Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Foods to add calories to my diet
      #250326 - 03/06/06 06:25 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hey everyone,

I'm on a mission to gain weight and so far I'm doing pretty well. I'm looking for new snacks that have enough calories in them. So far I rely on Lays chips, brownies, and muffins to get some extra calories. I can't believe I would say this but I'm getting tired of eating this stuff every single day!

I can tolerate quite a bit, just no dairy at all. I used to eat a lot of dairy (never going back to that), and I think that was a big source of cals for me that I'm now missing.

I'm a student, and I don't have too much time for cooking. I make a batch of brownies once a week, but other than that I don't cook a lot.

Anybody have any good snack food ideas?

Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

hey kat new
      #250342 - 03/06/06 07:59 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i hear ya about being short on time! you could try adding in soy yogurts if youre missing the dairy calories you dont get anymore. i dont eat dairy either--there is also vegan cheese out there [mostly at whole foods] if you want to make sandwiches or macaroni. PBJ is good for calories and theres a variety of nuts/flavors to choose from. also try checking the recipe page here and skimming heather's posted recipes too! theres tons of different breads that you could make with your brownies so you have more treats inbetween classes. good luck finding time!! its a challenge to eat-and-run.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

good luck.. new
      #250376 - 03/07/06 05:55 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I trained for a major long distance bike ride last year and I had to count calories.. a) I made sure to get 6 at least 200 calorie meals/snacks in... b) I ate a lot of high caloric foods.. muffins, quick breads, pasta, sweets, etc.. along with plenty of proteins in chicken and fish and soy...

One warning- vegan dairy subs often still ahve cassein or whey and if you are sensitive to them you need to avoid them anyway.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: good luck.. new
      #250407 - 03/07/06 08:16 AM
K2

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of adding another "meal" to my day. Right now I'm doing breakfast/lunch/dinner but I think I might try to have 2 lunch-type meals in a day. I already eat lots of rice, pasta and bread.

I'm getting about 35g of protein per day from just meat (turkey, chicken, and shrimp with occaisional salmon). Is this enough?

Also, just wondering what types of cookies does anyone eat? I love chocolate chip, but I've stayed away since becoming stable. Right now I just eat arrowroot cookies, but are there others I could try?

Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

I don't do cookies.. new
      #250500 - 03/07/06 11:37 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

never have.. other then merengue kisses and arrowroot cookies.. I do candied nuts though.. and I imagine your ok on the meats. the important thing is to calculate how many calories you are burning and then intake more... I aimed for maitaining- but that meant ingesting 2300-2600 calories a day! not easy, but doable..

I ate 2-3 smaller snacks and 3-4 meals a day.. one big trick to even continued stability with IBS is eating many smaller meals... cookies are harder due to fat content normally..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I don't do cookies.. new
      #250584 - 03/07/06 01:34 PM
K2

hmm maybe I'll experiment a bit with cookies but very carefully..
I've been couting calories and according to an online calculator I need about 2200 per day to gain 1lb per week. So my goal everyday is to eat at least that, and more if possible.

We'll see how it goes, I just have to be patient.
Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Foods to add calories to my diet new
      #250613 - 03/07/06 02:53 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I also have trouble keeping weight on. I make the zuchinni and pumpkin spice bread often. I also make myself rice krispy treats all the time. And I eat little boxes of animal crackers, too. Be careful with all of those store bought things if you are sensitive to high fructose corn syrup. The rice krispies and animal crackers have high fructose corn syrup, but it is not enough to bother me, so you will have to gauge it for your own body.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review