. No sexual side effects, no weight gain, no headaches, drowsiness, upset stomach etc.

I am on 75mg by the way.

I guess I should add, though, that all ADs affect each individual in different ways. So just because I haven't had problems doesn't mean you won't. I'm sure being an AD veteran yourself, you know that. However, I think Effexor is worth a shot. Good luck!

Edited by AmandaM (08/04/06 02:28 PM)

Re: Effexor XR - sorry long reply new
      #278173 - 08/13/06 10:16 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

As an IBC-C sufferer and a hardcore fan of Effexor XR, I can tell you only from my personal experience about its affects on my libido and other things. First of all, most of my docs support me taking the Effexor XR, not only for my mood disorders, anxiety, panic attacks, etc., but also for the fact that it happens to have very few side effects and has the added benefit of helping with IBS. I won't lie to you, if you start on this drug, you will probably have side effects, and if you stop this drug, you will probably have side effects. The probability is most likely at least a 50% chance or more. These side effects include, but aren't limited to: shakiness, night sweats, tremors, a "weird" feeling that I can only describe as being similar to a panic attack - almost feels like my heart is palpitating or that someone is laying a cell phone on vibrate on my chest. Ok, the vibrating feeling is a bit exaggerated, but I can't think of a good way to describe it. The doc should start you first on starter packs, which are like sample packs that start you on the lowest dose and move you slowly to higher doses until you and your doc believe you've reached your most therapeutic level of the drug. They come in capsule form. The reason why you'll get these effects is b/c it will take some time for your body to adjust to the levels of the drug and once it's in your system, you'll notice the side effects taper off and practically disappear. As long as you maintain the therapeutic level you and your doc believe is necessary for you, you should have little to no other side effects. But, remember to ask about drug interactions w/any other RX or OTC meds you are taking. If you ever have to go off the Effexor, you need to be weaned off of it. During the weaning process, you'll most likely feel the same side effects as you did when you started the drug. If you stop this drug cold turkey (like I've had to do twice before), the side effects are nasty - I suffered for 3 straight years of tremors, night sweats, a constant feeling of panic attacks, a weird dizzy sensation, etc. While you're on the drug regularly and on a regular dose as your doc prescribes, the sexual side effects are not bad at all. Again, talk to your doc about your concerns about side effects. I had hardly any side effects on this drug once I was on a therapeutic level. It was great! Just don't let those first side effects freak you out. Again, this is from my own experiences as well as my understanding of the side effects and when and why they occur. I've had lots of time to discuss these matters with four different docs and 3 out of 4 were supportive of my using the drug. Good luck, Lisa!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#278175 - 08/13/06 10:56 AM
Rachel F

Reged: 08/11/06
Loc: Southwest Indiana

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards and newly diagnosed IBS-D. I saw your post on Effexor and wondered if you would mind sharing a little how much its helped you and what other ADs you've tried that worked or didn't. it sounds like from your post this was really helpful in controlling your symptoms? I'm on the IBS diet from Heather, and its helped a lot but my stability seems to come and go, is this normal in the beginning? Also, I've noticed that when I have a stressful event (job interview, high stress in school, traveling) I always get D, not matter how safe I eat. Thinking that maybe an AD might help then and trying to get information from those who've been there already. Grateful for any info you or others can pass along...

#278203 - 08/13/06 07:56 PM
AmandaM

Hi Rachel,

I used to experience the same problems with D. I followed Heather's diet strictly and took my Immodium daily. But whenever something very stressful came up, or I felt anxious, I would get an uncomfortable BM if not D.

It couldn't hurt to discuss the possibility of going on an AD with your doctor, especially if you are following the diet and notice that stressful situations cause the D. Personally, an AD is essential to me living a normal life. After starting Effexor XR, my IBS virtually disappeared. You still have to follow the diet religiously, though, along with exercise, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to share my experiences

Re: Effexor XR - sorry long reply new
      #278227 - 08/14/06 07:29 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Thanks, Sommer and Amanda!

I am now on day 5 of Effexor and have increased from 37.5 mg/day to 75 mg/day (two doses). The first day I took it, I took it in the morning and I felt WEIRD all day. First, I got dizzy and nauseous, but that went away after an hour or so. Then the rest of the day I just felt "out of it"; not sure how else to describe it. I felt much better the second day, and haven't noticed much in the way of side effects since then. I am completely off the Prozac now, so hopefully things will start to "balance out" soon. I found out that Effexor worked really well for my mom and also a cousin, and ADs typically work similarly for family members, so my doctor agreed it was a good route to go. I also plan to start the hyno CDs this week, so I'm excited about getting myself back on track.

Not sure yet if the sexual side effects are still an issue.

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review